BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any job regardless of pay, what would you do???

Post Thanks / Like

Any job regardless of pay, what would you do???

Not to infer that I would have the skills, but theoretically, I would like to be a stuntman, specializing in driving cars. I actually met someone that does this, and he said that his bread and butter is car commercials – “professional driver on closed course” and most of his work was quite boring, but that’s another story.

I also would not mind being a travel blogger. These people get paid to travel internationally, stay at resorts, and write about them. I would not want to travel by myself, though.
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 03-21-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since I was a kid, I have wanted two jobs. With the technology available today, I don't see any reason I could not do both. US Supreme Court Judge/Astronaut. Don't let my complete lack of qualifications fool you, I have been ready for this ever since I was 8. If that falls though, I guess I would settle for Top Gear host. I think I am qualified for that actually. I can pretend to accidently light a RV on fire with the best of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mattress tester, I would love to get paid for sleeping on the job!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    • Singer-Songwriter/RockStar. I came this close in the mid-eighties. Some of you might get a live glimpse of that ambition soon. >>I still have fun doing it...<<(click the link)
    • Architect. My Wife and I designed the house we live in.

I write software for a living and really enjoy it. I'm glad I'm not stuck in a job I hate!
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 03-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d like to be a spy/reporter and live in North Korea for a couple of months. But sadly, I don’t speak the language and well, I don’t look Korean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Independently wealthy would be an awesome career.
    Last edited by jceckard; 03-22-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Ever since I was a kid, I have wanted two jobs. With the technology available today, I don't see any reason I could not do both. US Supreme Court Judge/Astronaut. Don't let my complete lack of qualifications fool you, I have been ready for this ever since I was 8. If that falls though, I guess I would settle for Top Gear host. I think I am qualified for that actually. I can pretend to accidently light a RV on fire with the best of them.
    That’s great!!!
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Musician or car designer would be the two closest for me.

Either of those two should allow for loving pretty woman and traveling the world!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm already doing what I love. I run a motorcycle tour company in the Dominican Republic, and producing a motorcycle travel adventure documentary:

https://vimeo.com/77642491

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would be a full time mountaineer. Either that, or as I told Mark D (the traveling builder) one day (maybe many times), if I win the lottery I'm going to follow him around like a lost puppy and learn everything I can from him for months on end.

I think he thinks I am kidding...

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would do what I wam doing now. Which is being a data scientist. I love it.

The only other thing I would love to do is be a dj or a fashion label producer.

The thing is it is ahrd to seperate pay from doing a job for me. Since I see a job as a way of serving others. And pay is an important part of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    I'm already doing what I love. I run a motorcycle tour company in the Dominican Republic, and producing a motorcycle travel adventure documentary:
    Wow! That looks like a great way to earn a living!

I always thought being a master woodworker, where I wouldn't need to rush volume, would be satisfying. Furniture, canoes etc.

I also loive the idea about being a travel blogger. I've always wanted to plan and document adventure road trips ... not the destination so much as the routes there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Be a greeter at Wallmart. “Welcome to Wallmart. Get your stuff and get out!”. Actually doing what I do now. Behind camera in motion pictures and TV.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    NFL Kicker
    I mean those guys can make 7 figures for kicking footballs around and don't get beat to hell like the rest of the players. lol
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love my present job ... RETIREMENT! Seriously, though I had my dream job for well over 40 years. 6 years as an Air Force pilot and 36+ years as a pilot for the greatest airline in the world ... Delta Air Lines.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    can I emulate a person and what they do/did? if yes then.
    Carol Shelby
    Roger Penske
    Joe Gibbs

Jay Leno (in the garage phase of his life)

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought I'd like to be an auto shop teacher . . . must be the car guy thing in me. Help today's kids get a real feel for the automotive world and all the new stuff being designed into cars - but still maintain the Hot Rod / Custom aspect of our world.
    Having been an auto mechanic for a good portion of my early years, I loved the ability to fix just about anything that came along, but also loved the hop-up aspect of cars - making them more powerful or handle better.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    I always thought I'd like to be an auto shop teacher . . . must be the car guy thing in me. Help today's kids get a real feel for the automotive world and all the new stuff being designed into cars - but still maintain the Hot Rod / Custom aspect of our world.
    Having been an auto mechanic for a good portion of my early years, I loved the ability to fix just about anything that came along, but also loved the hop-up aspect of cars - making them more powerful or handle better.

Doc
    Doc, I'm giving this teaching thing a shot this summer. I'm not an automobile guru (as most of you know) but I have learned a lot, and do have some past experience. Find a small school that offers summer camps (day camps) and propose a short class. Here's an attachment of what I turned in for this upcoming summer. This will be my first experience, and no pay involved. It hasn't been approved yet, but there's definite interest. I'm trying to offer something valuable for the high school kids to learn.

As for my dream job, Entrepreneur. I'm always trying small businesses, but am scared to take them to the next step because of the financial risk and lack of hiring/employee knowledge. If I didn't have that worry, I'd have many businesses going.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DadofThree; 03-22-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave . . . I have a vocational school near me that might just be interested in an old fart with an automotive background.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fly fishing guide....targeting bonefish in the Bamahas.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    NFL Kicker
    I mean those guys can make 7 figures for kicking footballs around and don't get beat to hell like the rest of the players. lol
    LOL...

I was a kicker in the WFL for a couple of years. The part about getting hurt didn't work for me. When I went to the NFL I got a neck injury in my first camp and that was it for a career...

The Glory Days:

BTW: I had a multi-year million dollar contract in the WFL: a dollar a year for a million years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Firefighter. I’ve been one for 20 years. I absolutely love it! I get to help people when they really need help. I get paid to go scuba diving, hang from buildings on ropes, and play with fire. Best job in the world.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BTHWarrior View Post
    Mattress tester, I would love to get paid for sleeping on the job!!!!
    I was once told (by a cop) that there are only 2 jobs in the world that pays you for lying on your back: 1 a firefighter and 2 a prostitute. I don't think I would do number 2 for free. Like sbhunter said, firefighter: best job in the world
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Open a FFR annex here in Texas and do what they do in Wareham but here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be a coconut farmer. No shirt, no shoes, no problem....driving my cobra to check out the farm everyday.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Fly fishing guide....targeting bonefish in the Bamahas.
    For 30 years my wife said "You know a 'fishing guide' is your ideal job".

I was afraid to post this until KDubU did.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my friend's brother is a fishing and rafting guide during the summer and fall and does avalanche mitigation and avalanche rescue patrol in the winter and spring. Pretty good life in my opinion. He does not make lot doing either but he is always outside doing what he loves so... he is more then happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat captain for the Boy Scouts out of Sea Base in the FL Keys. Did a week with my oldest son and was out on their 26 ft Duskys a couple times fishing and snorkling. In the sun and working with 15 to 18 year old kids trying to get their Eagle scout rank. Hanging and relaxing!
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I think about it I have it pretty good with my two gigs---designing & building houses/apartments/condos and building these cars. If I didn't need to eat and stuff like that I'd do either just for spits and giggles (Heck, my wife tells me I don't charge enough as it is so maybe I kinda' do that already ).

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I really like what I do and have been in this line of work since 1982; however, I've always wanted to work at an Auto Parts store helping shade tree mechanics buy parts.
    Hmmm, maybe that will be my part-time post-retirement gig; however, I still have about 10-12 years to do what I do before I hit that next milestone in my life.
    Never thought about building Cobra's for folks, but that may that might be an option too once my time isn't so scarce as it is today.
    Just know that they'd all basic SBF-Dart 347 or 363 builds because no way can I hang and install a Coyote.
    Interesting question and it was fun to play the "What If Game" today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know.... seems to me that no matter what my dream job would be, there's someone out there doing it right now who sees it as just a daily grind. I'm always careful to not get too deep in things I like, for fear of making it seem too much like work.... I guess that's why it took me five years to finish my FFR.

I like what I do now. Back before I started this career, I was still young-ish and looking for what I wanted to be when I grew up. I asked myself what I'd do if I won the powerball and the answer was that I'd go to law school. Well, that's what I did and I've been a corporate attorney for going on twenty years, focusing on ethics and government affairs for a global corporation - and the company allows me to get involved in things that interest me, so I also provide counsel for our aviation department and charitable foundation. It's interesting, challenging, exposes me to all sorts of people, and not at all related to what I like to do when I'm not at work, meaning that my hobbies are truly an escape. The side benefit is that it does an okay job of funding said hobbies.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am not trying to sound goofy but I have mine, restaurateur. I have always wanted to own my own business and now have two bakeries that I own and am opening my third place, a donut/ sandwich restaurant. I love everything about the food industry. I'm lucky to have gotten out of the kitchen young enough that my body isn't too bad. It's a tough gig, but I love it. I wouldn't mind being an actor though. I went to college for that but never broke through. Paid the bills for a while though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been doing what I'm doing in one form or another for almost 60 years. Next stop for me is doing nothing. OTOH, being a cowboy for a month or two would be interesting to me.

Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Entertainer. I had a band from the time I was in high school through college and beyond until our second child was born. Loved just about every minute of it. Except when we had to chase people down to get paid. Weddings, parties, some lounge work - all commercial music. But, the technology business has worked out pretty well for me. Things happen for the best.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had more careers than most folks -- most were chasing money and looking for the "ideal" job to fit me but a few were purely for the adventure and pay was secondary. My first job was an auto mechanic and I've had a wide array of careers between that and what I do now. I always say the best job I ever had was the one I did in the Army and it was the worst paying and most dangerous job I've ever done.

My last gig was a cool one. I was a search & rescue pilot which was fun and always something different -- looking for crashed airplanes, lost people, spotting wildfires during fire season, flying border patrol missions near the Mexican border looking for cartel smugglers, photo documenting natural disasters, assisting other Federal agencies and Sheriff departments from the air. Never knew where I would be going, or what time of day or night so had to be ready for most anything 24/7. Then it started looking like any other job -- more work than fun so I decided to retire.

So now I have the best job (for me anyway) as a retiree. Wake up when I want, go to bed when I want, do what I want, hire out jobs that I don't like to do, travel when I want, do everything I want to do and on my schedule. How can it get any better than that? Wish I could have done this years ago. So for those of you still working -- your end goal should be early retirement. That's when the real fun starts and the best job you can have.

Post Thanks / Like
    As some have already mentioned, I have done what I had dreamed of... Chasing bad guys and driving real fast. I would have paid my city to do it, but they offered cash and medical benefits so I said "won't argue that". Now is just waiting until I can have the "hobby" of my dreams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blues guitarist and blues singer. I love to play guitar and I love the Blues. I bought my first guitar when I was 12, taught myself to play and have been in and out of bands ever since. I'm currently in a trio and we have been together for the last 15 years. However, since my sons have been big enough to throw a ball I play more at church than gigs.

I'm not complaining because with surgery I am doing what I was born to do. I am at my best in the operating room. It is a high stress job with often unplanned long hours. It's not uncommon for me to be operating past the midnight hour when I'm on call only to come back to a full schedule the next day. The road to my position was grueling as well. Four years of medical school (finished 3rd in my class), five years of general surgery residency training ( 80+ hours/week with one week off a year), then vascular surgery fellowship (2 yrs, not as tough). I'm currently 17 yrs into my career which may last another 10-15yrs.

Other than playing guitar, building this car has been my best release...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread