Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EFI upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

EFI upgrade

I bought a used MK III last summer and I’m thinking about doing an upgrade to the engine. It is a 331 stroker with dual quads And I’m having problems starting it in the morning sometimes and I also have vapor lock during the hot summer months. So an upgrade to EFI looks to be in my future. Any recommendations as to what systems I should use? I talk to Jeff at Whitby Motorsports and he recommends MSD systems. Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Also, would love to hear peoples thoughts about how I could sell my old dual quad system with the manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the holley sniper, so far it works ok but only put 40 miles on it so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fitech but will need more time with my new car. A guy ran a fitech in a motor home coast to coast with no issues. Tuning has a lot of great features. My 347 made 475 HP first run with it. Self learning and nice price for dual quads.

Post Thanks / Like
    FITech 331 stroker here. Bolt it on and forget about it. Tweak the tune settings to suit your preference as time goes by. If you have the right distributor, you can even control your timing. Built in fuel pressure regulator eliminates space otherwise used with an external unit.
    Last edited by RickP; 03-11-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like port injection systems like the Edelbrock Pro-Flow. They have the fuel injectors directly over the intake port of the head. There are a lot of advantages to this. A carb type system requires a fairly high intake charge velocity, just like a carb does. If you have big ports and a big cam, at low speeds the fuel can fall out of suspension and puddle. That results in poor performance until you get the rpm's up.

Systems like FItech and the Holley Sniper put the injectors up above the carb pad. That is better than a carb, but still subject to the same limitations.

Also, port systems are sequential at low speeds. Meaning that the injectors only fire as the intake valve is opening. Much more efficient; which is why the factory does it this way.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...pf3-kits.shtml

For ultimate top end power, both will produce pretty much the same results. For low speed cruising and driving around town, the port style will produce better results.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running an EZ efi 2.0 on my Cobra. I have installed a Fitech on a friends car and run a Mass flo system before. Currently putting on a Holley stystem on a 496 BB Chevy. So far all have way better driveability than a carb under all circumstances. I have vowed not to go back to a carb on anything. All the systems once tuned and calibrated are working fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just helped my brother put a Fitech on a 55 Chevy with a 350. Works awesome! A friend has one on a Mopar 383 and likes it a lot also. RickP, I'm curious about the built in fuel pressure regulator as we had trouble with fuel pressure on initial startup and Fitech told us we need a remote pressure regulator. We installed one, adjusted accordingly and have been trouble free since. This unit was bought new last fall. Changes since then maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a dual quad intake run the fitech dual quad efi system. I use a lot of them and they work great.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZREALTOR View Post
    I just helped my brother put a Fitech on a 55 Chevy with a 350. Works awesome! A friend has one on a Mopar 383 and likes it a lot also. RickP, I'm curious about the built in fuel pressure regulator as we had trouble with fuel pressure on initial startup and Fitech told us we need a remote pressure regulator. We installed one, adjusted accordingly and have been trouble free since. This unit was bought new last fall. Changes since then maybe?
    I don't know what model you your buddy has but the 400 has a Regulator built into the throttle body that regulates pressure @58psi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you run the stock FFR/Mustang in-tank fuel pump and FFR fuel lines, or do they need to be upgraded?
    (Running a mildy upgraded 302, roughly 350hp at the crank)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Can you run the stock FFR/Mustang in-tank fuel pump and FFR fuel lines, or do they need to be upgraded?
    I'm not exactly positive on the FFR fuel line sizes; 5/16 feed/1/4 return? I don't think that would be adequate. I am running 3/8 return and feed. I have a 155LPH in tank pump from Breeze. With a return line, your tank needs to be vented which I did with the Breeze Big Bore Vent check kit. You will also need a 30 micron filter or better on the feed line between tank and FiTech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Both Weendoggy and I are feeding our 302 SBFs / Holley Terminator system with 5/16" feed, 1/4" return. I don't know his fuel pump, but mine is an in-tank Walbro GSS242 rated at 190 LPH. He's got a wealth of information on his website: http://www.weendoggy.com/fuel.htm.

Truth in advertising: I'm still building and so not on the road yet; go carting has been a blast. Weendoggy has been running the described fuel system since 2014.

Cheers,

John
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 03-11-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    My choice for my 408 stroker was the Hilborn 8 stack. I NEVER get tired of looking at it. It wasn’t cheap but oh man, it runs great and looks so cool.