Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1,200hp twin-turbo Coyote powered Truck project for Hot Rod Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A lot has been going on the last couple of weeks. Jeff Miller has sprayed out all the panels and is wet sanding/installing everything on the roller over the course of the week. I ended up going with Porsche Sapphire Metallic. It will then go to my fab guys for the custom headers/plumbing done. I should get it back in about 3 weeks and will mostly look like it should.

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7660.jpgIMG_7668.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Same color as my 2018 911! Great choice.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Da Bat is getting everything bolted down. Should be heading to turbo fab tomorrow/Wednesday

IMG_7714.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Twin turbo system taking shape. The positioning of the turbos has changed due to going with a hood. The inner structure wouldn't allow it to sit above the valve covers.

65319191_10156777920894440_7352677320022294528_n.jpgIMG_7902.JPGIMG_7901.JPGIMG_7900.JPGIMG_7899.JPG

6. Likes Straversi, Tree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could I get a NSFW warning next time you're about to post pictures like that?

8. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Haha, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater35 View Post
    Could I get a NSFW warning next time you're about to post pictures like that?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, not sure you're going to like the exhaust dumping out just below the windows. And if I recall, you're in SoCal so you might want to check the vehicle code as CA used to have a restriction on side exhaust dumping between 2' and 11' that is probably still in effect.

Cool project!
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gearhart View Post
    Will Smith Said It Best:

https://youtu.be/g2O7rZTBs7w

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know that all vehicles must have a muffler, but I didn't know there was an exhaust location law?

Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Mark, not sure you're going to like the exhaust dumping out just below the windows. And if I recall, you're in SoCal so you might want to check the vehicle code as CA used to have a restriction on side exhaust dumping between 2' and 11' that is probably still in effect.

Cool project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    For those unfortunate souls still residing in the People's Republik of Kalifornia under their draconian laws, this link to the looney tune vehicle code will be enlightening or disturbing -- either way, it's informative. I only remember some of these stupid laws as I had to study them extensively at the Police Academy and after 27-years some still remain in my cerebral filing system. I'm so happy I no longer have to deal with these insane regulations -- I now live in the free State of Arizona.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=5.&article=2.

Mark, see 27152 for details. Information is power. Use it as you see best.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, never new that existed. If it becomes an issue, we can cut that elbow out and point it at a down angle. I liked it like this first so I will try it out.

I planned on getting a cone insert as "muffler" and seeing if I can get it to pass exhaust dB certification. Turbos really help quiet down the exhaust. It would be something good to have on hand if I got pulled over.

For those unfortunate souls still residing in the People's Republik of Kalifornia under their draconian laws, this link to the looney tune vehicle code will be enlightening or disturbing -- either way, it's informative. I only remember some of these stupid laws as I had to study them extensively at the Police Academy and after 27-years some still remain in my cerebral filing system. I'm so happy I no longer have to deal with these insane regulations -- I now live in the free State of Arizona.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=5.&article=2.

Mark, see 27152 for details. Information is power. Use it as you see best.
    Last edited by Mark Gearhart; 07-02-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Not to stir up a *&$%pot here, but I'm curious to know which of those regulations you find onerous? I've honestly never thought to myself "damn, I wish I could put whistle tips on my car!" or "you know what we need around here?... more Harleys with straight pipes!". I grew up in the SF bay area and I remember the smog being so bad most of the year when I was a kid that they wouldn't let us out onto the playground for lunch. Nowadays we get maybe 3-4 'spare the air' days every summer. I love classic cars and motorcycles and yes the regulations are restrictive compared to other states but on the whole, they do exactly what they were meant to do which is to improve air quality and cut down on obnoxiously loud vehicles. Yes, I know some people think this infringes on their rights but I'm failing to grasp why people think they have the right to be a-holes at all hours of the day and night.
    Wow.....I bet you are fun at parties.

17. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Not to stir up a *&$%pot here, but I'm curious to know which of those regulations you find onerous? I've honestly never thought to myself "damn, I wish I could put whistle tips on my car!" or "you know what we need around here?... more Harleys with straight pipes!". I grew up in the SF bay area and I remember the smog being so bad most of the year when I was a kid that they wouldn't let us out onto the playground for lunch. Nowadays we get maybe 3-4 'spare the air' days every summer. I love classic cars and motorcycles and yes the regulations are restrictive compared to other states but on the whole, they do exactly what they were meant to do which is to improve air quality and cut down on obnoxiously loud vehicles. Yes, I know some people think this infringes on their rights but I'm failing to grasp why people think they have the right to be a-holes at all hours of the day and night.
    Mufflers have nothing to do with air quality....
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

19. Likes abdw-wcw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John, unless you were a member of the legislature that enacted some of these goofy laws you shouldn’t take it personal. I certainly don’t hold you responsible for what your government does. Americans have a long history of criticizing the government. It actually started before this nation was born. And the CA Legislature is such an easy target.

To give some contrast, look at what it takes to get a kit car registered in your State vs. across the river in AZ. I spent a total of an hour at the MVD (DMV to you) getting my vehicle inspection, VIN number assigned and attached to the car, title, registration, & license plate. My title (Pink Slip to you) shows my car was first sold in 1933 – yep, it’s viewed by the State as a 1933 Ford and no smog controls required. But unlike where you live, we have clean clear air.

John, it sounds like you’re happy living under the structure of strict control and everyone deserves to be happy. But lashing out at Harley riders – wow John. When I think of Harley-Davidson I think of America

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, I’m currently using the perforated cones and six perforated discs for mufflers. The discs I fabricated along with the mounting points that allow adding or subtracting discs as needed. The cones weren’t enough for my N/A engine but may be enough for you with the turbos. I’ve calculated the total opening of mine and it equates to a 3” diameter open pipe and give me very little restriction and results in 84 db at 2000 RPM measured at 50’. These make a very clean looking exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I literally only want to run something that appears to be a muffler in the tips that's held in by a set screw, and that's only if I run into issues with law enforcement. I have found that cops usually steer clear of cars that even look pre-65 due to convoluted SMOG laws here. Late model car with an exhaust like this? For sure pulled over day one.

If a vehicle isn't identified in the certification book for testing RPM, then you're given a 3 dB cushion to pass. So, if I say my engine has a rev limit of 6,800 rpm and they test at 3,400 rpm, I just need to come in at 98 dB or less. I know the cone filters are only good for 2-3 dB, but it would be mainly there for show.

Mark, I’m currently using the perforated cones and six perforated discs for mufflers. The discs I fabricated along with the mounting points that allow adding or subtracting discs as needed. The cones weren’t enough for my N/A engine but may be enough for you with the turbos. I’ve calculated the total opening of mine and it equates to a 3” diameter open pipe and give me very little restriction and results in 84 db at 2000 RPM measured at 50’. These make a very clean looking exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you place the PCM and fuse box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sperger72 View Post
    Where did you place the PCM and fuse box?
    Haven't got to wiring yet but I am going to make a large electronics panel to mount off the side of the pedal box and run length wise behind the dash. There's a ton of room behind there. Right now I am just concentrating on getting the Truck "SEMA ready", which places wiring pretty far back on the priority list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

I will be at SEMA. Went in 2016 with my oldest son. Going back this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12