FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote being delivered to my home, how do I get it into my garage and up on blocks?

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote being delivered to my home, how do I get it into my garage and up on blocks?

I have a Coyote being drop-shipped from Ford Performance - could be here as early as this week. Anybody that had one delivered to your home, was there any issue getting it off the truck and into your garage? Did they deliver it on a truck with a lift gate and a pallet jack? My driveway has maybe a 10 degree up slope and my garage has about a 2" tall "lip" to get over. Am I going to have issues? Also, assuming we can get it over the lip and into the garage, I need about 8" of clearance under the pallet in order to get the legs of my shop crane under it so I can lift the engine. I was planning on cutting some 4x4's at 8" long and putting them under each corner of the pallet, assuming I can get it that high. Any advice?

Update: Testing with the pallet jack in our warehouse, it only lifts a maximum of 4" off the concrete. I suppose I could jack it up as far as possible with the pallet jack and then slip a couple 2x4's under each side, then get out the floor jack and jack up one side at a time, slipping additional 2x4's under opposing sides until I get it tall enough to get my 8" 4x4 pieces in there. Or am I overthinking this?
    Last edited by shark92651; 03-21-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Request/pay for/demand "Lift Gate" with box truck "residential" delivery. If your conditions allow, have him back up as far as possible to the garage.
    Depending on the company, the driver is just that - He/She drives the truck. It's up to you to get the freight off of it.
    Other outfits, if you slip the driver a $20...., may help you out.

Without a lift-gate you're kinda screwed... An engine crane full out may not reach up high enough, and you'll have to un-crate and attach lifting points to the block to get it off... and the driver has to keep moving.

I'd have a cheapo material dolly on hand. With a lift-gate you could set it down on this and muscle it around where needed.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree you need to confirm lift gate service. Typically it's an added charge (even when shipping is advertised as "free") but for something like this you really don't have a choice. You wouldn't be able to get it out of the truck with your shop crane. Every time I've had lift gate service, the driver was very helpful and rolled it into my garage. I guess not all do that. I've been lucky. Another option, which I've done several times (my transmission, my 2-post lift, my Quincy compressor) is pick it up at the freight terminal using my trailer. They will load it with a lift truck. The lower height of the trailer means it can be picked out with a shop crane once you get home.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-21-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience: have some friends handy. The pallet with the coyote showed up on a lift gate truck (I asked for that), but it was all the way in the front of the box. The driver had a pallet jack, but it was too wide for the Ford pallet. We had to more or less slide (i.e. drag) it back to the lift gate. Once we had the lift gate close to the floor, we were able to drag it on to a furniture dolly. The larger the dolly, the less "tippy" the pallet will be. The shop crane was useless in my particular case.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how mine arrived. I wasn't even home. I pulled down my steep driveway and .....surprise.

I rocked the crate to one side and slipped a furniture dolly under the pallet, then rocked and slid a second dolly under the other side. Then it rolled in the garage. I took the top and sides off the crate and left it mounted to its wooden cradle until I was ready to put it on an engine stand to mount the pan and accessories (many months later).

They actually delivered two complete engines. There was a frantic message from the driver on my machine saying he would be back the next morning to pick up the "extra". A few bad thoughts crossed my mind but I didn't want to start the project off with bad karma.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I was lucky. The trucking co told me I would have to get the pallet from the street to my garage so I rented a pallet jack. When he arrived to my luck he was a car guy building a truck to race in Baja and brought it 60 feet and put it in my garage.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid the extra $ for the lift gate service. The driver used his pallet jack and put in in my garage.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. I did specify that I wanted a lift gate in the order comments but since this was then passed over as a drop-shipment, not too confident those order notes are going to be heeded. I'll make some calls tomorrow to ensure they bring it on a lift gate and I'll bring my shop's pallet jack, furniture dollys, and a couple of helpers with me at delivery time.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get stuck & don't have a pickup try to borrow one. Mine showed up on a non lift-gate truck, was supposed to be a gated truck. I backed my pickup up to the delivery truck using some wooden ramps to raise it & slid the pallet into the bed.

Unboxed it in the pickup & used my engine hoist to get it off the truck & onto the garage. Transferred it from the hoist to an engine stand till I needed it.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Both my engine and my rear were delivered by UPS Freight tractor trailers, different times, different drivers. Both times they had a lift on the back and a pallet jack. Both times they helped me get the items up my gravel driveway to the front of my garage. And yes, I also had a hard time getting my lift over the crate to get the engine up. I sawzalled the side of the crate away until my lift legs fit around it.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thinking about being able to get your engine crane under the pallet.
    I was not that smart. I was able to cut away one corner of the pallet and come at it from an angle and get it lifted that way so that is always an option.
    If you have not already thought of it you are going to eventually need a low profile extended reach floor jack anyways due to the low ride height. If you go ahead and get that it will allow your 4" lifted option to work out.
    I have this one and am pleased. https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ump-60678.html
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Good thinking about being able to get your engine crane under the pallet.
    I was not that smart. I was able to cut away one corner of the pallet and come at it from an angle and get it lifted that way so that is always an option.
    If you have not already thought of it you are going to eventually need a low profile extended reach floor jack anyways due to the low ride height. If you go ahead and get that it will allow your 4" lifted option to work out.
    I have this one and am pleased. https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ump-60678.html
    I didn't get that model but I got a similar 3-ton low profile rapid pump and a couple sets of their 3-ton jack stands on my last visit - at $75 for the jack and under $18 a pair for the jack stands I couldn't pass that deal even though I also have a Ranger Quick Jack. A couple of tricks I picked up at the Mott build school is that you can jack the Roadster from a single 4" tube coming in at an angle near a brake duct to avoid crunching the body near the oil cooler opening. These cars are super rigid and will jack just fine like that. Another trick is to use 3 jack stands when dropping in the motor and trans - use a single jack in the center of the front 4" cross member and two in the back to allow plenty of room to maneuver the crane into place without hitting a stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cts: Rent or borrow a pickup (or trailer) and pick it up at the freight depot. They'll fork it into the back of the pickup/trailer, and you can use your engine hoist to remove it at/in your garage. If you don't have your hoist yet, then you need to get yourself down to Harbor Freight right now and buy one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got word my engine will be delivered tomorrow and the truck will have a lift gate and a pallet jack and they will help to get it to the lip of the garage. They said they will notify me when they are 30 minutes out so that I can get home with some help and I'll bring my pallet jack from work in the back of my truck, so sounds like it's going to be relatively painless.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my driver pull the whole thing inside my garage. He was bit fussing about the protocol/curb drop off, but it was raining and I was pretty persistent...who the heck got some equipment around the house to haul a package weighing close to 1000lb??

Plus it was only ~25 feet from drop off to my garage
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like

Success!

Well I guess a little planning goes a long way. I was able to get the pallet into my garage and up on 8" half cinder blocks with very little trouble. I used my shop's pallet jack to get it into the garage and was able to lift it high enough to get a couple 2x4's under each side, then used my floor jack to lift each end high enough to slip the cinder blocks underneath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Let the fun begin.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little planning goes a long way!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.