FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Classic 302 engine question

Post Thanks / Like

Classic 302 engine question

I have a ship date (6/30/18) for my truck now and want to get my engine built. Is there any reason (cross member or other) that a front sump oil pan would not work on this build?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only issue I see is it might now work with the FFR electric steering.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both pans work. I had this same question some months back and found that the stock Ford, front sump pan that came with my motor was only very slightly below the front round tube. As I recall, after a lot of careful measuring, the only thing that actually was below the cross member was the drain plug. I eventually opted for a rear sump pan from Canton after talking to Mark at Breeze Automotive. The only real rational for me was it gave me a little more space up front and I just liked the look of it. My sense is both pans work fine including the stock, front sump version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. It seams that most of the long block options out there have the front sump pan. I am glad to here that will probably work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nbjeeptj View Post
    I have a ship date (6/30/18) for my truck now and want to get my engine built. Is there any reason (cross member or other) that a front sump oil pan would not work on this build?
    [[[[ Oooops! Sorry. I missed the fact you were asking about the new truck model. I thought it was about a roadster. My answer may be incorrect. I know nothing about the truck. ]]]]]]

I've put a front sump on my '87 302. No problem, lots of space. Make sure you get a suitable pickup tube to match and a dipstick setup. The stock pump works fine but, if you upgrade to a high volume pump replace the pump shaft with a stronger ARP unit. @25 $ Another thing to consider is the stock pan depth is 8 inches. Most custom pans are the same but a few are deeper which can hang below the frame. There are some custom pans that are a little bit shallow, maybe 7.5" or 7.25" again, make sure you get the suitable pickup tube and dipstick to match. Your transmission case may also hang below the frame if your motor mounts are low. You may want to raise/shim the engine mounts a little if you are worried about high manhole covers in your area.
    Last edited by CNIdog; 03-08-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: wrong kit answer