FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Arms

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Arms

This may be premature, but I just installed the steering arms. I have the steering column installed and basically turned the steering (wheel) to be in the middle for an approx. maximum 1 1/2 turns to the left and right (to establish the steering rack's center?). So the steering rack is approx. in the middle. I then eyeballed the front spindles, again eyeballed, believed pretty straight, and finally installed the steering arms. The problem for me is that one arm is further threaded in the steering rack than the other arm (see photos). Again, assuming all my "by eye" setups are pretty close to center, I would think both arms would be in the steering rack's threaded portion close to even. Is this a problem, normal? I'm concerned since the passenger side's threading rod is probably only 3/4" into the steering arm, and I worried about the steering loads. Maybe this is normal and just don't worry, or are longer (better) arms are available to work around this problem. Again, I'm far from a real alignment, but my eyes again have always been pretty good in spotting mis-alignments. Any and all advise is truly appreciated.
    Despite several issues popping up, having a ball building the car up! And the forum is great tool-thanks!

Steering 1.jpgSteering 2.jpg

Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read this, the part about the front suspension. The starting dimensions are different that what's in the manual.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...self-alignment

Mine are pretty close to even after using the info in the link.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-18-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to back up the shots so we can see all the parts in place. You may have some of the bushing barrels flipped which
    will move their center to center pivot dimensions. There are a few things like that we can look at in those bigger pics.
    HTH
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are several more images - I hope they help point out something I did wrong (or right). This is a manual rack, but sort of remember adding longer threaded end rods to the power steering rack I purchased when building my Mk4 - Is it also possibly the same deal, just swap out the ends even though nothing is mentioned to do so. Everyone thank you so far!

Walter
    DL1.jpgDL2.jpgDL3.jpgPR1.jpgPR2.jpgPR3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Walter
    Nothing jumped at me from those pics but they don't show what I thought might be the cause.
    For clarity;
    Where the arms attach to the frame tabs there are bushings, those bushing brackets have an ear on them.
    The bushing brackets have a long end and a short end so the bolt hole is slightly off-center. If they are not all turned
    the proper way per the pics in the manual they center to center distance for those bolts will vary and that might
    be causing the difference in thread engagement. Take a look at that area.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by racephotoman View Post
    This may be premature, but I just installed the steering arms. I have the steering column installed and basically turned the steering (wheel) to be in the middle for an approx. maximum 1 1/2 turns to the left and right (to establish the steering rack's center?). So the steering rack is approx. in the middle. I then eyeballed the front spindles, again eyeballed, believed pretty straight, and finally installed the steering arms. The problem for me is that one arm is further threaded in the steering rack than the other arm (see photos). Again, assuming all my "by eye" setups are pretty close to center, I would think both arms would be in the steering rack's threaded portion close to even. Is this a problem, normal? I'm concerned since the passenger side's threading rod is probably only 3/4" into the steering arm, and I worried about the steering loads. Maybe this is normal and just don't worry, or are longer (better) arms are available to work around this problem. Again, I'm far from a real alignment, but my eyes again have always been pretty good in spotting mis-alignments. Any and all advise is truly appreciated.
    Despite several issues popping up, having a ball building the car up! And the forum is great tool-thanks!

Steering 1.jpgSteering 2.jpg

Walter
    We measured ours and both measure approximately 2-1/4", I will try and remember to take pics tonight and post them for your reference.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't do anything with your tie rods until you have the fully weighted car on the ground at ride height and your caster and camber adjusted first. Only then will will everything be lined up to adjust your tie rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by racephotoman View Post
    Here are several more images - I hope they help point out something I did wrong (or right). This is a manual rack, but sort of remember adding longer threaded end rods to the power steering rack I purchased when building my Mk4 - Is it also possibly the same deal, just swap out the ends even though nothing is mentioned to do so. Everyone thank you so far!

Walter
    DL1.jpgDL2.jpgDL3.jpgPR1.jpgPR2.jpgPR3.jpg
    Arrowhead is right. I did a rough alignment on mine a couple of months ago. Here is what they look like after the alignment. IMG_1093.JPGIMG_1094.JPG Looks familiar doesn't it.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.