FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Axle - Center Section Lubricate Leak

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Axle - Center Section Lubricate Leak

Hey, I'm installing the rear axle today (IRS with Wilwood brakes) and when I attempted to take the rear center section out of the box I found it leaked lubricate all over the bag it was in. If my research is correct, I believe these come direct from Ford Performance and prefilled.

Couple of questions ...
    1. How do you check how much lubricate should be inside?
    2. How much should be inside?
    3. When should you add more lubricate ... before the install or after the install? And if after, when exactly?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I cleaned all the leaked lubricate off the Diff to see where the leak is coming from. Hopefully it's one of the temporary plugs.

Question: I was thinking of removing all the lubricate, install and connect rear axles. Then fill it back up. Which specific lubricate should I use and how much should I use if I completely empty the Diff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good chance it was leaking around the temporary plastic plugs they put in the CV axle openings. The fluid specs (straight from Ford and I think also in the FF instructions): 3.2 pt (1.5L) lube plus 4.0 fl oz (118 ml) friction modifier. Requirement/Spec: Motorcraft SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant XY-75W85-QL, PN WSS-M2C942-A, plus (for new fill): Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier XL-3, PN EST-M2C118-A.

If you use the specific Ford recommended fluids they're not cheap. No reason to drain and replace IMO. Once you have it mounted in the chassis and the CV axles in, check the level using the upper fill hole. The fluid should be right below that opening. Add more lube if you need it. Personally I would use only the Ford lube if you just top it off. I wouldn't mix products. Unless a whole bunch came out, you shouldn't need additional friction modifier.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Normal. Mine was the same way and the leaks were from the temporary plugs. One note, make sure to find the little vent adapter. Mine was just tossed in the bag and was almost thrown out.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.