Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Type 65 Coupe Owner Saying Hello

Post Thanks / Like

New Type 65 Coupe Owner Saying Hello

Greetings from Colorado. I have been lurking on the forum and learning as much as I could for the past few years. Now, I have finally saved enough to start my build and I have ordered a Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Complete kit. My kit won't get to me until late May, which means I still have some time to fix up my garage.

I am looking forward to the build process and really learning about everything in depth. I have done maintenance and bolt on modifications to my cars in the past, however, I have never done a full build before. In my opinion, there is no better way to learn then to jump in and do it, so I am jumping in with a big grin on my face. My father and brother are planning on coming over and helping one night a week and I am really looking forward to spending time with them. My cousin and his son are also interested and are going to come over from time to time as well. With how much everyone on here has already helped me and each other, I am quickly seeing what is meant when I hear that Factory Five is all about community. Pretty cool.

I love to take drives through the mountains and plan to take my car out on nice days. I also want to go to some cruises and local car shows, so it is going to be a driver. I also plan to AutoX and do some track days and time trials a few times a year.

I am planning on doing a Coyote with a TKO600 and IRS, which I think should make it a lot of fun to drive. I will also do power steering and air conditioning with sound and heat insolation. I can't decide on a color yet. I like the blue with white stripes a lot but I also want it to be my own and not simply a copy. I was thinking of a dark gray pearl with a lighter gray stipe and then trying to match the light gray with power coating in the engine bay. I have also been thinking of a dark purple pearl with graphite stripes. I can't decide. I think the car has terrific curves, and I want to show them off with a pearl paint job, but I just can't decide at all.
    Last edited by Clover; 03-28-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Lots of time to think about those colour choices. :-) :-)
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome welcome! It is a blast here. I'm on my second build. First an 818 and now a coupe. I love this community.
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    The process has begun, sort of. I built a shed and got a lot of stuff from the garage moved into it. I also ordered a big new tool chest that will actually fit all my tools and gives me a nice big (72 inch) workspace. I am still getting everything put away but already there is a huge improvement in my garage. It is not a big space, so I really need to get rid of everything I don't need and get everything else well organized to make it work. I also have a couple electricians coming by to give me quotes on adding a 220v outlet and adding wiring for another couple overhead lights. I had been thinking of wiring that all myself and it does not seem complicated, however, my wife has drawn a line in the sand and that line is on this side of 220v and 50 amps. I guess she has seen me do too many stupid things at this point. I can be a little too much like my idle Tim "Tool Man" Taylor sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the adventure of your life.
    Ours is built with a Coyote, Ford MT-82 (mustang tranny), and IRS. We went a little cazy....The auto version of time the toolman works for me...never too much boost. 2018-01-16 16.21.15-LR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, what a beauty. More Power grhh rhh rrrhhh! Do you guys have any more info on your build? I think I found your old build log for the Coupe but it only went up until you had the body painted and you never even revealed what it looked like. I know I have also come across some pictures of the interior, which looked great, however, I have never seen the whole thing. Such a tease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and you came to the right place to get info during your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome; you are in for a good time.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit should have been completed on Saturday and I was actually in Massachusetts but was not able to go by the factory. We had my brother in law's graduation a couple hours away and I ended up needing to work as well. Really wish I could have gone and saw the factory and given the team some treats. My new vice showed up. Kind of dorky but I have wanted to get a good vice for a while and kind of geeked out on it. Made my Amazon Prime membership payoff once again. Can't believe the had free shipping on a 70lbs. vice that is the priced lower then other places that also charge shipping.

Now I am itching for a call from Stewart Transportation saying they loaded up my kit and are headed my way. I know two other kits that were also finished on 5/19 and are getting shipped out west as well, so I hope I don't need to wait too long. I actually have down time at work coming up and would love to be able to take some time and get a good start on the kit. I know I won't be able to focus on my work right after the kit shows up anyways.
    Last edited by Clover; 05-29-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy weekend getting ready for the kit. I got the 220v 50 amp line run out to the garage and set up an outlet for it. I also added a lot of light. A little over 20,000 lumens in total for my 2 car garage. Much better now. I also mounted my bench vice, might have gone a bit overboard on it. I think my bench is the limiting factor in the equation and will give out long before the vice. Spray foam insolation and then drywall are next up, should not be a problem to get that done before the kit comes considering it still has not shipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think our kits are coming on the same truck... yours will make it first, obviously. They are telling me the West Coast Truck loads up Mon/Tues. Killing me...
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know, thanks for the update. The wait sure sucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got word that my kit should be shipping out on Tuesday in the truck going to the west coast. I am super excited and can't wait to get wrenching. On the down side, the spray insolation I ordered was backordered and has not yet shipped. I am not going to end up with much time to do the insulation, drywall, texture, and paint before my kit gets to me.

I still need to find the 3.73 torsion center section, hubs, and spindles. I did not realize how hard those are to find now that Ford Performance stopped selling them. Anybody know where I might be able to find one now?

I also need wheels and tires soon. I was wanting to go with 18 in wheels and a 295 front by 335 rear tires I think but I am having a harder time finding wheels then I thought as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I still need to find the 3.73 torsion center section, hubs, and spindles. I did not realize how hard those are to find now that Ford Performance stopped selling them. Anybody know where I might be able to find one now?
    I ran into that trying to buy the 3.73 Torsen center section for my Coupe build. Ford Performance didn't have any more and discontinued them as you said. Summit had a couple in the warehouse in Las Vegas, so grabbed one. That was some months ago so I'm sure the new supply is dried up everywhere. Keep your eye on salvage sources and eBay. They come up pretty regularly. They're pretty bullet proof, so I wouldn't be afraid to go that route. The Mustang IRS knuckle and hub set (part number M-5970-M) is still a stock item and widely available.

Glad to hear your kit will soon be on the way. Good times ahead!
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-02-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.