FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Too good to be true? 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Too good to be true? 33 Hot Rod

As i mentioned in my welcome post, I have begun a search for a 33 Hot rod to settle down with. well, yesterday, during an online search I ran across this website with an ad for a 33 Ford Hot rod for sale, $21,000! http://hotclassicdeals.com/details.php?id=3675 . I began an email dialogue with the person to contact.

"Hello,

The car is still for sale. Price is $21,000.
    I'm sorry for this late reply but currently I am working overseas with National Geographic and I won't return until July 2018 when my contract ends. The car is being sold as described, clear title, no mechanical problems, well-maintained. If you want to find out more details about how we can close up this deal contact me. Also what's your location?

With Best Regards,"
    Me:
    "Please excuse my ignorance in the original email, just wanted to ensure that this is a verified ad.

I live in southern California, 60 miles north of Los Angeles.

I am a retired Air Force( 26 years) mechanic. Now a technical training automotive instructor for the military. The car will would be in good hands if we conclude the deal.

On a side, I miss being overseas at times. Your job must be great and rewarding! "

Him:
    Hello there,

"The car belongs to my father but he is too old to enjoy it. He is disabled in a medical center and I am forced to handle this sale. Because my time is very important and and I'm dedicated to my career a third party company is the best choice for us. They will protect both of us in this transaction. Now the car is located in Mobile, AL crated and ready to go. I arranged for the sale right before I left the country so my presence won't be necessary. They are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a inspection period (7 days), title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding. As for the payment we can start a transaction through the shipping company where I'm already registered. You will have to register too on their web site, then you have to contact me to start the transaction. If you are serious about buying the car, I will ship it anywhere with no extra cost.
    If you want to move forward please contact me back so we can get the ball rolling."

I guess what I am missing is the personalization of the dialogue, almost sounds scripted. Other clues was the location on the website is north Hollywood yet the photos show a different green landscape and home architecture, he did state that it is in Alabama and crated up.

Just looking for some input from the community.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Too good to be true.

I'd be VERY skeptical. 21K is WAY too low for that car!
    "Crated and ready to go" sounds like you can't inspect it. If you can't inspect it or have someone YOU TRUST do it for you I'd walk away.

This smells like "scam" to me...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Classic scam. I would start waisting a lot of his time with dumb questions and silly demands. Other than that, walk away.
    Mike

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be very very careful -- red flags and flairs popping on this one. There are many truisms in life and "too good to be true is one" and it continues to catch folks. Another is "if you want it badly -- you'll get it badly" so don't be quick to part with your money without due diligence or that savings you thought you were getting can turn into a significant loss in a New York minute. Myself, I'd pass as it's safer and I've really lost nothing but the time it took to strike up an email conversation. You're no further behind in your search than when you spotted this "too good to be true" hot rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a scam to me. It would be one thing if you could go check out the car in person and take possession. However, with it being on the other side of the country with an absent buyer, I would walk away. Too good to be true with too much risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Run! Forrest! Run!

That is a scam.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    quick reverse image search, so 100% scam
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Replic...d/122965948918

the rest of the other places it shows up here:
    https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...iw=865&bih=980
    My build site : www.ScootinThunder33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed them too. hehehehhehehehe. I'll let you know what comes back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dGuy View Post
    quick reverse image search, so 100% scam
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Replic...d/122965948918

the rest of the other places it shows up here:
    https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...iw=865&bih=980
    Gotta love the power of the internet to expose scammers so easily

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! yeah, when the other person of the conversation doesn't answer your question makes it a definite scam. But don't worry, this hasn't me detoured me, Im still looking!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Camaro where the guy was in Germany and the registration fee was outrageous so he wanted to sell the car and he had the car and wanted me to pay in advance and pay shipping also, some people have huge walnuts, another time a woman with a whole sob story was selling a firebird in Colorado, well it was a friends car that she photo shopped on a different back ground and wanted to be paid in ebay gift cards. I reported her to ebay. When it sounds to good to be true it always is.! Buyer beware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I got the same reply, verbatim. The name he's using does actually belong to a contributor for NatGeo, and he is even using their graphics in the email. Seems like NatGeo would be....upset? I've got some free time every day. Any suggestions?