BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New tires maybe talked out of billboard tire stickers

Post Thanks / Like

New tires maybe talked out of billboard tire stickers

My tires on my MkII are 15 years old. I bought Cooper Cobras. I also bought Good Year billboard tire lettering.
    I decided to go Cooper white letters out, but I am having doubts.
    The guy I trust to work on my car, who should have a show on TV because of the work he does wasn't feeling it, so I went with the stock Cooper white letters out.
    He said those letters are big. Well, that's the point....
    Here is a pic of the "permanent white letters" loosely taped on so I could see what they look like.
    I know the E is missing from eagle....
    What do you folks think???
    IMG_0082.JPG
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    You asked for opinions...the totally incorrect tread patern shouts "These are not Bilboards" louder than the stickers shout that they are.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My ENTIRE car shouts I'm not a '65 Cobra.
    Keep bringing your opinions!
    Most folks I see wouldn't notice the tread pattern on my tires or the roll bar or the body lines etc etc etc.
    They just ask, "Is it real?" When I say no it's... They walk away.
    If it was real, I'd sell it and retire.
    I am going to stay with the OEM Cooper Cobra whites out.
    They look good (in my opinion)

Pics to come!
    Last edited by mburger; 03-15-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not feeling it. Guess I never understood the the whole "billboard" thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are feeling those are to large check out tirestickers.com They can make you custom ones any size you want.

They look a little big to me but I like the low profile tire/bigger wheel look anyways so my opinion doesn't really matter. Just make it how you like it. That is the best part of building these. Making it exactly how you want it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a billboard fan
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of the billboard look with the big white letters. I'm going that route on my build. I think they look awesome no matter the tread pattern. True, the pattern isn't right, but I feel the white letters catch your eye before you notice the treads. And like you said, 98% of the people won't know the difference. I am considering making a stencil and spray painting mine, but we'll see when I get there. There are several guys that have done the stickers on their cars. One that pops into mind is Kdubu. His look great...
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...17-POM-WINNER!
    To me the lack over overspray makes the stickers look incorrect more than the tread pattern.

Real Billboards...
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...16-POM-WINNER!

Those are probably my two favorite builds that I've seen on the forum.

On a side note, I think tire stickers look good on any size rim. To me it just screams out "race car". I actually have a second set of rims & tires that are 17". I just took delivery of a set of tire stickers for those. Installation will be in my build thread once it warms up enough to put them on.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 03-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have an issue with billboards. I think they look good on some cars, like a well stanced tuner car. I am liking it more lately. Maybe I am watching too many episodes of GasKings on YouTube. These are 60s cars and "raised white letters" were in style back then.

I do have an issue putting "Goodyear" on Coopers. That, to me, is serious RICE. For anyone that is unaware, RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.

I know this is not what you are asking, but I think 440 treadwear tires on a Cobra is pretty much asking for trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I went with the Coopers white letters out. The 295/50/R15 look good in the back. No rubbing. Also, I had the FFR front lower control arms installed and an alignment. Wow, MUCH better turning radius!
    My "tweener" lol.

IMG_0534.jpg
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    When they are brand new, and brilliant white, they certainly aren't quite as race carish..Need to scuff them up a bit..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

I do have an issue putting "Goodyear" on Coopers. That, to me, is serious RICE. For anyone that is unaware, RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The term RICE usually applies to someone or their car who is a wannabe. In other words, they want it to be a race car but it's usually a Honda civic that does 22 second quarter miles. These FFRs are race cars. So I think we have a little more freedom to make it look like a race car. Just my opinion.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the look of stenciled letters on race tires, particularly when they have a bit of overspray as real race tires do. For my Avon CR6ZZ tires, I made my own stencils and used some off-white vinyl dye to spray the name on the sidewalls. The checking and cracking of the dye over time, as well as the further yellowing as it aged, gives the car a nice patina.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Chris.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. The term RICE usually applies to someone or their car who is a wannabe. In other words, they want it to be a race car but it's usually a Honda civic that does 22 second quarter miles. These FFRs are race cars. So I think we have a little more freedom to make it look like a race car. Just my opinion.
    I agree that these are race cars. It is not making it look more race car that I took issue with. REBRANDING tires with stickers.....Rice, rice baby! You can put Goodyear or Hoosier on them, they aren't going to get stickier. That 100% fits the definition. Even more than a big wing on a Civic, which somewhat functions. If he was going to put giant Cooper letters on the side, not an issue.
    RICE is typically kids with Japanese cars. But not always.
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 03-16-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go

eatrice.jpg
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny!
    Mark