Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Koni shock lifespan?

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Koni shock lifespan?

I've been driving my FFR for about 15 years now, 14 with the red Koni shocks from FFR. How long should I expect them to last? I've got about 40k miles on them. The ride feels fine, like it did 14 years ago. But as my car gets older, I'm wondering what kinds of things I should replace just because they're old.
    Last edited by Bill_VA; 11-21-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most service items on a street car fall under "condition based maintenance" and are only changed when they wear out or stop functioning properly. Shocks are usually changed when they wear out or start leaking (seals wear out). Some things are "cycle based" where preventative maintenance is performed on a usage schedule such as oil changes and chassis lubrication. And tires are changed when either they wear out (condition based) or exceed their useful life (calendar based) which a rule of thumb is ~six-years. There are other calendar based preventative maintenance tasks you should consider such as changing brake fluid and coolant but these will be based on the system design and the product used. And some items have both cycle and calendar based limits such as oil.

Your home built car doesn't come with a service interval manual so you will have to develop your own preventative maintenance schedule. Most folks will have their own ideas about maintenance schedules. As an engineer I made my living establishing Reliability Centered Maintenance programs and there is a lot that goes into developing effective preventative maintenance for vehicles and equipment. There is no one size fits all. You may want to look at the maintenance schedule for a similar car such as the era Mustang your drive train came out of. Some items may not apply but if you built your car you should be able to pick and choose what seems reasonable to you.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    40 miles in 14 years? That’s gotta be a typo.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing as most shocks last 100,000 miles on DD, don't know why you'd even think they would need replacing.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    If they aren't leaking run 'em.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that was a typo, 40k miles on the car. Sounds like I'll keep on rolling until they give up. Thanks guys.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Over 83k on my roadster and can’t tell a bit of ride difference! Run what ya brung!!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!