Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A crisis of Color Choice

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the car that made my mind up for me.
    IMG_20180406_185326.jpg
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with your paint manufacturer about the groundcoat color. That looks kind of light for black...but maybe that's what it needs.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    and don't fret about having 2 silver cars. I have two (Mk4=MBZ Iridium Silver and a GT Silver Porsche, and it totally works, esp if you only drive one at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    This is the car that made my mind up for me.
    IMG_20180406_185326.jpg
    I like that a lot! The matching accents under the hood sets it off nicely.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple more questions...

What would you experts suggest I use for a sealer color below the BMW 427 gray? Medium gray? Dark gray? Black? I'm leaning to medium or dark gray. My goal is to mimic that car in my above post.

And... What color / shade of silver would be the best for the pin stripes? The red stripes on that pic of the Cobra above, I intend to copy but with silver rather than red. I want a nice balanced light contrast to the black stripes, and gray base.

If it matters, I'm also planning to spray PPG shop line paint. (Is shop line plus worth it, assuming my supplier even carries it, or is regular shop-line just fine?)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still a long way from paint, but I've been leaning toward dark and shiny grey with black side pipes and roll bars. This Ford GT color is liquid grey. 1.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple more questions...

What would you experts suggest I use for a sealer color below the BMW 427 gray? Medium gray? Dark gray? Black? I'm leaning to medium or dark gray. My goal is to mimic that car in my above post.

And... What color / shade of silver would be the best for the pin stripes? The red stripes on that pic of the Cobra above, I intend to copy but with silver rather than red. I want a nice balanced light contrast to the black stripes, and gray base.

If it matters, I'm also planning to spray PPG shop line paint. (Is shop line plus worth it, assuming my supplier even carries it, or is regular shop-line just fine?)
    If the color you choose requires a specific shade ground coat it will be specified in the mixing formula. PPG sealers offer recommended shades of gray from G1 white to G7 dark gray, which will help achieve the desired color and coverage (although it seems counter intuitive you sometimes get better coverage over dark than you do over light!).

Silvers are all over the map; some have red or blue or green or brown among other toners in them which you often don't pick up on until you see them side by side. What's a good contrast next to one color may not be good beside another so you really need to look at different ones up against your main color to assure that they don't clash.

As I said in a reply to your other thread Shop Line is the same as Omni and Shop Line Plus is the same as Omni Plus; just a different label. In general Plus will use different toners or metals than the lower levels which often results in a more vibrant or richer end result even though they are "the same color".

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. I'll try and see if the PPG guy has the suggested base color for that gray in his system. Failing that... what would your "gutt" tell you is a good sealer color to go with?

As for the silver.. I guess I was just looking for anybody to say "I'd just go with PPG silver XYZ" with that combo. Because I suspect that's all I'll be doing, but I have far less experience than many of you.

As for the ShopLine(plus) question.. I think I'm just trying to again figure out. .if the supplier doesn't have "plus", is regular just fine for a newb painter like myself? is "plus" worth trying to find and I assume pay a bit more for?
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the ShopLine(plus) question.. I think I'm just trying to again figure out. .if the supplier doesn't have "plus", is regular just fine for a newb painter like myself? is "plus" worth trying to find and I assume pay a bit more for?
    If he's PPG he'll have Omni Plus; only their high level "Platinum" distributors can sell Shop Line so if he's reached that status he'll have it. Short and simple---I believe you'll get better coverage and a more lively color with Plus (if match was a concern that would be another thing in favor of Plus but since you're doing an all over that isn't a factor).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Although unrelated - hobby/car model paints - I use this stuff when I'm in miniature land doing models. AlClad II

Their "Chrome" looks exactly that... when done properly. Gloss black basecoat, then the "chrome" - but no topcoat in this instance. The black is what gives the depth and imparts shine.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Here it is: http://3dautosports.com/ffr/beta/?b=770ad3eb. It's useful for getting a general idea of how colors will look, but not for actually choosing a color IMO.

Note that you have to download a media player (Unity Player 5.3.8f2 for Safari 11.0.3) that is WAY outdated.

John
    Any idea how to get this to work now that Unity Web Player isn't supported on any modern web browser?

Post Thanks / Like
    Light gray sealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.. here Batty.. This is the car I'm copying.
    Same main color, same stripe color, but I'm doing a silver pin-stripe.
    BMW 472/7 color code.
    Post #41 above
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post320626

Post Thanks / Like
    Update to this color thread.
    See here for somewhat of a progression
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...odywork-stages
    But... more importantly.. here is how this color combo came out.
    Exactly what I wanted.

15. Likes BEAR-AvHistory liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!!!!
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here it is: http://3dautosports.com/ffr/beta/?b=770ad3eb. It's useful for getting a general idea of how colors will look, but not for actually choosing a color IMO.

Note that you have to download a media player (Unity Player 5.3.8f2 for Safari 11.0.3) that is WAY outdated.

John
    OMG - any get this to work anymore?
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try downloading the latest version of the media player, available at https://unity-web-player.en.softonic...ther-platforms. But it was last updated in March 2019, so who knows if it will work with your browser.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    You might try downloading the latest version of the media player, available at https://unity-web-player.en.softonic...ther-platforms. But it was last updated in March 2019, so who knows if it will work with your browser.

John
    thanks... tried Chrome, Edge, IE, and Firefox - no dice
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks great !
    Last edited by j.miller; 12-25-2020 at 08:15 PM.

22. Thanks skidd thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12