Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: '33 with 8.8 IRS, doesn't look right to me, how about some of you guys with the same?

Post Thanks / Like

'33 with 8.8 IRS, doesn't look right to me, how about some of you guys with the same?

I had problems mounting the front of the diff, the mounting frame holes ctr to ctr didn't match the diff ctr to ctr holes. They were about 1/4" off.
    I shaved down the poly bushings to get the front bolted in, didn't have much choice.
    Now that I have a better shot of everything does this look right to you?
    I did speak to Tony about it, he said its suppose to be slightly offset from center, but this much. Tony hasn't seen the pics yet.
    Thanks in advance.
    DSCN1536.JPG

DSCN1537.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim, I was in the same situation, we were misaligned however we got it in. I think in a previous post you already went through this https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...079#post316079. We have our drive shaft in and it all fit up, the only issue was that it was an inch too long however Tony at FFR had a new one sent and they provided the paperwork to send the long one back.
    20171222_200451.jpg 20171223_165805.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    All differential yokes are offset from center no matter what type or brand. Think about this, you have a ring gear & pinion gear, the pinion can't engage the ring gear directly in the center, it has to be off to the side one way or the other, hence the yoke which is on the shaft of the pinion gear is offset to the side.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes most yokes are off center of the differential, but some axles are longer on one side to compensate and get it centered. Obviously FFR hasn't gone to the trouble of doing this so why are they still building a centered tunnel? I would take this opportunity to narrow the tunnel so there is more room on the drivers side.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Narrowing the tunnel is a good idea and offsetting the engine to the passenger side would complement that and make more driver's side foot room plus help move the CG toward the longitudinal centerline with only one occupant in the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me that would e a lot of high end customization to gain possibly an inch, in my eyes i got that simply by modifying the fiberglass tunnel cover, nearly 1.5" for the driver and passenger. Will make the hand brake easier to access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone.
    With the yoke pointing up and over to the pass side it just looked way too far, but this is the first F5 car I've done.
    The axles are different lengths, you can't install them wrong or the wheel carriers/hubs (that's what we call them in BMW speak) won't fit.
    The IRS diff has 4 fixed mounting points so that isn't adjustable.
    Just made an $8 lift to get the body off the chassis so I can start doing the chassis stuff now.
    AJT, won't know if my driveshaft is correct until I get the engine in, hopefully in a few weeks.

DSCN1544.JPG
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-17-2018 at 10:28 PM.