BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Will the production '35's have roll bars?

Post Thanks / Like

Will the production '35's have roll bars?

I notice in the photos attached to the FFR facility post about being back open after the storms, photos of the pickup with roll bars. I thought I had seen previous posts by FFR indicating that there would not be roll bars. Has something changed in the engineering to require the roll bars for increased chassis strengthen?
    I am not sure my garage has ceiling height, and I have tall enough neighbors, to get the cab body on/off for the required test fittings.
    I certainly understand the advantage of roll bars, but question need of complications on strictly street car.
    Any comments.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    wondering the same , are they required for additional strength ? I would rather do without them

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly doubt they will be a delete option.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cage is standard in the pickup, because of the more vertical seating position and the higher seat height and because we had a fixed roof we felt it was no real compromise to interior space or visibility and provided the best roll-over protection for that body style. It isn't something we would delete but I would also try sitting in the truck before you start cutting into it. As far as lifting the body on and off, the truck on jack-stands here in the shop is sitting 54 inches tall to the top of the cage, two of us have been putting bodies on and off and not having to reach above our heads, but for a painted body I still think 4 people is easiest.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, thanks for the additional clarification and reassuring words.

I would venture the roll cage also makes the frame much stiffer.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to hoist the cab of my pickup up to the ceiling in my garage to save space during assembly, and hopefully do all assembly in one garage stall. Tony was gracious enough to provide me with the dimension of the cab: 51" high and 51'' wide. These dimensions should be perfect for the Racor hoist I plan to use; it is 48" square and 250 lb capacity.
    Just thought I would share the idea and information.
    Anxiously awaiting May 26.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    I plan to hoist the cab of my pickup up to the ceiling in my garage to save space during assembly, Tony was gracious enough to provide me with the dimension of the cab: 51" high and 51'' wide. These dimensions should be perfect for the Racor hoist I plan to use; it is 48" square and 250 lb capacity.
    Just thought I would share the idea and information. Anxiously awaiting May 26. Ralph
    Ralph
    It's fairly easy to adapt the crank that comes with those lifts so you can use a battery drill. My dewalt 18v runs the 33 body up and down
    just fine on low speed and it makes it a 1 man job to drop the body on for mock-ups. Once you have a painted/powdercoated chassis to
    protect you'll need to be a bit more cautious. I bought a 4 pack of those thin Mylar cutting boards at Bed Bath for less than $10 IIRC.
    They are thin, flexible and pretty slick so they work great between the body and the chassis anywhere that the raw fiberglass might
    scratch the finish off of the chassis. Find those pinch points and duct tape the Mylar in place so it hangs right where you need it.
    HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Dale, thanks for the ideas, and I am glad to hear of your good experience with the hoist. I plan to attach 2 padded 2x4's through the cab doors and attach them to the 4 cables of the lift. I think I can get the cab up high enough and still have room to walk around underneath.
    I had the same idea as you to use the hoist to lower the body for fitting and removal, and accomplish with just one person.
    Ralph