BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kit arrived, time to join this great community

Post Thanks / Like

Kit arrived, time to join this great community

Hey Y'all,

My name is Scott and I live just east of San Diego.

I have been in love with Cobra's since 1984 when I was lucky enough to get a ride in one. I have now been in a few others, but to this day, I have never felt acceleration in any other car that matched what I felt that day over 30 years ago... In my mind, it was an original but I actually have no idea...

Started researching FF several years ago and went to a few HB events and decided if I ever get one, I wanted to build it. Waited a little longer. Now, With my kids all out of the house (for now at least) I decided to go to Build School to see if I really wanted to take on the scope of this project. Although I love tinkering and fixing everything, but having very average auto/mechanic experience I wanted to be sure. I want the end result to be safe, reliable, and high quality, and awesome. Build school was super helpful and I ordered at the end of December. My car was completed on February 10th, picked up by Steward on the 13th, traveled very slowly across the country but made it to me on March 8.

Basic build is very similar to MANY others I see:
    Mark IV
    IRS
    Coyote
    Willwoods
    Padded dash
    FF Halibrands
    Seat heaters
    No wipers or heater...

I don't really visualize myself doing car shows, but more of a driver and occasional recreational autocross.

I have found so many helpful build threads on here. It has been amazing and inspiring to see the willingness to share ideas and helpful hints. I have to say that I don't really plan on doing a complete build blog... I am staring at computer screens all day long so the last thing I feel like doing when I am home is looking at a screen. But I will post my questions, problems, and fixes so that they may perhaps help others.

My undecided questions:

Color- I don't think I will figure this out for some time, but heavily leaning toward a dark color without strips or perhaps ghost strips. The good think is "Da Bat" is only about 45 minutes north of me, so I am outsourcing the body/paint as I have NO experience in that area.

Hydraulic Clutch??? I have seen the problems with running the clutch cable with heat/room with the Coyote. But has anyone done this successfully? If there isn't a big difference in clutch pressure/performance, is it worth it?

Oh, my Kit.... about 50% done with inventory but.... so far it looks like I have almost everything, and everything I need to start. Two FF boxes of parts made it to my house before the kit did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott!

The 20 post requirement is waived for builders so you should now have full access.

Here are a few threads to help with pic hosting, and maintaining your thread title as you work the build:

Embedding pics:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts
    Maintaining thread titles:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tle-Guidelines

CONGRATULATIONS!

PS I'm a fan of Hydraulic Clutch kits, especially the pusher-type Mike Forte sells.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Scott!

Sounds like a fun time to me! My build plans are similar to yours, but with a 302 from my '93 donor (I have BIG feet), and now that I live in Nevada - no wipers. Since you are in the People's Republic (where everything is illegal), you may very well be required to have both wipers, and a backup light to get past your inspection. Keep me in mind if you need to put in wipers, I have a wiper kit that I don't think I'm going to use, now that I've moved to a more "vehicle friendly" part of the West.

Have fun!

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you David

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Video,

Yes I do live in one very over regulated State! I may end up needing wipers, but if I do, it will be one of those mechanical wiper sets that just might fall off after the car is registered...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Scott,

I never needed a backup light or wipers. I am installing wipers now, mostly for resell value...

Video,
    Good choice for the big feet! See my build threads for more big-boy mods...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun.

Color selection is either you know from day one, or a real struggle. I went round and round, but love my final selection.

I am a proponent of having wipers. Maybe not so much in SoCal, but if you drive it a lot, you will get caught I the rain. Fog can also catch you out in about 2 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!
    I'm a noob too... and my kit will be arriving in mid-May. My setup is similar to yours - and I'm champing at the bit to get started. Already have my IRS donor parts on the bench.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Off topic but...
    Hooray for Fixit who correctly used the expression "champing at the bit". You hardly ever see or hear that these days.
    Most people say "chomping"
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard!

Also, Consider Getting Mark's Seat Brackets & Fan Shrowd!

http://breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=250
    http://breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=1117

His stuff is Top Notch & Well Engineered!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats Scott. I'm in San Marcos, north county San Diego. I'll hopefully have my kit delivered in the next couple weeks. My build looks to be very similar to yours!

Mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Scott. I went to the build school with you and it definitely was exciting to see that I could build one from scratch. I'm fortunate to have Stack down the road from me that is helping me build and saving me lots of time because of his experience building several FFR kits.

will keep an eye on your build.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, you’re going to have a blast!
    I’m just finishing up my build, I have Fortes hydraulic clutch kit on my T5 and very happy. Can’t comment on how it is vs a cable as I’ve only built this one but all the research I did made it seem like a no brainer. Clutch effort seems fairly light, lighter than the 88 Mustang I took the drivetrain from, which was a cable. Instal was very straight forward, so count me in for another recommendation for Forte’s kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Off topic but...
    Hooray for Fixit who correctly used the expression "champing at the bit". You hardly ever see or hear that these days.
    Most people say "chomping"
    Interesting, I've never heard that it's supposed to be "champing". I'll have to change my ways. Thanks for the correction.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    From known reliable sources . . .

"Champing at the bit" vs. "Chomping at the bit"

One definition of bit is a metal mouthpiece used for controlling a horse, and one definition of champ is to bite or chew noisily. These are the senses meant in the idiom champing at the bit, which refers to the tendency of some horses to chew on the bit when impatient or eager. In its figurative sense, it means to show impatience while delayed, or just to be eager to start.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 03-18-2018 at 12:46 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doc! I'm impressed! But, then, I'm easily impressed!

Frank B
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)