FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Driveshaft / engine angle

Post Thanks / Like

Driveshaft / engine angle

Hi,
    Edwardb might have a answer for this because he has the same set up.

I have a gen 2 coyote attached to a t56 magnum transmission and a IRS.
    The motor mounts have been torque down. The transmission is more down the passenger side of the tunnel. I did have to clearance the e brake mount to get the transmission not to rub. The e brake does not fit on the mount because it hits the transmission. I can work on the e brake mount to make it work. I am curious if the driveshaft angle is too large because of the lateral difference. The lateral angle is more than the vertical angle. Should I jack the motor up and round out the motor mount slot enough to angle the motor more to the driver side or just leave it alone.

Thanks
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    I have a gen 2 coyote attached to a t56 magnum transmission and a IRS.
    The motor mounts have been torque down. The transmission is more down the passenger side of the tunnel. I did have to clearance the e brake mount to get the transmission not to rub. The e brake does not fit on the mount because it hits the transmission. I can work on the e brake mount to make it work. I am curious if the driveshaft angle is too large because of the lateral difference. The lateral angle is more than the vertical angle. Should I jack the motor up and round out the motor mount slot enough to angle the motor more to the driver side or just leave it alone.
    I am having the same issue with the T56 magnum hitting the E-Brake bracket. Looks like after i clearance it the T56 will just miss rubbing on the diagonal 3/4" frame piece. I need a 3/4" spacer between the transmission mount and the A-Frame in order to align the drive shaft vertically. I have asked the same lateral alignment question in the other Forum.

Happy Wrenching
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    I also made that same 3/4” spacer.

Thanks

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are talking about skewing the engine / trans in the chassis and if that's the case; be advised that the driveshaft angle relationship with the trans output and pinion angles are important in the vertical and horizontal planes. Many times you will see a specification that has the pinion at a lower angle (angled down in front) than the angle the trans output shaft is on and that's to compensate for axle rotation under acceleration when using elastomer bushings on the control arms.

Your axle housing should be aligned perpendicular to the chassis centerline and your engine / trans centerline should be parallel to the chassis centerline when viewed from the top. If your trans output shaft is skewed (again looking from above) you are setting yourself up for a driveline vibration, the magnitude of which is proportional to the angular variation. From a driveline POV, it's not a problem offsetting your engine and trans left or right but a skewed driveline angle is a problem.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a video that you likely have already seen; however, if you haven't it will likely helped you like it has helped me.

https://youtu.be/Idk3BVDVHq4

This will help see exactly what Naz is describing with respect to the the vertical and horizontal planes.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Your axle housing should be aligned perpendicular to the chassis centerline and your engine / trans centerline should be parallel to the chassis centerline when viewed from the top. If your trans output shaft is skewed (again looking from above) you are setting yourself up for a driveline vibration, the magnitude of which is proportional to the angular variation. From a driveline POV, it's not a problem offsetting your engine and trans left or right but a skewed driveline angle is a problem.
    Note that we both have IRS which fixes the differential in frame. Also there is very little movement available side-to-side with the T56 magnum since it is so large. I assume the 4" frame rails can be used as a point of reference and the horizontal position of the differential and engine/transmission aligned using them.

Thanks
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help you with the T-56 in the Roadster. Haven't tried that. But just to confirm, the entire driveline is offset to the right (toward the passenger this side of the pond) an inch or so. It's intentional. You should see the pinion flange on the diff, solid axle or IRS, is also offset to the right about the same amount. Haven't actually measured it, but for my builds the lateral alignment appeared to be pretty much a straight line. If you're having to slide the engine/trans assembly over at the tailshaft to clear the larger T-56 in the transmission tunnel, that obviously would affect the lateral alignment. T-56 in a Roadster might be a candidate for a top mounted e-brake assembly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to use a 1/2" spacer under the transmission mount and a couple of 1/4" spacers under the differential to get the driveshaft and pinion angles within tolerance. Note that my set up is the old T-bird IRS; spacers under the differential may not be possible with the 2015 Mustang IRS.

John

IMG_2961 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_2968 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_2965 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Can't help you with the T-56 in the Roadster. Haven't tried that. But just to confirm, the entire driveline is offset to the right (toward the passenger this side of the pond) an inch or so. It's intentional. You should see the pinion flange on the diff, solid axle or IRS, is also offset to the right about the same amount. Haven't actually measured it, but for my builds the lateral alignment appeared to be pretty much a straight line. If you're having to slide the engine/trans assembly over at the tailshaft to clear the larger T-56 in the transmission tunnel, that obviously would affect the lateral alignment. T-56 in a Roadster might be a candidate for a top mounted e-brake assembly.
    Thanks - I plan to clearance the E-Brake Bracket and then check the lateral alignment. if it ends up too far right modification to the slotted plate FFR provides to bolt the transmission mount to the transmission will need modification.

Post Thanks / Like
    After further review.....
    I looked at it from behind and below.
    The lateral alignment s a lot closer than I was thinking.

I am going to have to look up how the e brake on the top gets done.

Jim