Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: upper control arm replacement

Post Thanks / Like

upper control arm replacement

Im in need of a torque spec for this nut ? Can anyone help?

2018-03-17_10-18-35.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    No torque spec given. From the base kit build manual:

"Adjust the locknuts on the ends of the pivot shaft so that there is minimal endplay but so the pivots can still rotate easily on the shaft."
    "If the pivots will not take grease, the endplay may be too tight."

I found that I initially installed them too tight and they would not take grease. I loosed them up just enough so that they would take some grease and then snugged them down a half turn and checked for binding.
    Mk IV base kit #9273 Delivered 1/29/2018
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600
    427w by Fordstrokers w/Holly sniper efi/hyperspark distro and ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the tip Dagwoods. However, I got the old one off and the new FFR does not fit. It completely a different design... wider, taller, and the adjustment sleeves are in all the way. Also, the ball joint is max out to one side.
    Anybody had this issue?
    2018-03-17_21-34-44.jpg 2018-03-17_21-33-03.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The upper ball joint should be pointed out not in. The UCA's come from the supplier assembled upside down for our use. Take them apart and flip 'em over. That means taking your ball joints out and putting them in again. Unfortunately, this is a very common mistake. You're not alone. Ball joints should be this direction, and the inner pivots with the zerks on top:

Last edited by edwardb; 03-17-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    ARGH! I really tightened the those ball joints tight... used GEREMAN torque spec's "good-din-tit"
    If I flip it will them over, will it give me a better adjustment? what I mean is the adjustment sleeves are screwed all the way in

Post Thanks / Like
    What spindles are you using? The UCA mounts differently with different spindles.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    What spindles are you using? The UCA mounts differently with different spindles.
    Correct. The inner mount location is different if using Mustang spindles vs. the Factory Five 2-piece spindles. But the outer ball joint plate is the same in either case.

Quote Originally Posted by dpariso View Post
    ARGH! I really tightened the those ball joints tight... used GEREMAN torque spec's "good-din-tit"
    If I flip it will them over, will it give me a better adjustment? what I mean is the adjustment sleeves are screwed all the way in
    As stated in the Factory Five instructions "Screw the upper ball joints into the control arms so that the balljoint angles out on the bottom." Also shows that way in several pictures. Unfortunately, doesn't mention that you have to change how they're assembled first. For a retrofit like this, you probably don't even have instructions so that makes it even more likely to assemble upside down.

Sorry. I know it's a pain. But they need to be flipped over. You shouldn't consider leaving it as is (if that's what you're suggesting). Not designed to work that way. Whatever adjustment issues you may or may not have are a separate issue. Get them installed properly first.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-18-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you have another thread going on this same subject. I posted this reply in the other:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I'm assuming that you are changing the uppers because the pivots seized on the cross shaft?

What you have are the latest version of upper control arms which are supplied by a different vendor than your originals hence a slightly different design.As Frank said you have them assembled incorrectly (yeah, I know, that's how they were delivered but it is not the correct configuration for our application). The ball joint plate must angle outward, not in as you have it. You'll need to remove the joint, reorient the ball joint plate and reassemble while keeping the grease fittings pointing up on the cross shaft links. It's a whole mix & match sort of puzzle!

As you are aware, I know your car. It uses Mustang spindles so the top mount position is correct. The adjustment sleeve lengths will change when you have the car aligned after changing the arms. You have manual steering so should not encounter the sleeve length problems that are common when trying to attain power steering alignment specs. BTW, when you align it or have it aligned you should be going for .5 degree negative camber, 3 degrees positive caster and 3/32" total toe in (very important that it is toe in, not out)

Good luck!

Jeff
    Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I flipped them over to the correct orientation and it fit GREAT. I'm using Factory Five Spindles. However, does not look good for the adjustment sleeves. They are screwed all the way in. I'll take it to get aligned this weekend to see if it can be set to spec's

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you (or another owner after Scott) changed them from what the car was originally built with they are not FFR spindles. If the car indeed does now have FFR spindles you can not use the top mount holes for the control arms and will need to fabricate side mounts.

EDIT: I just looked at the photo in your post #3 and see the spindle adapter which confirms that they are Mustang spindles.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all, the conversation about this topic is moved to the 'Ask A FF Tech'.