Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  59
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Shark92651's MK4 Coyote Build #9327 - Graduated!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Nice job... I've been trying to decide if I want to cut the hole in the hood or not also. I know that the performance increase w/o a turkey pan will be just about nil but wonder about water and dirt getting in even more that it does all ready. I'm thinking the only advantage to having the hole is some cool air in the engine compartment. Then I wonder, if I do not cut the hole, how hard is it going to be to keep it clean up under the hood scoop.
    I guess it's a trade off either way. The air coming in would be nice for cooling, but it's definitely not in the area that would feed to the intake. 2bking came by and showed me his car last year and he didn't cut the hole in his as he wanted the extra stiffness in the hood. Kleiner told me that even with the hole water doesn't really get into the engine bay. I'm not sure if it is because of the air turbulence or what.
    Last edited by shark92651; 02-09-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    Kleiner told be that even with the hole water doesn't really get into the engine bay. I'm not sure if it is because of the air turbulence or what.
    You get some water...and lots of bugs.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion on the hood scoop hole strictly FWIW: Do you need the cooling? Probably not. Do you need it for intake air? Probably not and especially if a Coyote with the CAI up front. Does the underside of the hood stay any dryer? No. Does the underside the hood or scoop stay cleaner? No. I wipe the underside of mine down occasionally. But it's rarely dirty. All of those discussions are kind of moot because the fact is the whole bottom of the chassis/engine is open. And typically there isn't a seal between the hood and the body. Even with cushioned gasket all around. The bottom line for me? Nothing screams "Fake" like a hood scoop with no hole in the hood. Maybe it doesn't matter to you (and it doesn't matter to me either) but you'll already get enough "Is it real?" comments to not fuel the fire with obviously non-authentic choices like that. My thought is if you don't want the hole, leave the scoop off. It's a clean look that isn't bad and many like. But with the scoop, make it a real scoop with a hole in the hood. There are no issues with the hood losing strength with the hole. It's solid with or without. That's my take on it anyway.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I borrowed my friend's laser level and did the best I could to run a line from the center of the oil cooler opening, across the hood, and between my roll bars. It may not be perfect but I think it's pretty good and hopefully will be OK for when the painter lays down stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    My opinion on the hood scoop hole strictly FWIW: Do you need the cooling? Probably not. Do you need it for intake air? Probably not and especially if a Coyote with the CAI up front. Does the underside of the hood stay any dryer? No. Does the underside the hood or scoop stay cleaner? No. I wipe the underside of mine down occasionally. But it's rarely dirty. All of those discussions are kind of moot because the fact is the whole bottom of the chassis/engine is open. And typically there isn't a seal between the hood and the body. Even with cushioned gasket all around. The bottom line for me? Nothing screams "Fake" like a hood scoop with no hole in the hood. Maybe it doesn't matter to you (and it doesn't matter to me either) but you'll already get enough "Is it real?" comments to not fuel the fire with obviously non-authentic choices like that. My thought is if you don't want the hole, leave the scoop off. It's a clean look that isn't bad and many like. But with the scoop, make it a real scoop with a hole in the hood. There are no issues with the hood losing strength with the hole. It's solid with or without. That's my take on it anyway.
    Thanks for the input Paul, gives me something to think about. I needed the bolt holes in place to mark the hole location anyway so I will mull this one over between now and paint. Personally I don't care too much about what other people think about the car because it's going to be fairly non-traditional anyway with my modern paint colors and engine choice. Besides, other Cobra owners can appreciate it and the haters are just jealous anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input Paul, gives me something to think about. I needed the bolt holes in place to mark the hole location anyway so I will mull this one over between now and paint. Personally I don't care too much about what other people think about the car because it's going to be fairly non-traditional anyway with my modern paint colors and engine choice. Besides, other Cobra owners can appreciate it and the haters are just jealous anyway
    Agree. Which is what I tried to say. I did it because that's how I wanted it and there's no downside IMO. Easy to add the cutout if you decide you want it. I recommend drilling the mounting holes first, just like you did.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Hidden garage door opener

I've been leaving my garage door opener in one of the cup holders, but never felt comfortable with that so I came up with a way to turn it into a cheap "HomeLink" system. I took the opener apart and used my meter to determine the contacts for the switch and then soldered some wires to it. I cut a small notch in the case with my Dremel to bring the wires out and then I crimped together some small JST and spade connectors I had on hand to wire it to a small stainless pushbutton switch. I used some Velcro to secure the remote to the front of my mega fuse holder behind the dash and mounted the switch in my under dash support near the steering wheel. Yeah I know I could just buy a hub for my garage door opener and access it with an app on my phone, but that is probably in my pocket and it's real convenient to just reach under and press the button.

8. Likes Snakely, PeteMeindl, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Car is out for paint and bodywork

After an extended shakedown period of over 800 miles driving in gelcoat, I have finally dropped my car off at a shop not far from me. They do a fair amount of work on Cobra replicas and custom cars in general and I got a recommendation from a member of the local Cobra Club. When I went to check them out they had a Cobra in the shop that they had repainted. I was able to drive my car there and they are going to disassemble, do all the body work, and reassemble and quoted me 2-3 months, but plan on it being closer to 3. I'm glad to finally be starting paint, but going to miss some prime spring driving weather. When I get it back it's going to be HOT in Texas.

https://www.facebook.com/grubbsmotorsports/

Last edited by shark92651; 03-12-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a garage ready for a new build....

Love the garage door opener mod in previous post. Going to have to copy that one.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Looks like a garage ready for a new build....

Love the garage door opener mod in previous post. Going to have to copy that one.
    -Steve
    You know I do feel like I could do a better job on the next one, but I will probably have to wait at least a few years while my wife warms up to the idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting her into paint!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the whole Coronavirus lock down got real about the time I got my car to the body shop, which slowed things down, but I finally have some progress pics to share. The shop has been working on gapping the panels and knocking down the parting lines. They had an idea to fix the off-center license plate bump by building it up a bite on the right-hand side and moving the license plate holder over to new holes. Hopefully it will turn out nice and they can just lay the stripes across the license plate and trunk latch without any paint trickery to correct the issue. I hope it turns out well but hard to tell at this point until it is in primer.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best way to seal up gaps in the panels, like the area around the round tube in this photo?

Shark, where did you get your Clecos? what sizes? and how many did you buy? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBO 302 View Post
    Shark, where did you get your Clecos? what sizes? and how many did you buy? Thanks
    I don't remember exactly where but if you Google search you can find a lot of places selling them. I got them in a kit with a blue bag and the Cleco tool and I think it was on eBay. I bought 50 1/8" and 25 in 3/16". I only ended up using a few of the 3/16" though

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there are any clecos left to buy.
    Shark bought ALL of them looking at the photo.

Cheers,
    Nigel in South Oz
    Last edited by Nigel Allen; 05-20-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    I don't think there are any clecos left to buy.
    Shark bought ALL them looking at the photo.

Cheers,
    Nigel in South Oz
    There is something that is just so satisfying about plopping a Cleco in each hole, although totally unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got another progress update from the body shop. They are planning to spray first primer today and then I plan to drive over and take a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moving a long nicely!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I went over to the shop to look at my car for the first time since dropping it off. They laid down contour polyester primer and it's nice to see it all one color again. I think the gaps and fitment are looking great and I'm excited to see the final product. Because the hinges allow the hood to shift a bit side to side, they came up with a nice bracket in the center of the hood with a grommet that they mounted underneath between the two hood latch catches. They will bond a post on the underside of the hood for it to drop down into to perfectly center the hood. I think it's a great idea but I forgot to take a pic of it. I'll post a photo next time I get to take a look at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome man!!! Gonna be GORGEOUS!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea! Thanks, Shark92651! Thanks, Jeff Kleiner! I've already added it to my Must Do list for when I build my MK4.

Oops! Very new to Replying. I see I should have copied the quote for reference. I'm referring to the "dye" method you followed for your door check straps. Thanks!
    Last edited by 460.465USMC; 06-28-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit: arriving ~ 4/22/24! Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Final prime

Getting closer to seeing some color now. Car is in final prime and they are going to do some color spray outs on Monday for me to look at.

Post Thanks / Like
    So apparently they're doing it all with the body and panels on/

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    So apparently they're doing it all with the body and panels on/

Jeff
    Yes they are, at least up to this point. Car will be painted body-on. Panels are all off now for paint.
    Last edited by shark92651; 08-13-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally some color

Finally we have some color! Next update should have the stripes laid down.

27. Likes JB in NOVA, Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, Shark92651! I'm excited for you.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit: arriving ~ 4/22/24! Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks rich. Great color choice.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice deep red! Do you mind sharing what it is?
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Nice deep red! Do you mind sharing what it is?
    Its Ford Ruby Red. The stripes will be Ford Magnetic, same color scheme as my truck.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Shark,

Like Kyle, I love the color too.
    Making it match your truck, well you can't go wrong there.
    Congratulations on getting to the end of the road with your MK-4.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Its Ford Ruby Red. The stripes will be Ford Magnetic, same color scheme as my truck.
    Great choice. I'm doing Ruby Red as well but going with Diamond Black with some red flake added in for the stipes.

That tri-color looks great!!

I love how it really pops in the sun.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another pic when they rolled it outside this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. So they're going to put the stripes on top of the clear?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Looks nice. So they're going to put the stripes on top of the clear?

Jeff
    I don't know the process exactly, but he said they were gonna let it sit this weekend, and next week will "sand it flat, lay out the stripes, and then spray them". He also mentioned four more coats of clear on top of it all after stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing the process step by step. You're going to have a beautiful car.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more pics. Yesterday they sanded it down and laid down stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Can't wait to see it completed. Love the color combo.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    And today they sprayed clear. I think it's looking pretty nice!

And some pics outside

41. Likes Straversi, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fabulous! Ford Ruby Red is one of the colors that I really wanted when looking paint colors. It turned out great. Your shop appears to be doing a great job.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

43. Thanks shark92651 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice?? It looks awesome!!

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

45. Thanks shark92651 thanked for this post
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast