Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine to far to Drivers Side?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine to far to Drivers Side?

Hi Guys-Did a test fit of my 351w based motor to see how much clearance I would have between my firewall and valve cover and opened up another can of worms. It appears my engine sits too far to the Drivers Side. If you reference the drivers side and passanger side header in relation to the footboxes my drivers side header is about 1.5" closer to that side as compared to the passanger side.

This also brings up 2 other issues if the motor stays this way....there is no possible way to attach the ceramic spark plug ends and there is not much room for a drivers side gas pedal bump out mod.

I just finished checking the motor mounts to see if I could have possibly mixed them up but it appears they can only go on one way.

Engine was also very tight to get the motor mount bolts and pins to drop into their perspective spots, leaving virtually no wiggle room for the amount of side to side adjustment I need. All the research I have done indicates if anything the motor should sit more to the passanger side.

As always any thoughts or ideas on what I did incorrectly? The motor mounts were ordered from factory five and fit the engine nicely.

Thanks again-John

PS One other thing, I bought the kit from a guy who was going to put a FE block in it. Are the frame rail engine mounts Engine specific?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    As responded on the other forum: Can't give you a complete answer, but several responses.

Don't use the clearance to the footboxes as an indication. The DS is much bigger and much closer. It's tight on the DS for plugs with a 302 block. 351 is worse. Especially the back two. Looks pretty normal to me. The available space on the PS looks normal as well. That's the area a number of builds reclaim with a PS footbox mod.

Look at the center line of the engine compared to the center line on the frame. I can't tell if the picture is exactly centered. But the front view looks like the crank pulley is just to the PS of the X-member cross. That would be about right.

Different length headers from side-to-side and slightly different where they come out of the body isn't unusual. Can't be any more specific than that with your exact parts.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glastron351 View Post
    ...PS One other thing, I bought the kit from a guy who was going to put a FE block in it. Are the frame rail engine mounts Engine specific?
    I know when you order the car, they ask you what engine you're going to use and place the motor mounts according. So, yes, I believe that they are engine specfic.

From the "Complete Mk-IV kit" order page: https://www.factoryfive.com/order-a-...-complete-kit/

"Choose an engine/transmission mount package:*
    13083 - 302/351W Mounts
    12477 - 390/427/428 Big Block Mounts
    15440 - 4.6L/5.0L Coyote Mounts with transmission mount plate"

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 03-05-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

It's tight on the DS for plugs with a 302 block. 351 is worse. Especially the back two. Looks pretty normal to me. The available space on the PS looks normal as well.

Looks normal to me.

They really should only send standard footbox sheetmetal out for 302s, at a max.

The mod motor footbox sheet metal would be a better place to start for all the larger engines.

Many of us with 351s have done a mod to the drivers side footbox - most noted of these being "2bking" (he made several sets + PDF drawings to boot).

You can't get to the back two plugs / plug wires / header bolts without doing it...

Fastest thing I could find to explain this mod is post #21 here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...5-quot-wheels)

Naturally, you're going to prototype in cardboard and then fab it up in aluminum.

IMG_0096.jpg

I always thought the welded in frame rail motor mounts were the same for all engines, but I don't know that for a fact - ask FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I know when you order the car, they ask you what engine you're going to use and place the motor mounts according. So, yes, I believe that they are engine specfic... Ray
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    I always thought the welded in frame rail motor mounts were the same for all engines, but I don't know that for a fact - ask FFR...
    Chassis mounts are the same for all engine options. No difference there. The differences are what motor mounts are provided (if part of the kit you order), what driveshaft length and adapters for your engine/trans combo, what headers you need, etc.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Left and right are not mirror images either for footboxes or the headers & sidepipes. Engine sits offset to the passenger side by design. Nothing appears amiss in your photos.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Looks normal to me.

They really should only send standard footbox sheetmetal out for 302s, at a max.

The mod motor footbox sheet metal would be a better place to start for all the larger engines.
    If you are referring to the old Mod Motor sheet metal provided in the 2013-2015 kits, that is the worst design available for both foot room and engine space. It is what prompted me to design the foot box mod you refer to. The sheet metal currently provided in the FFR kits mimic the design I did and is available from FFR.

Many of us with 351s have done a mod to the drivers side footbox - most noted of these being "2bking" (he made several sets + PDF drawings to boot).
    You can't get to the back two plugs / plug wires / header bolts without doing it...
    You are correct but suggest contacting FFR for a DS foot box sheet metal. Not only do you get the engine/foot room but also the expanded foot box room on the left side next to the body. If you want to make your own, my plans are available but require a sheet metal brake and perhaps a $100 investment in sheet metal.

Fastest thing I could find to explain this mod is post #21 here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...5-quot-wheels)
    The sheet metal shown is the current DS from FFR
    It will be a bit of work to change out the sheet metal but will benefit you with both foot room and engine space.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post

If you are referring to the old Mod Motor sheet metal provided in the 2013-2015 kits, that is the worst design available for both foot room and engine space.

I never got to try any of the mod motor sheet metal, I just thought it might have been a better place to start (re) fabrication.

I didn't realize it screwed up foot room badly.

I thought you + I started from the early Mk4 (~2010) standard footbox sheet metal (which is what the OP here appears to have), and your mod has been widely appreciated - apparently you started from the 2013 mod motor sheet metal (I missed that part).

I didn't know FFR had incorporated it.
    Last edited by mike223; 03-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you have earlier foot box sheet metal. Mine came with the top section angled away from the motor and there is plenty of room with a 289. I bought my kit in Sept 16. Your motor is a little higher and wider, but the newer foot box design would give you the extra clearance needed. Pm your email and I'll send a pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    PeteH,,,pm sent. Thanks!

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess the good news is that so far things are on track, but it looks like I will be doing a bunch of footbox mods. Picked up a 30" brake so should be able to do some bends as required. Again Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1200.JPG

351W installed, tight but able to access the plugs with no issues. The problem I had/have is the length of the PS side header, needed to add a 1/2" spacer & wedge for correct clearance/alignment of side pipe. Do your header flanges line up with the outsides of the DS & PS footboxes?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Guys! Called FF and ordered a new DS footbox assembly. Will save me a ton of time rather then doing the fab work myself.

Cheers

JG