Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield header hole thread size

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield header hole thread size

Anyone know what thread size the holes in the windshield for the sun visors are? I have sun visors, the supplied screws seem to have a larger and/or coarser thread than the holes in the windshield header.

Post Thanks / Like
    There seems to be some variation. For my #8674 build, the FF visors came with 6-32 mounting screws. But they didn't fit the supplied windshield. I found they were M3 metric threads. M3 x 0.5 mm go in perfectly. These from McMaster if you need a source: https://www.mcmaster.com/#90258a173/=1bxy8kr. I didn't find them to be a hardware store item. At least in stainless and with the right style head.

But be very careful. This is where guys break windshields. You don't want the screws going in any further than the thickness of the frame. There's a gasket in there, but sometimes the raw glass is exposed under the screw holes. Touch the glass, well you know the rest... I used a pin gauge and measured each hole and carefully take a little off the end of each screw so they only go in as far as necessary. Measure and fit each one. Don't assume anything. Just a touch on the sanding disk was about all it took for each. Some take the windshield apart to avoid hitting the glass. That's an option, but it's a bit of a pain IMO and I haven't found it necessary. Just be super careful.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    M3 sounds about right for what I am looking at on my windshield. Thanks for the help and the heads up on not hitting the glass, I’m aware and was trying to figure out the depth when I determined the threads don’t match.
    I’m on the fence about using them anyway, I’m 6’2 and already looking out the top of the windshield, not sure how much they are going to obstruct the view? I believe when I ordered them it was because they are supposed to cut down wind buffeting? Anyone tall comment on them obstructing view or not? How useful does everyone find them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Murd

You may want to check this thread there Jeff describes another solution to mounting the sun visors

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...927#post235927

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s great thanks Rick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Murd
    Im also 6'2" and i raised my seats 1" and have no trouble seeing thru the windshield the visors or up most of the time and work.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Walt, time for a hardware store trip to find the right parts for install, kind of like most steps of the build!