Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: How do you protect your paint?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clear vinyl wrap

2 22.22%
  • Ceramic coating

1 11.11%
  • Both

0 0%
  • None

3 33.33%
  • Other

3 33.33%

Thread: How do you protect your paint?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you protect your paint?

I want to know how people protect there paint job.

1. Clear protective vinyl wrap
    2. Ceramic coating
    3. Both
    4. None
    5. Other
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Xpel Ultimate clear bra put on the front, hood, and spats of my roadster. It's been on for 9 months & 3500 miles and looks great.
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really interested to know what people think of ceramic coatings. Pros/cons? Can you paint correct after you apply this? I seem to be coming to this conclusion (reading online) that the ceramic is great for folks that want a low maintenance protection coating that will last more than a year, in some cases many years. For an FFR car, I assume most people are like me and want to spend the time on the paint and care for the finish.....it's not a chore, it's a pleasure - so why go ceramic??
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    I'm really interested to know what people think of ceramic coatings. Pros/cons? Can you paint correct after you apply this? I seem to be coming to this conclusion (reading online) that the ceramic is great for folks that want a low maintenance protection coating that will last more than a year, in some cases many years. For an FFR car, I assume most people are like me and want to spend the time on the paint and care for the finish.....it's not a chore, it's a pleasure - so why go ceramic??
    I am no expert but now have my 911 covered with clear film and ceramic coating and my Cobra covered with Ceramic coating and small areas of clear film. Did a fair amount of reading on this so am somewhat educated on it.
    The biggest thing to remember is Ceramic coating does ZERO for protection against chips. It is purely for aesthetic reasons and makes the car easier to clean. You can not do paint correction after the ceramic coating is applied without first removing it. The best plan is to find a competent detailer with a good reputation and have him do paint correction first then put the ceramic coating on at the same time. I have Opti coat pro on both my cars. The Cobra had about 4000 miles and 10 months on it when I had the coating applied. The paint looked great to start with. He did a paint correction and coating and the results were spectacular. The shine is amazing. The thing to keep in mind is the coatings are designed for daily driving type use. I think it is safe to say 99% of Cobras are garaged kept and rarely see poor weather. At least much less regularly than a daily driver. The ceramic coating will last a long time.
    I love a clean car but don't particularly love hours of detailing work. Prior to the ceramic coating pretty much every time I would drive the car I would clean it up. Now when I pull back into the garage many times there is nothing to clean really. It is much harder for anything to stick to the car and what I do have to clean up happens very easily. I am getting the same great looking end result for much less work. I love it and will likely have it on all my cars in the future.
    The only con I can think of is the cost. My ceramic coating was $800 in addition to the paint correction. I will easily save $800 in labor time and detailing supplies over the lifespan of the coating. A no brainer for my needs.
    Here is the end result the day I picked it up. Honestly it blew me away seeing it in person the first time. Could hardly believe the shine:

Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-20-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I am no expert but now have my 911 covered with clear film and ceramic coating and my Cobra covered with Ceramic coating and small areas of clear film. Did a fair amount of reading on this so am somewhat educated on it.
    The biggest thing to remember is Ceramic coating does ZERO for protection against chips. It is purely for aesthetic reasons and makes the car easier to clean. You can not do paint correction after the ceramic coating is applied without first removing it. The best plan is to find a competent detailer with a good reputation and have him do paint correction first then put the ceramic coating on at the same time. I have Opti coat pro on both my cars. The Cobra had about 4000 miles and 10 months on it when I had the coating applied. The paint looked great to start with. He did a paint correction and coating and the results were spectacular. The shine is amazing. The thing to keep in mind is the coatings are designed for daily driving type use. I think it is safe to say 99% of Cobras are garaged kept and rarely see poor weather. At least much less regularly than a daily driver. The ceramic coating will last a long time.
    I love a clean car but don't particularly love hours of detailing work. Prior to the ceramic coating pretty much every time I would drive the car I would clean it up. Now when I pull back into the garage many times there is nothing to clean really. It is much harder for anything to stick to the car and what I do have to clean up happens very easily. I am getting the same great looking end result for much less work. I love it and will likely have it on all my cars in the future.
    The only con I can think of is the cost. My ceramic coating was $800 in addition to the paint correction. I will easily save $800 in labor time and detailing supplies over the lifespan of the coating. A no brainer for my needs.
    Here is the end result the day I picked it up. Honestly it blew me away seeing it in person the first time. Could hardly believe the shine:

So would you recommend the ceramic by itself or with the wrap underneath?
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Works like the so called "ceramic" coatings, but at 1/10th the cost.

http://www.nufinish.com/products/car-polish

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest thing to remember is Ceramic coating does ZERO for protection against chips. It is purely for aesthetic reasons and makes the car easier to clean.
    You can not do paint correction after the ceramic coating is applied without first removing it.
    The thing to keep in mind is the coatings are designed for daily driving type use. I think it is safe to say 99% of Cobras are garaged kept and rarely see poor weather.
    I love a clean car but don't particularly love hours of detailing work.
    SO - I think those points right there kind of remove this as an option for me. Clearbra application is a great idea for the potential chip areas (nose etc), but for the rest of the car I'm not looking to diminish the amount of labour required to keep it showroom....that's one of the parts of owning this car that I really like, guess I'm a bit of a detailing nerd that way.

Also, I want the ability to take the finish down and repair any damage like swirls, holograms etc myself without the need to rip and replace such an expensive coating. Compounds, waxes, pads and microfibers are expensive enough and can be used on my other vehicles as required. I have also read that ceramics in some cases also require special after treatments....also more cash.

Thanks for the feedback though, I really appreciate hearing from others to see what their experience has been.
    Cheers
    J
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    So would you recommend the ceramic by itself or with the wrap underneath?
    Depends what you are trying to accomplish.
    Most clear wrap installers use precut pieces from known car models to wrap the cars. That is what I have on the Porsche. Front end install as well as a few other areas like door handle recesses, in front of rear wheels was 2k. To get the Cobra done you have to find someone that will do a custom job. The front of the Cobra is very difficult with all the curves. My installer does a lot of high end cars in the Atlanta area and told me minimum of 3k for him to do a custom job on the Cobra but he would have to see it and it could be more. The Porsche sees extensive highway miles for me so chip protection was a big deal to me and worth the additional 2k.
    The Cobra on the other hand does not see many high speed highway miles and I did not see it being worth 3k+ to protect against chips. MY priority with the Cobra is to keep it looking great so I was satisfied with just the ceramic coating. (with that being said clear wrap install is definitely a you get what you pay for service in my mind. IF you opt for a cheap installer you will probably get a cheap looking outcome. Quality experience is definitely worth a price premium in my mind)
    I am very satisfied with the ceramic coating as a stand alone product on the Cobra. I know it does not protect me from chips and am fine with that. Common misconception is the ceramic coating somehow makes the finish harder and more durable. That is incorrect so just be aware of that going in.
    Think ceramic coating = aesthetic purposes only.
    Think clear wrap = chip protection/ paint protection.
    IF you have that in mind going in and choose the appropriate product to meet your needs you can be satisfied with either.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I want the ability to take the finish down and repair any damage like swirls, holograms etc myself
    J
    Soundss good for you. Not trying to talk you into it or anything as you like to do the work yourself. Just pointing out that the ceramic coating will prevent the swirls and holograms etc so they wouldn't be there for you to need to strip off the ceramic coating to repair in the first place. That is sort of the point. Didn't mention that in my first post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. Now to try and decide whet I want to do.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Those that did a wrap what should I expect to pay with paint correction. I've had very different quotes. Two for 3400 and another for 5500. Thoughts?
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    Those that did a wrap what should I expect to pay with paint correction. I've had very different quotes. Two for 3400 and another for 5500. Thoughts?
    $3400 seems like a reasonable price to me for paint correction and a custom wrap job. As I mentioned before no precut kit for the Cobras. I am assuming you are talking about your Coupe in your profile pic? I paid $400 for a level one paint protection on the Cobra. The paint was in very good condition and needed minimal correction. The wrap guy in Atlanta with a highly respected reputation said $3000ish for a custom job on the Cobra but he would have to see it. Those two would have put me right at $3400.
    For the wrap what exactly are you being quoted for? Just the front clip and in front of the rear wheels or the entire car? Entire car and $5500 is well within reason. What type film are they using? I have the Suntek on my 911.
    Dont know how prices range regionally. I would think Atlanta and Dallas would be similar price points. Biggest thing I would recommend is see some of the work each guy has done that has given you a quote. This is definitely an area where paying extra for the best guy may be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    $3400 seems like a reasonable price to me for paint correction and a custom wrap job. As I mentioned before no precut kit for the Cobras. I am assuming you are talking about your Coupe in your profile pic? I paid $400 for a level one paint protection on the Cobra. The paint was in very good condition and needed minimal correction. The wrap guy in Atlanta with a highly respected reputation said $3000ish for a custom job on the Cobra but he would have to see it. Those two would have put me right at $3400.
    For the wrap what exactly are you being quoted for? Just the front clip and in front of the rear wheels or the entire car? Entire car and $5500 is well within reason. What type film are they using? I have the Suntek on my 911.
    Dont know how prices range regionally. I would think Atlanta and Dallas would be similar price points. Biggest thing I would recommend is see some of the work each guy has done that has given you a quote. This is definitely an area where paying extra for the best guy may be worth it.
    3400 and 5500 for full car. 5500 with paint protection. 895 and 600 for ceramic coating. I'm leaning towards doing the 3400 with the ceramic over the top. Yes it is for the car in my profile.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Given that I did all the bodywork myself and then helped paint it, about all I do to protect it from damage is that I try not to rub it up against anything, avoid following other cars too closely, and clean the bugs and bird poop off ASAP.

If or when the paint becomes worn, I'll just remove a bunch of parts, scuff it, and shoot it with a little fresh color and clear.

But, 10,000 miles on and the paint still looks awesome - never really even waxed, I just use Griot's speedshine and their spray-on-wax products.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    So i went with both the clear wrap and ceramic coating. Here is a walk around.

https://youtu.be/zEk_Ernq2ts
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome!
    I had to watch a couple times until I made myself dizzy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody plastidiped their car? They have clear kits that seem like it may be a DIY option. It is a rubberized material that is temporary and can be pealed away and reapplied. I have done wheels and a few things here and there before with it and they always turned out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was a custom wrap using suntech clear protectant at 3200 to do the exterior and treat the interior. Then they finished with glass coat on top. 2ED4859E-D2FD-4C33-B1BA-586939C449F3.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    My roadster has over 12,000 miles on it. I have home-made clear spats (got the pattern from Nice Guy Eddie). I cover the car when it's in the garage and in the parking lot at work. I wax it a couple times a year, and use a quick-wax spray every 3-4 weeks.

Yes, I have a handful of rock chips on the nose, which I touched up. I built my car to drive it, so I don't lose sleep over a new chip - it's the cost of having fun on the road!

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    So what is meant by "paint correction" and what exactly is ceramic coating... sounds like vodo science to me
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceral View Post
    So what is meant by "paint correction" and what exactly is ceramic coating... sounds like vodo science to me
    Paint correction is the process of taking scratches out of the clear or staged paint. Usually done with a rotary or random orbital polisher and various compounds - it's also usually a step in a high quality paint job when finishing for that super shine. It's not magic, it's simply removal of imperfections in the paint surface.

The ceramic coating is a sealant over paint to assist in keeping particles/dust/water etc from getting to that nicely corrected paint - think of it like synthetic wax on steroids. After a lot of research I've come to the point where I don't want to go with ceramic due to the fact that I have to go with a detailer to remove ceramic in order to fix paint imperfections that I want to correct myself.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpresto View Post
    Mine was a custom wrap using suntech clear protectant at 3200 to do the exterior and treat the interior. Then they finished with glass coat on top. 2ED4859E-D2FD-4C33-B1BA-586939C449F3.jpeg
    One of the best looking 818s I've seen. Beautiful job, really great.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ceramic coating is a sealant over paint to assist in keeping particles/dust/water etc from getting to that nicely corrected paint - think of it like synthetic wax on steroids. After a lot of research I've come to the point where I don't want to go with ceramic due to the fact that I have to go with a detailer to remove ceramic in order to fix paint imperfections that I want to correct myself.
    However, the whole point of having the coating after paint correction is that you will not have imperfections to deal with. I would highly recommend that you visit Scotty's Shine Shop in London and talk to either Scott or Brock. They really know their stuff and can talk about any concerns that you may have. They are the only certified Modesto applicator in Canada (I think) and the shine will blow your mind. Don't worry, you can still obsess over washing and detailing your car -- only it will be much easier to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnCarNut View Post
    However, the whole point of having the coating after paint correction is that you will not have imperfections to deal with. I would highly recommend that you visit Scotty's Shine Shop in London and talk to either Scott or Brock. They really know their stuff and can talk about any concerns that you may have. They are the only certified Modesto applicator in Canada (I think) and the shine will blow your mind. Don't worry, you can still obsess over washing and detailing your car -- only it will be much easier to do.
    Yup - I have had brief connections with Scott over email (nothing crazy) - but here's the scenario in my head based on the research I have done mostly online: The ceramic coating does not guard against scratches, it does repel water, UV and helps dust/dirt not to stick as well as adding an amazing long lasting shine (all plus'). BUT, if my car gets a clear coat scratch that I am able to fix on my own, I now have to go back to the detailer to pull the ceramic from that area or potentially the whole car in order for me to fix that scratch. Not only is it a bit of a pain to bring it in, but the ceramic itself is quite expensive - the stripping and reapplication are not free. Where I really see ceramics making sense are things like my wheels (to keep brake dust off etc), but anything that I can correct myself I want that ability to remove the wax/polymer, correct the paint and reapply protection as required at a lower cost and on my schedule.

There is a misconception that ceramic is some sort of miracle hard shell that protects against abrasion and surface scratching of the clear coat (swirls, holograms, deeper scratching) - it does not. It does do a great job at adding incredible shine and helps things from sticking to the paint just like high quality waxes and sealants do, and has the added benefit of lasting a long long time. Since my FFR is not a daily driver I don't need the sealant to be extra long lasting AND I love to baby it, so no problem with having to reapply a sealant wax once in a while (great way to kill a few beers in the garage).

I have also contacted Larry at AMMO NYC regarding this, very similar conclusions.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada