Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ontario registration options?

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario registration options?

Going to go to service Ontario to register my MK4 soon, I know the basic process, just wondering if there are any different options for how it can be registered? Ie year, kit Car, etc. I plan on using Zhers for insurance, just want to make sure I don’t get it registered as the wrong thing to make it insurable.
    Anyone with experience registering in Ontario with feedback would be apreachiated

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Going to go to service Ontario to register my MK4 soon, I know the basic process, just wondering if there are any different options for how it can be registered? Ie year, kit Car, etc. I plan on using Zhers for insurance, just want to make sure I don’t get it registered as the wrong thing to make it insurable.
    Anyone with experience registering in Ontario with feedback would be apreachiated
    I went through this with my Type 65 at the end of last summer. Registered at the MTO in London

- 1st make sure that you have all of your border paperwork including the tax receipt, FFR documentation and all of the purchased parts outside of the kit (the suspension, engine, transmission, brakes etc etc). The MTO needs to know that you imported CART PARTS, not a kit car (because those are technically illegal), so they will want to see all of the parts listed.

- When you talk to the MTO, be careful about the level of completion that you mention. The MTO person that I talked to did not want to issue me an ownership without the car being complete - HOWEVER - they have no measure of what 'complete' means. I asked, does complete mean a driving car? Does complete mean running but getting ready for paint?. I told them that it starts and rolls and that seemed to be enough to comply (no proof mind you). Note that missing any of the parts documentation above may lead to them believing that your car is not 'complete'. How do you have a complete car with no receipt for the transmission (for example).

- note that you are registering a 2017/18 new VIN, not a vintage car or replica VIN. There is a difference.

- That should be it. It took a few trips to figure this out and lots of papers that the MTO copied and sent into their offices, but I now have an ownership with a VIN that mirrors my FFR build chassis number.

EDIT - PS - I should mention that you should expect a complete blank stare from the MTO officer the first time you try this. It's way out of the norm for them and they will have to get out the instruction books....pray they are not cranky.

Zehr had no problem with my ownership and VIN.

Let me know if you have more questions,
    Cheers
    Jonas
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, I’ve read through the process, was just curious if there was the option to register as a new 2018/18 kit Car or a home built or a 1965 vintage. Are you saying it has to be a 2017 kit Car or it should be?
    I asked the people at my local office a few months back when in renewing my license plate sticker and they seemed to have an idea what to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I’ve read through the process, was just curious if there was the option to register as a new 2018/18 kit Car or a home built or a 1965 vintage. Are you saying it has to be a 2017 kit Car or it should be?
    I asked the people at my local office a few months back when in renewing my license plate sticker and they seemed to have an idea what to do.
    It should be a new 2018 Kit VIN registration by the letter of the law - but you never know what you're going to get from the MTO. I have talked to Type-33, 818 and Cobra owners and no two stories seemed to be the same. The folks at the MTO process so few of these and their systems don't really guide them through the process very well.....

The only thing to watch out for - if they happen to give you a 1965 vintage registration it could raise issues with insurance or even safety as essentially that's not what the car is. If you tell your insurance it's a vintage car with vintage VIN they might see issue with an appraised value?? Also, if you safety the car - anyone with the ability to safety is going to see that it's not the authentic car but a kit instead.

It's confusing at best- but that's my experience.

J
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Murd
    Just like SingleMaltWSKY outlined it, I had no problem at my local MTO office with the documents noted behind. It will be registered as a 2018 kit which provides for the various exemptions.
    For plating, you will need a safety check as is the case for all registrations so check with your mechanic what they want to see.
    Wipers, defroster were key for me, he did not need a back-up or 3rd brake light but somewhat at the discretion of the individual mechanic.

Good luck, spring is coming sooner or later