Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Compiling list of parts for Coyote build - questions about starter and index plate

Post Thanks / Like

Compiling list of parts for Coyote build - questions about starter and index plate

I'm compiling a list of parts for my upcoming build. I've decided to just stick with the Gen 2 2015-2017 Coyote crate motor rather than wait for the Gen 3 Coyote. After giving it a bit of thought, I'm not really keen on being an early adopter of the Gen 3 and having to fabricate an engine cover that will fit under the Roadster hood. I'm happy to stick with the tried and true and leave the trailblazing to the more experienced.

I'm planning on the Quicktime RM-6080 bellhousing.

1) What starter do you recommend? The FFR Coyote instructions recommend a 2005 Ford Mustang GT Starter such as Duralast DL3299S ($162 at AutoZone).

2) Do I need a starter index/sandwich plate for the RM-6080? If so, what part number?

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd recommend sticking with the Ford Performance M-11000-C50. Quality part that fits and works perfectly. You don't need anything additional with the RM-6080. It comes with the bell housing and block plate. The starter bolts right up.

Understand completely with your decision to use the Gen 2 Coyote. It's proven and works great. Love mine. I don't think it's imminent, but they won't be out there forever. The factory is completely switched over to the Gen 3. Ford Performance said they have about a one year supply of Gen 2's in the warehouse. That was in a presentation I attended a couple months ago.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-14-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My compiled list of powertrain parts comes out to around $14.5K. I think I have a pretty complete list now having compiled a list from the FFR Coyote instructions, build threads, and items I want to upgrade/substitute. I've already received my TKO 600 synch upgraded from Liberty Gears so that leaves me with about $11.5K in components to purchase

When I need to purchase a lot of computer/network equipment from Dell I usually call and talk to a sales person and I can usually just ask for a quote and they will beat the website prices. Does anybody know if Summit will discount a large order like this?
    Last edited by shark92651; 03-14-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,

My experience has been the FFR instructions and list of parts required for your Coyote install are spot on. There are 100s installed in these cars. As you stated, the trailblazing has already been done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cal Forte if you haven’t ordered yet. He knows these cars and exactly what works and fits. He is a forum sponsor and needs the business more than Summit. He is very competitive on price. His Coyote kit is very complete.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry