FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How much room?

Post Thanks / Like

How much room?

How much room is there between the dash and the brake master cylinders? I bought a Dakota Digital gauge cluster that is 2" thick and was wondering if it will fit there or if I need to put it in the middle of the dash.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    There certainly isn't 2 inches. Maybe 1/2 inch. You could mount it up higher to clear the masters. Center might be best though.
    Mike

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    It also depends on which style of master cylinders as some tap of the back next to the dash and others have more room. Offset to the right will likely work if you haven't populated that area. You could also inset only one inch and then trim outward. Somebody has posted that method recently.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I moved the pedal box forward about 1-1/2" so I can mount my gauges where I want them. There's plenty of adjustment in the pedal so there's no worry of running out of travel.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0759.JPGIMG_0818.JPG

Tim, it's easier just to move the gauges on the dash but if you really need room behind the dash or more leg room you can move the pedals & M/Cs quite a bit. I moved mine ~5" forward and ~3" down but that takes some minor fabrication. Just depends how bad you need the room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Clipboard01.jpg

I apologize for the threadjack...
    NAZ, what is this? A hydraulic parking brake? Proportioning valve?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Clipboard01.jpg

I apologize for the threadjack...
    NAZ, what is this? A hydraulic parking brake? Proportioning valve?
    No problem... I was wondering the same thing.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that's a hydraulic parking brake. Easy to install and easy to use. Step on the brake pedal and pull out the valve handle. Let off the pedal and rear brakes are locked. Push the pedal again and the spring loaded valve handle releases the brake. Same concept as used on aircraft. This allows me to dump those big bulky calipers with the integral parking brake mechanism and use a slim Wilwood DynaPro forged 4-piston caliper that will clear 15" wheels even with the larger 12.19" rotors. Better brakes and bigger selection of wheels and tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz,

What part no. and vendor did you use for the Hydraulic Parking Brake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Park Lok from Speedway Motors #910-31301, $29.99. But I've also used one made by Scat, #SVC-70291 from Summit Racing, ~$25.00 of so.

Post Thanks / Like
    But isn't it necessary to have a mechanical independent e-brake? Perhaps I'm remembering from building cars in UK, but there this wouldn't have passed inspection.. I had to add a separate rotor and caliper around my drive shaft because my AP brakes didnt have ebrake support.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    The various states have their own requirements to follow and I'm certainly no expert on any of them. I've studied up on Arizona's requirements and I'm working to achieve compliance with my State's laws only. AZ is not wrapped as tight as some of the other states that seem to want to exercise strict control over their people. When I lived in The People's Republik of Kalifornia if I were to ride my ATV on the street I would expect the local cops to lay down spike strips and SWAT exercise a felony stop of an off-road assault vehicle. Here in AZ my ATVs are licensed for the road and it's common to see folks ride them around town. Licensed and insured, legal to operate on the highway like any other motor vehicle even though they have large placards prominently displayed by the manufacturer stating that they are not to be ridden on the highway. So your State's rules may be very different than mine and forget about all those rules in the UK -- there's not much comparison between the laws here and there, at least not yet.

Google: SEMA Action Network Tag & Title Toolbox. It provides some basic information on what it takes to title a custom car by state. At least you're in Texas and not on the left coast where laws can be very goofy.

Post Thanks / Like
    You must be careful with the hydraulic park lock. I installed one in my first buggy and it worked good except that if it warmed up a bunch since it was set, it would tighten up so much that I could not get it to release without cracking a brake line to relieve pressure. It really got that tight.