FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Banana Bracket fit on axle tube

Post Thanks / Like

Banana Bracket fit on axle tube

Hi Guys,

I did a test fit of my banana bracket to my axle this weekend. When fitting it up by hand, the ID of the bracket does not seat up against the axle tube completely. It is too tight. It is probably about .25" short of going on completely. Is this something that normally requires some grinding to make it fit? Or will it go on by inserting the bolts and tightening them down? The smaller clam shell portion slips over the axle easily. I assume these parts shouldn't be too loose. FYI...I do have a VPM brace I am planning to use.

Thanks!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yes! sir! You can check my build, but basically you have to grind the s@#$ out the bracket part. It wouldn't go just by tightening the bolts.
    (I also got a welder to put on an extra bead, just to be sure)

Broku518.

edit: just realized I didn't post about this...must have been easy peasy job
    Last edited by broku518; 03-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to grind off a little bit of the weld on the banana bracket to help its fit. even then, the bracket side didn't seat on the axle tube. But when aligning all four bolts and tightening as evenly as I could, the bracket set flush on the tube. You may need to get rid of the powder coat for the bolts to fit.

I hope you can see the photos. I'm trying the upload by url feature. I think if you click on them, they will enlarge. In the second photo you can see a small gap between the bracket and the tube.

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean up the powder coat and any weld spatter, other than that, you need to use the 4 bolts to force it on. Do not grind it to fit, it's designed to fit tight as sh-t.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was my gap, no chance in hell I could pull this tight. Moser 8.8 rear end.

Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall, that looks like mine. At minimum, you need to grind off the powder coat (just the coating) on the axle and the inside diameter of the bracket. Metal to metal contact is what you want. The bolts will pull it in.

I also ground off the coating on the sides of the bracket so that the welder could do his thing.
    Last edited by cnutting; 03-19-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Naw... making up 3/8" just isn't gonna happen pulling it down with bolts.
    My guess is the bracket is:
    1) Isn't cut from the correct I.D. of tubing to match the O.D. of the axle tube (probably not the case)
    Or
    2) The bracket isn't cut in an 180-deg "section" of the circle - it's more like 200-degs, and once you get it to "snap" over the axle, it'll bed in. (maybe)
    Or
    3) During weld-up the I.D. closed due to heat, and the bracket isn't a 1/2-circle anymore... it's an ellipse. (Yup!)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I put my bracket in the "future for sale" pile cuz I got the Moser with the bracket welded. But I tried bolting the halves together with the hardware (so I wouldn't lose anything) and it wouldnt even go together like that. I suspect some movement during final welding?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was similar. I used the bolts and it clamped itself on. It wasn’t easy

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Moser M88 rear end and it has 3" thick wall tubes. The stock ford 8.8 axle tubes are smaller then 3". you may want to measure the Moser axle tubes to see what size you have. Also Moser should have welded the bracket to the axle. If they did not call them and they should fix it.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies guys. You gave me a good idea on how this thing should fit. Mine has a gap, but not nearly as bad as Broku's. My axle is definitely OEM Ford tubes. My bracket has a bunch of weld spatter inside of it. I'm thinking if I take that out and remove a little paint it may be a lot closer to fitting. And maybe with some persuasion by tightening the bolts it will snug down.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Naw... making up 3/8" just isn't gonna happen pulling it down with bolts.
    My guess is the bracket is:
    1) Isn't cut from the correct I.D. of tubing to match the O.D. of the axle tube (probably not the case)
    Or
    2) The bracket isn't cut in an 180-deg "section" of the circle - it's more like 200-degs, and once you get it to "snap" over the axle, it'll bed in. (maybe)
    Or
    3) During weld-up the I.D. closed due to heat, and the bracket isn't a 1/2-circle anymore... it's an ellipse. (Yup!)
    It will fit. that 3/8 gap isn't the problem. If the ends of the half circle (out where the bolt sleeves are welded on) open up by less than 1/8 inch, then it will slip
    into place. Grind the tube and the inside of the bracket like has been recommended and I bet it will work. Get all the bolts and nuts installed and then tighten them in a sequence maybe one turn at a time. Watch the gap between the ends of each half so, if it gets out of parallel, you know which nut to tighten and extra turn or two.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly is frustrating, but it will clamp up tight with enough applied force, via the bolt tightening. I stripped one bolt the first time, as there was no way it would line up straight.

You'd think this could be engineered better to save so many builders the frustration.

Post Thanks / Like
    kinda obvious but before you try to install, make sure the tubes line up perfectly. I had to drill mine out just a little to get the bolts through..

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post278874
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 4 sacrificial bolts & nuts to pull it all together & then replaced them one at a time with new unstressed ones. I then added all the VPM bars (no welding). Haven't had a problem in 8000 miles of "spirited" driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the way mine looked, and YES it went on. I too damaged one bolt and had to replace it. If its not that tight, then it'll never stay in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. Just in case someone else is looking at this post in the future I decided to post my experience. I have a few more details in my build thread. Based on the advice in this post, here's what I ended up doing...

My first step was to remove the weld spatter, burrs, and some paint from the inside of the clam shell internal diameter. I used a rough half round file....

After cleaning up the ID, I placed the bracket on the axle tube. The fit was better, but it still has about .125" to .187" to be tightened down.

The bolt holes didn't line up very good at all. I ended up lining it up with a couple bolts and running a .500" drill thru all the holes so I could get the bolts thru.

I threaded the nuts on and tightened one at a time. It slowly squeezed the two halves together. These were very tight. I was starting to get worried about breaking the bolts off. (I'm still a little worried they are going to snap). But in the end, the part clamped down like others said it would.

I will also bolt the VPM brace to this to support it further.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Done
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to get the bracket welded on? You may have wanted to grind the paint off the edges and the axle before bolting it on..

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of welding, I'm going to go with the VPM brace...

http://www.vintageperformancemotorcars.com/
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't autocross, but a guy in my office does with his FFR Mk3 with the 3 link. Autocross is ALL he does with his roadster. He didn't weld his 9 years ago, and he's still going. Again, not first hand experience.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
    I don't autocross, but a guy in my office does with his FFR Mk3 with the 3 link. Autocross is ALL he does with his roadster. He didn't weld his 9 years ago, and he's still going. Again, not first hand experience.
    Good feedback. Thanks!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Now as one said above, remove the bolts one at a time and replace them w/ Grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Hi Guys,

I did a test fit of my banana bracket to my axle this weekend. When fitting it up by hand, the ID of the bracket does not seat up against the axle tube completely. It is too tight. It is probably about .25" short of going on completely. Is this something that normally requires some grinding to make it fit? Or will it go on by inserting the bolts and tightening them down? The smaller clam shell portion slips over the axle easily. I assume these parts shouldn't be too loose. FYI...I do have a VPM brace I am planning to use.

Thanks!
    Mark at Breeze Auto has a detailed description on how to install the banana bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed Mark’s tech write up which was pretty complete. It cost me $70 to have it welded. I’ve seen a bracket that twisted at an auto cross during a hard lock up of the brakes. It convinced me to get it welded.