I will do my best to be neutral with my opinion on taxes. (note I failed)

In Colorado they started a new law in July 2017 that requires all business that sell greater than $100,000 of tangible property to residents of Colorado must file a report to the state with the name address and amount that each Colorado resident spent. The resident if they spend more that $500 out of state is to pay the tax, yes technically this means even if you travel and purchase something out of state while traveling you are supposed to come back home and file a report and pay 2.9% tax on what you bought out of state. As part of the reporting the businesses are required to do, if a person does spend more than $500 with a vendor they need to send said consumer resident a notification letter with the total amount they spent for the year and that they may be required to pay use tax on that amount.

In previous years we residents as part of our annual tax filing were asked to self report on how much we spent out of state and dutifully pay that tax. There was no way for the state to know though. Now they will have far better records for each person of what in fact they did spend in online purchases. These letters by the way were jolting reminders of how much I have spent in modification parts for my build. Mama raised an eyebrow.

As it turns out the law has some teeth to it now because if you under report and the state checks against its records that businesses have provided, they can haul you in to audit you, apply penalties and interest on top of the assessment of what they say you do owe in use tax. Seems there is significant responsibility of record keeping on us as individuals to keep track of our out of state online purchase where the business does not collect sales tax. It isn't very clear but they could even go so far as to require you to file a monthly remittance. They want their money, oh wait who's money is it.... sorry my opinion slipping through.

I moved from my homeland Toronto, Ontario Canada back in 1992 because I was a hard working successful professional and by the time i finished paying my provincial income tax my federal income tax the provincial sales tax and federal goods and services sales tax, putting gas in my car and being an average early 30 something with no kids amount of social drinking, I was paying just over 60% of my income in taxes. Yea I was young and spending what I was earning, buy a house, buy a car, furnish a house, go out to eat (no kids), drink some alcohol (case of beer over $25 due to taxes back then now it is $40 or more for a case of your standard domestic Molson Canadian or Labbatts Blue 24 bottles). I did smoke way back then and a pack of cigarettes was about $6 70% taxes as I recall (now it is $12 ). Anyway it was more than a far too material minded baby boomer could take so I moved to Texas and yes there was a girl involved in that decision too

I have not got a letter from FFR about what I spent for my complete kit, it could still be coming.

So what are the other Colorado residents doing here? I read that other states have passed or are using the Colorado model to create their own laws for collecting these revenues from their citizens. Anyone else from other states facing the same dilemma?
Ron