BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Not As Loud and Now No Pressure - Solved

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump Not As Loud and Now No Pressure - Solved

-------Resolution---------

Well I ran it dry. I must have not realized how little fuel I had put in originally. New fuel pump works great. Live and learn I guess. Got a new Walbro pump for about $70 so not too much of a hit.

----------------------------
    Need some input here. The other day I noticed that my fuel pump became quieter. Happened between starts a few days apart. And now I have no fuel pressure. I'm in go kart stage so only about 30-40 minutes on the pump between letting it idle and going around the neighborhood. This is on a Gen2 Coyote set up. In tank pump.

Removed it and no visible issues.

Is there a way to bench test the pump? Anybody had this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Last edited by juddster; 09-02-2022 at 09:51 AM.
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the classic failures is the little "S" tube that connects between the pump and the hangar. Sometimes disconnected. I've seen them completed deteriorated. Seems some are not long term compatible with gasoline, which is weird... I'd look at that very closely. Make sure the harness connection to the pump is solid. Those can be suspect. Assuming you don't have any leaks in your system, only other thing might be the pump itself. I'm personally not aware of a bench test procedure. In fact, it's not recommended to run them without fuel.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    One of the classic failures is the little "S" tube that connects between the pump and the hangar. Sometimes disconnected. I've seen them completed deteriorated. Seems some are not long term compatible with gasoline, which is weird... I'd look at that very closely. Make sure the harness connection to the pump is solid. Those can be suspect. Assuming you don't have any leaks in your system, only other thing might be the pump itself. I'm personally not aware of a bench test procedure. In fact, it's not recommended to run them without fuel.
    Thanks for the insight. S tube is good - (Actually had this issue on an old Volvo I owned. The tube was completely disintegrated).

Voltage is good at the connection, but maybe the connection is weak to the pump. I'll check that.

Another thought is that I only started with a 1-2 gallons of gas. However, I've only put 3 miles on the car and have idled it for 20 min max, so I didn't use that much gas, but maybe enough to run it dry and that has caused the failure.
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear

Post Thanks / Like
    See first post for resolution.