Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help please... No Crank no start

Post Thanks / Like

Question Help please... No Crank no start

well after a quick start last week, my car has a no crank no start condition. I started the car ran for 3-5 seconds released clutch and it stalled. Went to restart and nothing. Charged battery... same
    took starter to get tested it passed.

I hear fuel pump kick on but nosound from starter.

kind of at a loss. and dont know what to check now. The plug from the ignition looks a little beat up but it started once, so doubt it is that.

help please need to get this project rolling!

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Clutch switch needs to close when you depress the clutch otherwise no crank. You should be able to see it at the top of the clutch lever and be able to squeeze it by hand while you twist the key make sure it’s in neutral when you hit the key or it’ll run your feet over!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Here's the stock wiring diagram.
    starterWiring.png

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.google.com/search?q=suba...DqZ7_wcaatRYM:
    Here is the wiring drawing need to check out the circuits and plugs on the switches

Post Thanks / Like
    I did recently change the clutch switch, as the old one was stuck depressed and that was not safe. But guess I could have broken this one on one start? Is there a fuse associated with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of easy things to check. Get yourself a test light and check for power at the starter battery wire. If you have power there have someone press in the clutch and try starting it. Check for power at the small wire on the starter. If you have power at both you have a starter problem. If you have power at the battery wire but not the other you have a clutch switch or relay problem. I suppose possibly an ignition switch problem too.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Couple of easy things to check. Get yourself a test light and check for power at the starter battery wire. If you have power there have someone press in the clutch and try starting it. Check for power at the small wire on the starter. If you have power at both you have a starter problem. If you have power at the battery wire but not the other you have a clutch switch or relay problem. I suppose possibly an ignition switch problem too.
    Mike
    Thank you ill get those checked tomorrow and report back!

You guys are the greatest. Still hoping its something small.

Post Thanks / Like
    actually just talked my 10yr old daughter to help me using a multimeter. power at battery terminal no power at small ign plug...
    switched to old clutch plug that was stuck depressed still no voltage at small plug...

Relay? how do i test that? any one no where that would be in an iwire harness?

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

This is a diagram of the starting system. The clutch switch is just ground wires. You can tie them together for testing purposes.

Here is a picture of my relays. I can't remember if these came out of the 2002 donor or if it was something I added. If its donor , you can see the red relay is the starter circuit. with the key in the crank position there should be power at both white/red wires. If not there is a problem in the ignition switch. If there is power, jump pins number 34 and 38 It should start on its own. If it starts you have a bad relay or your ground circuit is interrupted somewhere between the relay and the clutch switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mike. Looks like another foot of snow tonight to welcome in spring. I should have some time to find the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post

This is a diagram of the starting system. The clutch switch is just ground wires. You can tie them together for testing purposes.

Here is a picture of my relays. I can't remember if these came out of the 2002 donor or if it was something I added. If its donor , you can see the red relay is the starter circuit. with the key in the crank position there should be power at both white/red wires. If not there is a problem in the ignition switch. If there is power, jump pins number 34 and 38 It should start on its own. If it starts you have a bad relay or your ground circuit is interrupted somewhere between the relay and the clutch switch.

thought it might be the immobilizer being to far from the key so played with that for a little bit with no success. Kept trying to trace wires and found the relay it was very loose. Plugged it back in and it cranked right over... I happen to be very low on gas so it didnt start! I'll try and get some gas very early before the heavy snow comes and knock off some things on my list.

Thank you all for the help. Learn new things everyday working on this car. Now if it would just warm up a little it would be great.

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    5 gallons premium and still no start
    recharged battery = no start

i hear the fuel pump not sure what else it could be i double check all other connections but recommendations appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    got it to start then was dying after 3 seconds... eventually after some searching realized i installed my intake backwards so the maf was backwards swapped it around and boom started right up ran it for 5 minutes.

thanks again for all the help
    i will be back with more questions soon