Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SCCA Class

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

SCCA Class

Sooo..... 1st event of the year is weekend after next... what class would think the Hawk Coupe goes in ...XP?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have 200 tread wear (or higher) tires then one of the CAM classes should work.

SCCA has three classes for these types of cars – CAM C, CAM T and CAM S.

CAM-C: With the “C" standing for Contemporary, this class sees car and truck body styles from 1990-on, plus CAM-T class cars. (Minimum weight w/o driver is 3250 lbs.)
    CAM-T: In this case, the “T” stands for Traditional, and this class is for car and truck body styles originating from 1954-89. (Minimum weight w/o driver is 2950 lbs.)
    CAM-S: The “S” stands for Sports and this class is where sports cars, sedans/coupes, and trucks with seating for 2 or more adults. (Minimum weight for 1984+ Corvettes and Vipers is 2900 lbs. Minimum weight for all other cars is 2500 lbs.)
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    CAM for Solo 2?

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike has it. 200 and up treadwear and >minimum weight would get you in CAM-S otherwise you'd go to XP or E-Mod.

The CAM (Classic American Muscle) classes have become very popular in my regions. I really like the concept; it's kind of a run whatcha' brung game that makes a bunch of good noise with big V-8s and lots of camaraderie among the competitors. I've thought about changing tires and moving over from X Prepared to CAM-S but I'd still be about 300# under weight. One of my friends with a Backdraft made the move from XP last year and said "It's not like they weigh us at events"---yeah, true, but I'd know I'm not really legal and don't play that way...

Let us know how it goes Erik!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling that your coupe is over 2500 lbs so you should be good to go in CAM-S. Like Jeff said CAM is turning out to be a fun class.
    Mike............

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am 2882.. so I guess I will charge the go pro... will be neat to have power steering at one of the events finally... I still have stock pads though... but I will be in full learning mode anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using 2450# as the CAM-S class minimum. I just come in over that guideline with a weight of 2455#. Was the weight increased to 2500?

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1496936451

Like above, I just want to be sure I'm legally classed.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    They will most likely allow it in CAM-S for local events, but if you look at the actual rules - only the roadster is legal. The coupe was never technically a production car and is not listed for CAM. The coupe is listed along with the roadster in XP. Unless you are running any of the National Tour or ProSolo events you likely won't get questioned in CAM-S.

I inquired directly with the SCCA before ordering and went with the roadster (due next month) just to avoid any issues. I think CAM-S would be a great home for it and hope they change the rules in the future so I can build one.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ej95Cobra View Post
    I have been using 2450# as the CAM-S class minimum. I just come in over that guideline with a weight of 2455#. Was the weight increased to 2500?

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1496936451

Like above, I just want to be sure I'm legally classed.
    The current weight for 2018 is 2500 lb. (Corrected)
    Last edited by Mike N; 03-13-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Mike............

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew...I just spent $75 on really nice peel off CAM-S lettering.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    CAM-S went up to 2500lb minimum for 2018.

Additional 150lb penalty if using Lexan windshield.

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net...pdf?1512080131

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang!!! Thanks for posting; I guess I'll have to add some weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    When adding weight, generally you try to keep it as low and as centered as possible. One thing to consider when doing this is that you may end up wanting to add it a little more to the passenger side to balance out your weight in the drivers seat. In lightweight cars, the driver's weight can be felt more and have a larger impact on the balance. Maybe you already have it corner balanced with weight in the drivers seat, so do keep your setup in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm loving this thread. I'm still up in the air on what kit I should get. Should I get the Type 65, the Roadster, or the Challenge Car? I like the idea of being able to run in XP or CAM-S. But with the Type 65 not being eligible for CAM-S, I feel a bit differently. I'd rather compete in CAM-S because of the 200 treadwear tires and the heavier weight. If the Type 65 were eligible, you could pretty much run a street car setup and drive to and from events.

Does anyone see the Challenge Car being competitive in XP and/or CAM-S?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coupe is pseudo-eligible for CAM-S at local region events, unless your organization is run by fire-breathing heathens who adhere to every letter of the SCCA Classing Appendix. After all, it's basically a hard top Roadster (C0br@), right?

It's certainly legal in XP, but unless you're a hot shoe it'll be tough to claw back from that PAX. Raw time you'll be rocking though!

Coupe > Challenge Car for autocross purely based on wheelbase alone, looking at this from a high level. Roadster is 90" and coupe is 95". Both are between Mazda Miata and Mini Cooper dimensions. With horsepower and torque several orders of magnitude higher! You have to be FAST on the controls to keep the Roadsters pointed where you want them...and keep them there. They like to "rotate" with little warning, from what I've seen/read. Jeff K would be one to talk to about this. [Note: I do not own or race one personally, so take everything I say as heresy until proven otherwise.]
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    The Coupe is pseudo-eligible for CAM-S at local region events, unless your organization is run by fire-breathing heathens who adhere to every letter of the SCCA Classing Appendix. After all, it's basically a hard top Roadster (C0br@), right?

It's certainly legal in XP, but unless you're a hot shoe it'll be tough to claw back from that PAX. Raw time you'll be rocking though!

Coupe > Challenge Car for autocross purely based on wheelbase alone, looking at this from a high level. Roadster is 90" and coupe is 95". Both are between Mazda Miata and Mini Cooper dimensions. With horsepower and torque several orders of magnitude higher! You have to be FAST on the controls to keep the Roadsters pointed where you want them...and keep them there. They like to "rotate" with little warning, from what I've seen/read. Jeff K would be one to talk to about this. [Note: I do not own or race one personally, so take everything I say as heresy until proven otherwise.]
    All true.

I will add that *near as I can tell* - to approach "competitive", "nationally" - in CAM-S - you're going to need 18" wheels to run the Rival-S in the appropriate sizes. (I should have said Rival-$ - get it, lol)

All that may be putting the cart way before the horse - because it's typically going to take 18-36 months (minimum) of running it hard to actually "master it" to that level (unless you're a 1 in ~2500 "alien" autocross driver). And the rules and "hot" tires may change before you get there (rulebooks are always in flux).

And I'm not certain that either roadster (nor the coupe for that matter) would be competitive at the minimum required weight, compared to some of the other "easier" "heavy hitters" (Z06, etc). It could take a lot of development (that the Z06s already have).

All that said -they're a blast to autocross, and they can certainly be "monster" FTD cars at local events in XP (and that's plenty-o-fun).

I also defer to Jeff, and look forward to any thoughts he has to offer on this topic.
    Last edited by mike223; 07-17-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added Rival-$, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post

I will add that *near as I can tell* - to approach "competitive", "nationally" - in CAM-S - you're going to need a Z06
    There, I fixed it for ya'

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I thought, lol...