Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping

Hey all,

I’m a little frustrated.
    Stewart Transportation is a little behind right now. A combination of maintenance, a driver having to go home for a family illness, and I’m sure the weather hasn’t helped lately. It happens.
    The end result is a kit that was complete Feb 24th and I won’t be able to get it until the middle of April.

What are the other ways you guys have used to get your kits home? I’m thinking about renting a u haul and driving it back to WI myself. One of the downsides of this is that I then have to pay sales tax in MA. I don’t know if it would reduce or eliminate the tax I will have to pay when I register the car.

Options?
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    As you've discovered, scheduling challenges abound when shipping large items across the country. Unless you've got a heated work space, you're not going to miss out on a tremendous amount of build time. Then there's the expense of renting a U-Haul, the hassle of loading the frame, body, and 22 boxes(!) on and off the truck, and the time spent driving back and forth in the exact same weather as your Stewart driver. I guess there's no mystery as to what I'd do...

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever I bought a kit and picked it up, I did not pay sales tax, done it twice. You pay the tax once you register the kit in your home state

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=phileas_fogg;316333]As you've discovered, scheduling challenges abound when shipping large items across the country. Unless you've got a heated work space, you're not going to miss out on a tremendous amount of build time. Then there's the expense of renting a U-Haul, the hassle of loading the frame, body, and 22 boxes(!) on and off the truck, and the time spent driving back and forth in the exact same weather as your Stewart driver. I guess there's no mystery as to what I'd do...

John

I am not belittling Stewart Transport or the drivers. Shi* happens. And yes it is much easier to hire them than do it myself. I did have a heater installed in my garage a month ago and am chomping at the bit to use it for my build. I have also been a OTR driver when I was in my 20s. It is just a little frustrating to wait a month and a half. I have this next week off and would love to get started.
    Last edited by Packer fan; 03-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Whenever I bought a kit and picked it up, I did not pay sales tax, done it twice. You pay the tax once you register the kit in your home state

Did you pick it up yourself?
    They said that if I picked it up there would be tax.
    I just need to find another id. : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    No longer the case, but that being the true, you get a credit for the tax you pay them when you go to pay tax in your state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    No longer the case, but that being the true, you get a credit for the tax you pay them when you go to pay tax in your state.
    Thanks Rich,

Tax is a little higher in MA than WI, but it’s no longer a deal breaker.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on both. Factory Five started collecting MA sales tax for customer pickups not long after I picked up #8674 in 2015. Most states have reciprocal agreements so you should get credit for the MA sales tax paid. Easy enough to check with your DMV. Only gotcha is if your tax is less than MA's 6-1/2 percent.

I've gone out there twice from MI to pick up kits. Actually kind of fun. The cost is about a wash.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain, mine was supposed to be delivered early June but didn't show up until mid August. Something about a welder quiting or whatever, FFR was behind. I'm too far away to drive out and WAY too busy working to take the time. In retrospect I wish I had spent the time making sure my shop was ready, collecting the tools I need, getting materials like paint, reading over the build manual, etc. I spent a significant amount of the first few months doing that kind of stuff...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was done last week could not get ahold of Stewart for over a week no call backs was told I would get a call today with a pickup time. No call. I understand being patient don’t like be told one thing when they know it is not the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not have good luck with Stewart last year and would not use them again. There are other companies out there doing the same thing and at least one of them is on the vendors list.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    This is true for many people, but everyone should be careful with this. New York only has a tax agreement with 6 other state. Luckily for me, MA is one of them. It looks like Wisconsin will give a credit for any state, but everyone should check with their own state.
    https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/dtf804.pdf The bottom of this form lists the states for New York

Post Thanks / Like
    I was lucky with Stewart. My MK4 was ready for pickup January 20 and it was delivered on Monday Feb 12. It was delayed a week due to a hydraulic issue but other than that everything went smoothly.

I agree with the comment about getting the build space ready. I built the chassis and body buck ahead of time and tool shopping. That part took me an additional week.

Based on my experience I would use Stewart again.

I'm not sure I would be happy with your schedule though

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only used Stewart once. For my Gen 3 Coupe. I've picked others up myself. For the Coupe, completion date at Factory Five was 11/18/2017. It was delivered on 12/2/2017. That was right through Thanksgiving week. So no complaints from me. Jolene was easy to reach and kept me updated. Same for the driver. The driver did tell me they were adding another full time truck and driver. Said they were having trouble keeping up with the Factory Five volume. Add into that winter weather (bad this year...) and mechanical breakdowns, delays will happen. Too bad. I'm sure there are other transport companies out there. But I'd be a little careful. Their trailers are uniquely set up for transport and delivery of these vehicles.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, road trip! I am in brother....if you need a co pilot, let me know.
    (just need to figure it out sitter for my 3 ninjas)

Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I never used Stewart because I live so close to FFR that I just picked up myself. It looks as though a majority of people here have had a good experience with Stewart so I wouldn’t want to have them lose your business, but if you just can’t wait any longer go on U-Ship and list the shipment and you will have several shippers by this afternoon that will want to haul the load for you. Disclaimer, I’ve never used them so I can’t say anything good or bad about the process but I do go on their site occasionally to see what’s happening.

BigUgly
    FFR 6760 Mk 3.1 Fortes Dart 427 TKO 600 3.55 3 Link Solid Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    The wait is the hardest part. Stewart was great to work with for me. I had really good communication with Jolene and the driver. The driver was able to get my delivery into a very tight spot that many drivers would have likely refused.
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use another shipper you may find that the chassis, body and everything else will need to be crated resulting in additional expense. I too have had multiple kits shipped by Stewart with good results (one was delayed a few days due to an equipment breakdown at FFR which left them unable to load Stewart's truck).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll jump in and say I had delays and frustrations with Stewart as well, but in the end I'll still use them again. I think if they can get back to good communication and being *proactive* about even an email stating there's a delay and why, a lot of customer frustrations would be mitigated.
    The car arrived in great condition, the boxes were unloaded, the car was rolled into my garage and oriented as I wanted, and I didn't have to figure out any of the logistics of transport, timing, etc.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the email from Stewart today. I was getting ready to call them when I got the email. It sounds like they had some unfortunate driver problems. Mine was finished 2/17 and it sounds like it will be here March 22 or so.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I also got an email from Stewart today. Mine is ready to be picked up on March 10th and scheduled for delivery the week of March 19th. They are 10 days behind on picking up shipments from FFR according to the email. Jolene has communicated very well with me at this point. Very unfortunate circumstances they are dealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got an email from Jolene yesterday. Provided FFR has completed my kit, she's estimating I'd get it March 23. Looks like Stewart is going through some issues but it's great to receive emails with status.

The weather that they're having in MA can't be helping either.

Fingers ( and everything else ) crossed that they hit that March 23 date!
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many posts about how awesome Stewart ‘s drivers are on these forums,
    If you can’t wait due to storms etc., get a trailer and pick up your car.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I weighed the pros and cons and decided to drive out at the end of April and pick my kit up. No sure if I should rent a trailer here and haul it both ways or rent one there. Thoughts?
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I would wait for stewart, they are that good!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got my car delivered today. Ordered end of December, completed Feb 10, picked up by Stewart on the 13th and just arrived in San Diego today. I was feeling like the timing was pretty unacceptable, but when you see that red shell getting lowered from the crane on the truck, and you wheel it into your garage, all those negative thoughts just melted away. After me, the driver was headed to Bakersfield, then two cars in the Bay Area, then I think Washington. I spent the afternoon with inventory and just admiring everything. It did sound like Stewart was trying to get things ramped up, but they may be slow for a few more weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What part of San Diego are you in?

Congrats on the delivery!
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    What part of San Diego are you in?

Congrats on the delivery!
    I'm curious also regarding where you are in San Diego. I'm about half way through by Coyote build. I live in San Marcos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I weighed the pros and cons and decided to drive out at the end of April and pick my kit up. No sure if I should rent a trailer here and haul it both ways or rent one there. Thoughts?
    Rob
    I suspect it will be less expensive to rent the trailer in MA, rather than get charged round trip mileage. Plus you'll make better time on the outbound leg with no empty trailer behind you.

Be sure to get a large enough trailer. My complete kit included 22 boxes; some were smallish but most were big.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    I suspect it will be less expensive to rent the trailer in MA, rather than get charged round trip mileage. Plus you'll make better time on the outbound leg with no empty trailer behind you.

Be sure to get a large enough trailer. My complete kit included 22 boxes; some were smallish but most were big.

John
    Trailer rentals typically don't include mileage. Usually it's by the time period -- hours, days, week, etc. Additionally, one-way trips with a drop off other than where you picked it up adds a significant charge. Do the math of course, but I'm betting it's going to be cheaper dragging the trailer both directions. Even with the lower MPG. Ask around. Maybe there's a trailer in your area you could borrow. I've loaned mine out a couple times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in San Jose, CA, my kit was ready at 1/6/2018, and I just received my kit by Stweard this morning 3/9..I know it's pain for the wait..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coyobra View Post
    I'm curious also regarding where you are in San Diego. I'm about half way through by Coyote build. I live in San Marcos.
    I'm in San Marcos too!! San Elijo

Post Thanks / Like
    I rented a 24 foot truck from Budget for about $250. The truck was way too big. A 20 foot truck would be plenty and cheaper. You will need about 4 to 6 guys to help you get it off the truck, but word of mouth and a case of beer and you’ll have 15 drooling dreamers there trying to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    I'm in San Marcos too!! San Elijo
    Small world lewma. I'm right around the corner from you, fairly close to Mission Hills High School. All for getting together if you want to talk about the builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Trailer rentals typically don't include mileage. Usually it's by the time period -- hours, days, week, etc. Additionally, one-way trips with a drop off other than where you picked it up adds a significant charge. Do the math of course, but I'm betting it's going to be cheaper dragging the trailer both directions. Even with the lower MPG. Ask around. Maybe there's a trailer in your area you could borrow. I've loaned mine out a couple times.
    Good advise. I will check rates. Most of the people I know own garden trailers. I should expand my horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by brewha View Post
    I rented a 24 foot truck from Budget for about $250. The truck was way too big. A 20 foot truck would be plenty and cheaper. You will need about 4 to 6 guys to help you get it off the truck, but word of mouth and a case of beer and you’ll have 15 drooling dreamers there trying to help.
    I had not considered renting a truck. Something to think about. I'm sure I could muster some help to unload.

Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post

John
    On more reason to look at renting a truck, I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the key to get the best bang for your buck. For me to rent a truck, fly and drive from Texas it was twice what Stewart wanted per mile. I had it go some 4000 miles round trip for me. Stewart only charged 75 cents a mile or 1500 dollars for 2000 miles. And it was a one man download and Don setup the car in my garage! Very worth it compared to what I would have had to fly, rent and drive. Not counting lost paid leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck in whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    My quote was $1300. That seemed kind of high to South East WI. I figured all in my cost would be about $700 for tolls, trailer rental, hotel gas and food. I will need to burn a vacation day but then I usually have days left over. I considered UShip and other carriers but Stewart IS probably the only company I'd trust to get it right. I tried to talk my wife into coming but she is not too keen on two 17 hour drives in one weekend. If memory serves, it took me about 18 hours to drive from Chicago to Fort Worth several years ago. That puts me about half way between FFR and Fort Worth. With this in mind, $1300 really does seem high. Alone driving for 34 hours is cheap therepy.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    My quote was $1300. That seemed kind of high to South East WI. I figured all in my cost would be about $700 for tolls, trailer rental, hotel gas and food. I will need to burn a vacation day but then I usually have days left over. I considered UShip and other carriers but Stewart IS probably the only company I'd trust to get it right. I tried to talk my wife into coming but she is not too keen on two 17 hour drives in one weekend. If memory serves, it took me about 18 hours to drive from Chicago to Fort Worth several years ago. That puts me about half way between FFR and Fort Worth. With this in mind, $1300 really does seem high. Alone driving for 34 hours is cheap therepy.

Rob
    I tallied $923.29 (I keep pretty detailed records...) driving from SE Michigan to Wareham and back to pick up #8674 Roadster. That's with my own trailer, gas, food, three hotel nights (one each way in transit and one near FF), and tolls. That was in 2015. We averaged around 16 mpg. We didn't stay in high end places. But also not real cheap ones either. Not with my wife on the trip. One thing that surprised me, and maybe you're not taking into account, is tolls are much higher with a trailer. Typically double or more. For me, once I hit the Ohio state line, it's tolls nearly all the rest of the way. Depending on your route, you would probably add Indiana into the mix. Not sure you could do the whole thing for what you think. But having said that, I highly recommend a personal pickup, especially if you haven't been there before. It's a fun trip.

I paid about the same as you quoted for my Gen 3 Coupe Stewart delivery last December. For that price, it's set up in your garage with zero effort or time. It's not a bad deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also made the trip in 2015, very early morning departure on day 1, 16 hours straight thru. Used Holiday Inn points for free hotel, picked up on day 2 and back on the road by late morning. Took a 6 hour overnight nap at a rest stop in Ohio and was home by 10am on day 3. Totaled out at about 2200 miles and 56 hours. Gas, tolls, and trailer rental was about $700.
    Did haul the trailer both ways as I have been told that the rental locations around Wareham don’t rent if you are not local, seems they kept having to get trailers brought back in.
    Another point to remember, you get a factory tour, if you have never been to Factory Five it is worth a visit.
    #8619. Picked up 5/27/15, First Go Cart 7/16, Finally Legal 5/18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast