Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Are these worth anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Are these worth anything?

I have a neighbor that asked me to help him sell these two cars. Both are in various stages of restoration/customization/excessive stereo installation. The first is this 1994 Mustang GTII Saleen:

The odometer says it has 78K miles on it. The hood says it is a "347 Stroker". I don't know if any of that is accurate, as I don't know if this is a real "Saleen" produced car or an attempt to duplicate the look. It has enough speakers in it to fill Diamondbacks Stadium! It has clearly seen some sun, as the rubber and plastic is hard. The DS front fender and the nose is gone, as it was hit in a minor parking lot accident with a truck. The engine looks clean, but the battery is dead. I am sort of considering buying it to either use a donor or put back together if it is more valuable in it's original state. KBB doesn't even show this variant, closest they show is a a Mustang GT with a max value of $1000 at this mileage. The owner's son thinks it is worth $17-20K. (I highly question his judgement for several reasons!) Bottom line, should I investigate this one any further?

Same neighbor also has this 2001 BMW X5 4.6is. Paint job is a badly done home job, car does run, wheels might be more valuable than the car itself!!

I forgot to check the mileage, but I can if someone is interested. It,too, has a ridiculous amount of speakers in it, including a badly built bass cabinet with four 12" Rockford Fosgate speakers. I like the car OK, I am just not sure it is worth the money and effort.

What do you think? What would be a fair price for either car? Are either one of them worth repairing/restoring? Is anyone interested in buying either of them?
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be interested in the Mustang. As it sits it would be $1000-$1500 car.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Without even knowing the mileage of the BMW, the stereo and paint are going to really hurt the value. If the mileage is in the 125-150k range you might be able to squeeze a couple of grand out of it. If it has any mechanical issues, needs tires, excess wear on the interior, even less. Your target audience is going to be the 16-18 year old high school student looking for their first car.

The Saleen could be valuable to a collector if all the parts are there and it runs. Value could cover a pretty wide range with the $17-20k not completely ridiculous for a finished, running car.

Just my opinion and not a professional one at that.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    the Saleem would make an awesome donor car. Forget the blue failure of an suv

Post Thanks / Like
    Much like is the case with 60s era Shelby Mustangs the value of your neighbor's car hinges on whether it is a real Saleen or a fake/clone. The Googles are full of articles regarding authenticity and state that the Saleen Club can verify based on the car's VIN. Here is a forum posting that mentions some quick visuals (and also notes that these can be faked with varying degrees of difficulty)

https://www.cmoc.ca/ford-news-23/sal...t-clone-17371/

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Much like is the case with 60s era Shelby Mustangs the value of your neighbor's car hinges on whether it is a real Saleen or a fake/clone. The Googles are full of articles regarding authenticity and state that the Saleen Club can verify based on the car's VIN. Here is a forum posting that mentions some quick visuals (and also notes that these can be faked with varying degrees of difficulty)

https://www.cmoc.ca/ford-news-23/sal...t-clone-17371/

Jeff
    As usual, you nailed it Jeff! That info was perfect. It came as no surprise to me that this Mustang is not a Saleen, but rather a "Faleen". Nothing matched up. The owner was rather disappointed. Discovered that the engine leaked oil as well. Couldn't even determine the mileage on the BMW because the digital readout that should have showed mileage is fried. Thanks for the education.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 03-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan