FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Placement

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump Placement

I bought the Holly Sniper EFI and it came with an inline fuel pump. According to the installation instructions the pump should be mounted below the gas tank so gravity can keep it primed. That's easier said than done on the Mk4. I had planned to mount it on the 2"x3" frame above the fuel tank with the pre and post filters.

I'm thinking an in-tank pump is the way to go. Have any of you guys mounted an EFI inline pump up on that frame rail? Any problems?

Thanks, Don

Post Thanks / Like
    In tank pump is absolutely the way to go and very easy to do.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Gordon mine is in the tank

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Don, I have the Holley Sniper as well. I think most guys on the forum prefer the in tank pump. I'm going to go with this inline pump that my Sniper came with. It will be easy to change later if I don't like it. I made this bracket for it and installed it sort of like the guy does on the Holley website video. I'll take a photo with the tank this weekend and send it if you like.

MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Breeze in-tank pump. Went right in.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Don, I have the Holley Sniper as well. I think most guys on the forum prefer the in tank pump. I'm going to go with this inline pump that my Sniper came with. It will be easy to change later if I don't like it. I made this bracket for it and installed it sort of like the guy does on the Holley website video. I'll take a photo with the tank this weekend and send it if you like.

That would be great Mark. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would never put a filter on the suction side of a pump. It's ok to run a screen, like what is installed on an in-tank pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went Carb with an in-tank low-pressure pump....
    But.. if I was to buy a Holley EFI Sniper setup, I'd sell the provided inline pump on Craigslist or ebay, and buy a good quality in-tank pump with the money.
    Quieter, cleaner install, inexpensive replacements readily available at any parts store if it fails.
    Just my 02c.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no doubt that the intank pump is the ideal way to go (fuel cools the pump and you are not dealing with any potential of vapour lock) but an external pump can work. I went old school (carburetor) but have run an external electric pump for a very long time without issue (gerotor type pump). Pre & post filters absolutely recommended but filtration level important; pre-filter should be 100 micron ("coarse") to prevent debris from affecting pump internals while post filter can be 10 or 20 micron ("fine"). If you run fine filtration before the pump you increase the potential of fuel suction issues while after the pump you have ample pressure to get through a finer filter.
    Be careful using a low pressure, carburetor filter as a pre-filter (as Tex 2131 appears to have done) as there is tremendous variation in filtration level and the more expensive/good ones tend to have finer filtration; great if filtering pressurized fuel but as noted could present excessive restriction on the suction side.
    There are numerous manufacturers that make filters that you can select the filtration level, definitely work consideration.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Don, here is what it looks like with the tank in place.

and from the other side

I think its low enough. I trust Holley they've been around a while. I don't think they would sell something that didn't work. Also, Mike Forte made the call of this one. He built my engine, I just told him I want EFI and this is what he sent.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    In tank pump is absolutely the way to go and very easy to do.
    I used Gordon's fuel pump "kit" - works perfectly.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread