FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3D Madness

Post Thanks / Like

3D Madness

Just thought I'd share my playing with a new 3D printer. Made these for FFR 1467K. Got tired of the rubber gaskets under the Wipers bezels, hood and trunk latches...just didn't look finished.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic. That's a really nice finishing touch. How about doing the windshield post guides too?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job. What are the gaskets made of? Can you 3D print rubber?
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    CDXXVII
    I made these with PLA plastic Filament they are a little stiff not as flexible as rubber but they fit snug more like the older ford OEM product such as the door handle gasket on the early ford mustangs, like the one pictured below.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 65_427_Cobra; 03-10-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Fantastic. That's a really nice finishing touch. How about doing the windshield post guides too?

Thanks David
    Its on my list

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, nice work. Will you share the printer files?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! My 13 year old son has a 3D printer. I've been trying to think up something to design and print off for the FFR. Was thinking about a shallow glove box, but then learned those are available.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    65_427_Cobra,

Great job!

I've looked at printers, the technology is changing every day. I have SolidWorks CAD with the output files for 3D printing.

What printer are you using? Size range?

Thanks,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    65_427_Cobra,

Great job!

I've looked at printers, the technology is changing every day. I have SolidWorks CAD with the output files for 3D printing.

What printer are you using? Size range?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim
    I bought a CR-10 for about $379 build area is 300 x300 x 400. Works really good when you get it dialed in.

Steve
    Dad, can I drive it????... Ever!!

FFR1467K 5.0L, Mass-Flo, T5, Trigo Wheels, Lexus Spectra Mica Blue, Phantom stripes and Smiths Gauges.......POM May 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    You're not going to want to print anything that sees direct sun or significant heat in PLA. I've seen significant dimensional change when PLA gets warm. My printed quadcopter arm bent about 20 degrees when I left it on the package tray in Seattle sun.

ABS requires a new set of printer variables and you have to deal with shrinkage, but it's a much better structural material. Depending on your printer, you might want to keep separate nozzles for PLA and ABS as they sometimes have problems when you switch back and forth between materials.

Looks really good! I've been thinking about using my printer to make mold patterns and do some Aluminum casting, but haven't come across the right part yet.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    You're not going to want to print anything that sees direct sun or significant heat in PLA. I've seen significant dimensional change when PLA gets warm. My printed quadcopter arm bent about 20 degrees when I left it on the package tray in Seattle sun.

ABS requires a new set of printer variables and you have to deal with shrinkage, but it's a much better structural material. Depending on your printer, you might want to keep separate nozzles for PLA and ABS as they sometimes have problems when you switch back and forth between materials. If they melt then ABS or maybe PETG is next on the list.

Steve

Looks really good! I've been thinking about using my printer to make mold patterns and do some Aluminum casting, but haven't come across the right part yet.
    Initiator,
    I was thinking the same thing, I looked at the position of the parts and the amount of material exposed to direct sunlight and was thinking that 90% of the part is under the chrome pieces only the .062 x .125 rim is exposed Plus their on flat surfaces, so as soon as I get a warm and sunny day I am going to park the car outside and see what happens.

Steve
    Dad, can I drive it????... Ever!!

FFR1467K 5.0L, Mass-Flo, T5, Trigo Wheels, Lexus Spectra Mica Blue, Phantom stripes and Smiths Gauges.......POM May 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    steve. i have an ultimaker3 that uses .stl files if you wouldnt mind sharing. i had to make some ABS bezels for dash switches. photo is and optical dillusion.....they are centered20171105_133134-2016x1512.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy cool application

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    You could always paint the parts to solve the UV issue.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines