29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 13.79%
  • No

25 86.21%

Thread: Sub-Divide the Roadster Area

Post Thanks / Like

Sub-Divide the Roadster Area

I've noticed that the Roadster area of the forum isn't sub-divided into general areas of "build"... Electrical, Brakes, Engine/trans, Body, etc.

I inquired the moderators, and the response was "there wasn't much interest by the members" (or something along those lines).

I'm just curious if y'all would like the Roadster area broken up into task-specific areas.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm listening....

PS Nice sig.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Division has been tried before (i.e.; 4.6 mod builds, etc.) and it simply doesn't work.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If thread starters would be nice enough to put a key word in the subject line it would make searches easier. Quite often the thread subject lines are quite cryptic. David can we somehow have a way of selecting a thread category when starting a thread? Perhaps from a drop down menu. That way we can keep a single forum but be able to filter searches more effectively.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    If thread starters would be nice enough to put a key word in the subject line it would make searches easier. Quite often the thread subject lines are quite cryptic. David can we somehow have a way of selecting a thread category when starting a thread? Perhaps from a drop down menu. That way we can keep a single forum but be able to filter searches more effectively.
    I think this is a very good idea
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a no. IMO combined gains a broader audience for responses, which is primary need for those looking for assistance. Subdivide and those looking can find easier, but those with experience aren't seeing the thread to offer a response.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we make this a "sticky" for the duration?

I've just found it frustrating that if I'm looking for ideas on "footbox cooling", or "brake line routing" I have to scan through an entire build-thread for one or two posts about it.
    If these topics were in their own area, I could quickly see ALL ideas about the topic.

Keep up the replies!
    Last edited by Fixit; 03-08-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are looking for "footbox cooling" try going to google and type

site:thefactoryfiveforum.com "footbox cooling"

Coincidentally, you might have a look at my "MKIII Refresh" thread for info on that:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Mounted/page2

Also Coincidendally, I discuss brake line routing in my "15th Anniversary" build thread starting on post 18:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-build-thread

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote is to keep it all in one spot. I sneak glances here during the day, and get caught up on "all things" roadster when I look at the category. I also learn about things ahead of time even though I haven't gotten to a particular step yet. Several areas would never get visited.

The search method that David describes works very well for me to find information regarding a topic that I need help with.

But I do think that Mike N's idea about a drop down at the beginning of the thread is a good idea.
    Dave
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of a drop-down "tag" for the thread would help when searching. I'm new to the forum and actually asked about why the Roadster section wasn't subdivided into categories like I've seen on some of the other forums. The search tip that Edwardb and David H. suggested using Google search with specific search syntax has been a huge help vs. trying to use the search tool within the forum which doesn't work so great in my opinion. The syntax Edwardb showed me to use is this (and I think it provides the most applicable results): https://thefactoryfiveforum.com /footbox cooling
    Last edited by dbo_texas; 03-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it very helpful when the first post in a build thread contains an index. I can't tell you how often I refer to threads like wareaglescott and others' with indexes when I am looking for a quick hint on a topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom61 View Post
    I find it very helpful when the first post in a build thread contains an index. I can't tell you how often I refer to threads like wareaglescott and others' with indexes when I am looking for a quick hint on a topic.
    I agree, but I also have not put in the effort to go back and index my own build thread - its a lot of work and am very appreciative of Scott for taking that initiative.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I'm a no. IMO combined gains a broader audience for responses, which is primary need for those looking for assistance. Subdivide and those looking can find easier, but those with experience aren't seeing the thread to offer a response.
    I agree.
    I tend to look over all the posts under roadster. I will reply if I think I can help, regardless of the topic. I doubt I would bother, if I had to check a half dozen different subject areas. I belonged to a car forum set up like that before, and it grew very tiresome.

I agree, the search function can be frustrating at times, but still, it is very helpful in narrowing down a search for a particular subject matter.
    If all else fails, just post what it is your dealing with, and wait for the answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the sentiment to leave as is. In addition to using the search method described, I will often hit <cntl F> when get to the link I want related to my search, and re-enter the search string, which will take me to the appropriate spots on the page.

That’s not handy on the phone, but scanning through the page from the top usually has its own benefits, including learning something I didn’t know.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    As a relative newbie I guess I’m both poorly qualified and yet well qualified. How’s that for equivocating! But I like it the way it is. Seems pretty easy to search and find info on what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for leave as is as well. David's suggested searching via Google works well. As for other suggestions, yes having a key word in the subject is good or one could have metadata tags that could be selected by the user when creating the thread. This way there remains one forum but if searched on say for "brakes", then all brake threads would appear. This though is only as good as it's used without making it a mandatory selection when creating a thread. Humans tend to be lazy so my guess is many would not select the tag.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two competing thoughts from an old fart that doesn't spend a lot of time on any forums and therefore may not be qualified to even comment.

We are all time constrained and those of us with demanding lives outside of our automotive affliction need to make good use of our available time. I frequently stumble on a thread that is interesting, but don't have time to read the background (sometimes 25 pages) to really know what has been discussed. I'd like to more easily be able to sort and only look at areas of current interest without having to spend hours filtering.

Unfiltered perusing frequently causes me to stumble onto something interesting that I didn't know would spark my interest.

Therefore, I would suggest a system that would allow the reader to select the whole bucket or just a subset as they see fit. So long as the divisions are in place, the consumer can then decide what best suits them on a particular visit. In other words I want it all.

At my business we refer to this as "The egg laying, milk giving, pig that you can ride" or simply unicorn.

Chris