BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I pay for convenience hence Stewart. $1,300 to Wisconsin actually sounds good; last complete kit I had delivered to Indiana was $1,200. $700 sounds like you may be underestimating a bit unless you expect to pull down 20 MPG+.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove and picked up a year ago, just watched the weather forecast for a couple nice days. I’m only about 600 miles each way so do a full day there, stayed overnight and picked up and took a tour first thing and drove all day back. I rented a 16ft enclosed trailer at home, burn over twice the fuel pulling it, even empty with the drag.
    If you don’t mind the drive and can take the time, I’d recommend visiting and taking the tour, but based on what I spent in gas and a hotel for one night, you’ll probably not save much if any over your Stewart quote.
    I’m just both of Toronto, Canada, Stewart doesn’t cross the border so I didn’t have the option to use them. I looked into a uhaul truck but it was way too much to drive that distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Decisions, decisions. Unfortunately, Stewart would not be able to deliver to my door. I'd have to meet the driver near by and trailer the rest of the way. Sounds like.my estimate was low. That's OK, I am looking forward to the drive. Now, I just need to find a trailer to pull with a 2012 Durango. I looked at the 6X12 but apparently my V6 doesn't cut their mustard.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    When I looked into a trailer to pick up my kit I believe I was told a 14ft was the minimum but 16 was better? It won’t fit inside a 12.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've picked up two so far and had Stewart deliver one. Cost is about the same from Ohio when I figure fuel, hotel etc. Stewart was 2 weeks later than originally scheduled. Discovered substantial crack in body several weeks after arrival. I have another kit that we will hopefully be picking up in about a month. I have room on my trailer for a second if anyone is interested. I can get it to Ohio.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I also thought about getting a rental and doing it myself. It wasn't much about the money and savings, but rather the road trip, memories and FFR tour.
    I ended up choosing Stewart to deliver (mainly due to my 3 boys babysitting) I can tell you when the truck (with FFR logos) showed up in my cul-de-sac it was pretty awesome.

Either way you choose it will bring you some rewards and memories to look back on, cheers!
    Martin
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked mine up at FFR and I live about an hour straight west of Chicago, so a similar drive. I wouldn't have done it any other way and, in hindsight, have recommended this to many other prospective purchasers. If you don't pick your car up, though, at least make time to visit FFR when you have a chance.

I did the trip a little faster than I normally would for such an adventure - I usually prefer to take my time and enjoy the ride. But, on this trip, me and my co-driver stayed focused on making time.

Day 1 - Departed at 4:00 am and drove straight through to Middleborough, MA (hotel just up the road from FFR), arriving at around midnight. Long day on the road.

Day 2 - Arrived at FFR at 8:00 am, received tour from Dave Smith, watched them set-up for the filming of the "Two Guys Garage" episode where they did a road trip to nearby Plymouth, then headed out around 11:00 am on our way to Cobra Automotive in Wallingford, CT. Left our second stop around 1:00 pm and drove straight through the night until we arrived home at around 5:00 am on Day 3.

Got a few hours of sleep, made it to church, then back home to unload with the guys that afternoon.

Total trip was around 2,200 miles. Cost with me buying the meals and paying for two hotel rooms for a night was under $1k. I have my own trailer, so that was a non-issue... though at the time it wasn't the covered Serpent Express, rather an open aluminum car hauler.

Loading up at FFR with my co-driver supervising:

The perma-grin:

Leaving FFR:

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Alig, It looks like the thers is something under the tarp, on the trailer and the body on boards. How did you load/secure and then unload? Thanks for the pics.

Thanks,Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Alig, It looks like the thers is something under the tarp, on the trailer and the body on boards. How did you load/secure and then unload? Thanks for the pics.

Thanks,Rob
    Rob,

I made a frame dolly out of wood that I added wheels to when I got it home. For trailering it, though, I just set the two ends of the dolly (without the rest of the frame work) on four old tires for cushion, then used ratchet straps to hold it to the trailer. Those straps fit through slits in the car jacket / bag that I used to protect it from the elements on the way home.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris. Good information.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    If setting it inside a truck how many ratchet tie downs and where do you attach.
    Would it be possible to also screw down some wood blocks around it to keep it from moving?
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone picked up a kit with an open trailer? I can borrow a trailer (free) drive Sarasota to Wareham and pick up my kit, '35 truck. I have a cap on the truck so some stuff would go in there the rest would be exposed. Stewart quoted $2000, I can do it for $1000 for gas, food and sleep in the truck plus 1 or 2 night in a motel.

Thoughts please.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wingardh View Post
    Has anyone picked up a kit with an open trailer? I can borrow a trailer (free) drive Sarasota to Wareham and pick up my kit, '35 truck. I have a cap on the truck so some stuff would go in there the rest would be exposed. Stewart quoted $2000, I can do it for $1000 for gas, food and sleep in the truck plus 1 or 2 night in a motel.

Thoughts please.

Chris
    Not for nothin but a few posts up in this very thread is a picture of a guy loading and hauling a roadster in an open trailer. Like 4 posts
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

15. Thanks Chris Wingardh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up mine on an open trailer and all 25 boxes fit in the bed of an 8' pickup. I had them set the chassis onn four furniture blankets, strapped it down and down the 500 mile road I went. Had no issues.trailer.png

17. Thanks Chris Wingardh thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12