Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What do you recommend to seal gas line and oil relocation kit threads?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you recommend to seal gas line and oil relocation kit threads?

Looking for a tips to seal a gas line. It is for mechanical pump where the male connector screws in. Something that would apply on thread.

Also, something to seal oil relocation kit tubes. I used Teflon tape, but it is leaking. Again, something on the threads.
    (if difficult, I will get rid of the kit)

Thanks,
    M
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a sealant tape made specifically for petroleum products. It's yellow and I find it at the big box stores. I use that and haven't a leak in 11,000 miles.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    There is a sealant tape made specifically for petroleum products. It's yellow and I find it at the big box stores. I use that and haven't a leak in 11,000 miles.

Ray
    Hi Ray.
    Can you please post a link? I see couple yellow tapes pn Amazon, but they are for natural gas.

Thanks,
    Martin
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Hi. The link don't open (perhaps my cell phone).
    Is it the white tape? I used it already. I can try again and use more of it.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Ray.
    Can you please post a link? I see couple yellow tapes on Amazon, but they are for natural gas.

Thanks,
    Martin
    https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-017065.../dp/B000FKBXCE

Yep, same ones.

Ray

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'll try it. If it worked for you, it better works for me!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like all thread tape, it's very dependent on proper application. Wrap direction, tension etc.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Like all thread tape, it's very dependent on proper application. Wrap direction, tension etc.

Ray
    Oh yes! I can see this on the oil relocation kit. Some connections are just fine and others leak for no reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used loctite thread sealant on all my connections. No issues.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the tape on all my sensors and threaded parts. I use several layers, in the tightening turn direction, and the tension should be enough to impress the threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Loctite thread sealant as well. Teflon tape is not rated for petroleum or brake fluid. It has been discussed in other threads.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Teflon for more than 20 years on everything. Sometimes you just go with what works for you. No argument intended just first hand experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also used Teflon tape on hydraulic fittings forever with good results. I read on here that brake fluid would dissolve the tape and it would start to leak over time. I tore off a small piece from one of my rolls and dropped it in some gasoline. It turned to goo rapidly. I bought thread sealant for my car. Maybe it’s the ethanol or the tape isn’t actually Teflon anymore. I decided not to chance it. Not arguing. Just my experience
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi M,
    This is exactly what I have used for years.

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...ant-with-ptfe/
    Mike Forte: Forte's Parts Connection / Framingham, Mass. 01702 / 508 875 0016 / [email protected] / fortesparts.com / Facebook Instagram: @fortespartconnection Est: 1981 dealing performance parts to build your dream car. A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge. Developer of the early Ford & FE Tremec and Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kits, external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions. Tremec Elite, FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is key it must be PTFE aka teflon

Post Thanks / Like
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What Mike said - Teflon based thread sealant paste.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leave the "Teflon tape" to the plumber, it has no use in automotive. My go-to thread sealer is Loctite PST in stick form. Do yourself a favor and look up PST and the various versions on the Henkel website. Also click on the link below to learn about the three main choice of thread sealants and here's a spoiler: Teflon tape is not a true thread sealant.Guidelines For Choosing A Pipe Thread Sealant - | Plant Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the same thing as Mark Eaton... the ARP stuff. No leaks yet.

The only thing that should need sealant is tapered pipe threads. Anything with a flare should not use sealant. Also, if you have a pipe thread and tape and its still leaking, there may be an issue that sealing paste wont fix. Are you using too much tape? One or two wraps is all thats needed.

Nice thing with the paste is you can wipe away the excess after installing, leaving it nice and pretty.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, the only place I used the tape was on a fitting for my gauge temp sensor at the thermostat, the return for the heater, and oil sender. Everything else should be compression or -an fittings. So this tape should never see fuel or brake fluid. Its got to be used on the right areas for it to be effective long term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting discussion. But note that Teflon is a brand name of a PTFE product. Note also that SS braided PTFE AN hose is rated for all common petroleum products including brake fluid.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started studying this after the last discussion. Someone with a chemical engineering background could probably explain this better. It has to do with the properties of PTFE. By its nature nothing sticks to it which is why it is used as a hose liner and a thread lubricant. To make tape there is a bonding agent involved. Depending on the brand and style of tape, the bonding agent may not be resistant to gasoline or brake fluid. Most white tape falls under this category. This allows the Teflon to move or sag either into or out of the intended place. One way causes a leak, the other causes plugged orifices down stream. And yes, Teflon is trade marked but is used like Kleenex to describe a line of product

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's get back to basics...

A "cone & flare" union does not and should not require sealant of any kind. If it leaks there is something wrong.
    A "taper/wedge/interference" union (Pipe-thread or similar) needs a sealant to fill the inherent gaps between the threads.

Choose the proper sealant for the medium being sealed against. Stay out of the plumbing aisle at Home Depot, and go to the chemicals aisle at a good Automotive parts store. Permatex and Loc-tite make stuff that will cover your needs.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Of the 24 posts in this thread, number 19, 20 21 and24 are the right answes. DO NOT use thread compound on your gasoline lines. The Teflon tape on Amizon that Ray has suggested in NOT for gasoline. This is for natural gas fittings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ALL for your feedback.
    As stated initially, this case is for threaded case only.

I got rid of the oil relocation kit. 8 less threaded connections to worry about.

I ordered multiple tapes and pastes as recommended above.
    Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely love when I see comments like this;

"Leave the "Teflon tape" to the plumber, it has no use in automotive."

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/175002/10002/-1

Must be for "plumbing" the kitchen sink?

Most of the product out have teflon in them to lubricate the threads as you draw them down. For most NPT automotive thread situations I like to use either the Permatex or ARP thread sealant. But sometimes I'll add a single wrap of the tape, kind of a belt and suspenders approach. For fuel lines just run with the paste.
    Frank

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you use PTFE tape along with an anaerobic sealant you are defeating the purpose of the "sealant". I have no illusions that I can convince folks to stop using the tape -- old habits die hard. And for those who claim 100% success -- I believe you. In most cases you will have a leak free seal without the use of any of your favorite sealing methods (except SS pipe threads as they will typically gall upon tightening). NPT (pipe threads) are cut on a 1-degree taper (1.7899 to be precise) and are an interference fit as you tighten them and that's what does the sealing not Teflon tape no matter how many wraps you put on there.

Anaerobic sealers both lubricate the threads AND actually seal any imperfection in the interference fit of the tapered threads. And as a plus some will actually act as a mild thread locker to help ensure fittings don't vibrate loose. The biggest problem with the tape (besides people not knowing how to correctly install it) is that it shears (or dissolves) and the pieces can contaminate the system. On a fluid system that has large passages such as your home water supply there is not much risk. But in hydraulic or fuel systems where small passages can be easily blocked this stuff is a nightmare as once the system is contaminated you will have an extremely difficult time cleaning all that crap out of there. Think about it -- there is not one Detroit automaker that uses tape on taper threads. And forget the argument about it takes too much time to apply by hand as if there was an advantage to the tape there would be automated methods of applying it. You don't think people wind that tape on rolls by hand do you? In contrast, there are automated methods of applying true sealants to taper thread fittings and many of you have probably come across these. Hopefully you did not also wrap these with that tape as a belt and suspenders approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Agree with Mark and others - use this all the time.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Agree with Mark and others - use this all the time.
    Thanks, got this one as well...