Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: A prototype 6R80 trans mount and crossmember

Post Thanks / Like

A prototype 6R80 trans mount and crossmember

Prototype 6R80 trans mount. When I pull the motor out (hopefully next week), I will cut off the FFR trans mounts from the frame. Then I’ll set motor back in, get the angle right and trim the long edge of the crossmember, leaving some as a gusset.

After I see how it goes in again, I may weld the crossbmember in then cut out the center and leave tabs on the frame. Then make another plate that is a removable crossmember. I don’t think it’ll be necessary though, since the mount is on the back of the trans case instead of bottom. The flange will have to be up and above the crossmember when going in before it reaches it anyway. Once I’m sure of that, I’ll decide weather to make the crossmember removable or not. Worst case, I cut it out later, remake it to mount from the bottom and use spacers to her back up to right angle.

This is the back

Front. The two empty holes is where it bolts to the trans. The line is just a reference. I’ll trim off even with bottom of frame tubing once I know exactly wheee it has to go to get angle correct.

For those interested who didn’t see in build thread, the 6R80 goes in with no problems. The back of the pan sits on the frame mounts from FFR. The angle like that isn’t quite enough (just shy of 2*). But nothing else is in the way.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this, and thanks for blazing the trail for those of us who may want to use the 6R80. A bookmark for this thread is going into my "build notes" folder right now.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing, Keith.

I’ll also post 6r80 content here as well as build thread. Hopefully I’ll have the mount finished next week or week after (depending on how long the wife’s honey do list is for Jr’s first birthday party lol). After that, will be a break before find out if converter or gearing is on point
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll most likely be doing something similar too. Haven't got the engine/tranny in yet (hopefully next week) however I have the same tranny mount as you Svt and it doesn't align to the tranny (4L65e) mount holes either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a photo of the trans in the car. You can see that the threaded holes are quite far to the back of the case. Hoppefully that will help me not have to make the crossmember removable. As long as there is enough room to get the trans up high enough to clear it while going in before getting that far back. I’m fairly certain after the initial install that it’ll be fine.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I'll most likely be doing something similar too. Haven't got the engine/tranny in yet (hopefully next week) however I have the same tranny mount as you Svt and it doesn't align to the tranny (4L65e) mount holes either.
    Jim,
    This is the trans mount I used from Amazon. Prothane 7-1604 Red 6 and 8 Cylinder Transmission Mount Kit You just have to shim it foe height. (about 2 inches)
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    Jim,
    This is the trans mount I used from Amazon. Prothane 7-1604 Red 6 and 8 Cylinder Transmission Mount Kit You just have to shim it foe height. (about 2 inches)
    Thanks Andy.
    I spoke to Tony earlier today, he said the one they ship is for a Ford tranny, us GM guys need to get our own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got up today and got the starter index plate in, filled the converter, bolted all that back up. Then started in the trans mount. Cut the FFR brackets off the frame using sawzall and cut off wheels. Ground it smooth. Back in with the motor and trans. Then installed the new trans mount I made. Everything lined up perfectly down the center. Welded in the mount best I could. I’m going to have to clean up some welds once trans is out of the way for paint. Got me a perfect 3* angle on the motor checking at a couple diff places. I may add a gusset on the mount towards the back where it doesn’t touch the frame anywhere to add a little strength to it.

Turning big metal into shavings.

Motor back in, supporting and setting angle. Bolted bracket on trans then adding mount and crossmember to that

Everything in place, angles and alignment triple checked and started welding. Can’t really see some welds. Don’t criticize to bad. I’m not a great welder in tight spots. This will fix when trans out again. You can see my centerline marks in frame bottom in last pic.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted Lokar today and they do have a 6R80 compatible shifter. It also has a manual/sport mode. Manual mode doesn’t work with the Ford ecu they say, only with aftermarket controllers. Sport mode should work, assuming you use a donor ecu and keep the harness to the factory shifter. Using the M-9000-PMCA motor/trans/control package, or just the controls pack from ford for a donor engine/trans, I don’t know if sport mode will even work. There is no extra input in the harness to the stripped down ecu. The shifter will work for P-R-N-D, says lokar. I am going to contact FRPP and see if there is even a sport mode in the ecu (like in the mustangs) or not. I also am curious if the ecu has the ability to have a “manual” like mode where the mustang paddle shifting could be turned on by a tuner. It would be cool to have the forward/reverse manual mode work like the paddle shifters in the mustang. I don’t expect to be able to, using the stripped down controls pack ecu, but I’m going to ask the questions and maybe even poke around with the tuner when the time comes.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    6R80 content! Had to modify the harness to reach the 02 sensor. I thought about loving the sensor but I’d rather have them in same place side to side, so one of the harnesses has to change.

I put in the headers and first sections today. Glad I did before I started the trans tunnel. The driver side 02 sensor plugged right in. Plenty wire. The passenger side didn’t work. The plug for the 02 sensor comes out of the harness about 3/4 of the way down the transmission. The 02 plug falls right about there the starter is after i drilled a hole in the motor mount for the plastic holder to make it neat. So, I dissected the harness and pulled the 02 sensor wires up. I was able to slit the foil cover and unfold the fiber insulation. Once I pulled enough that I could double it back and teach the 02 sensor plug, I tucked all the fiber back in and taped it back up to reseal the harness. I made up where they come out now. I’m out of small split loom so I wrapped them with tape for now. I’ll loom it and tape it to make it look factory eventually. Pics for fun and better than I can describe.

Finished product inside the car

Almost finished product at starter. Loom and a good place to attach it and it’ll look wonderful and hidden
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Updating information found. The ecu gets its trigger for sport mode from the transmission. The cable from the shifter moves the lever on trans into a position past drive and the ecu sees that through the large plug. Not via a switch on the shifter. This might make a fully manual mode unlikely. But downshifting will still be possible (or upshifting if you want to do it earlier than ecu) will work. I’ve got more to look at, and the right shifter could do it, but I don’t know that one exists or can be made to work.

Another delimma to sort out. The lever on trans has 7 positions. I expected 5 (P-R-N-D-S). So not sure what those two others are. I need to pill the factory stang shifter and see how many it has.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Update research info.

Found two places that will make the driveshaft. Using flanges on both ends and they’ll put a splined slip yoke in the shaft itself. One online and one local. Not sure of boards policy of non supporting vendors do I won’t post publicly but all you have to do is call and ask, it seems. Wasn’t very hard to find at all. I think I’ll jse the local guy. He’s made 3 so far for me (two FFR cobras and a t bucket one) and never had any trouble.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. The trans tunnel fits without much headache.

I got the trans tunnel in. It actually fits over the 6R80 easily. Making this transmission fit has been much easier than I expected it to be. Will be trying foot room later today. I also ran the main engine harness to the relay box through the top left of the tunnel.

I did take the time to Install rivnuts in the front face of the tunnel and use the same bolts I used for the firewall to attach it. Makes it a bit of an order puzzle to assemble but it sure looks cleaner than rivets from the inside and will make sure it stays sealed.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    ...I did take the time to Install rivnuts in the front face of the tunnel and use the same bolts I used for the firewall to attach it. Makes it a bit of an order puzzle to assemble but it sure looks cleaner than rivets from the inside and will make sure it stays sealed.
    Curious why you wouldn't put the rivnuts on the firewall and then screw the tunnel down to that. I wouldn't think the ends of the rivnuts would be very visible behind the engine, and you wouldn't need to have double jointed wrists and fingers to get behind the engine to remove the tunnel.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, you’re right. They wouldnt be very visible. But they would be. And I’m trying to really take this build to the next level of details like that. Honestly, a couple rivets would work just fine. And, accessing them actually isn’t very hard at all. The top one on reach side is worst, and can still get a hand in the do it. My short pattern Allen’s get back there and tightened them quite easily.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    After bit messing with trans stuff for awhile, it’s time again. I’ve ran the car and filled it in park. I cut an access hole in the tunnel to fill it for now. Being a sealed trans, now I shouldn’t have to mess with it h til I change fluid and that’ll be awhile. I’ll do that on a lift. I’ll glass up that hole one day.

The 6R80 transmission doesn’t use a slip yoke in the output. It has a flange. FFR doesn’t support this trans yet. So, after calling several online driveshaft shops as gasping at the price, I called my usual dude. He can make the driveshaft with the splined yoke in it, balanced and ready to bolt in for a much more reasonable cost. Still quite a bit more than the normal style shafts lol. So, I brought him the two flanges I have (one for each end) and the one new u joint I sourced from the FFR driveshaft. They have to order the parts for the slip yoke but said it should be ready by middle of next week. Another hurdle sorted and hopefully solved. I think that was the last “must have” hurdle, and everything else is “this’ll make it real cool” hurdles to make this trans work.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up and installed the driveshaft. It’s 38 1/8” installed but the slip joint allows for the expansion and collapsing for movement. A grease fitting for the slip yoke fell perfectly accessible from the bottom. I did have to drop the rear end to get it in though.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it in today. Ready for first go cart tomorrow I hope! I will have to brace the mounting surface when I take the tunnel out. I used rivnuts as the bolts where not long enough.

I did have to reangle the bracket to clear the frame.

Installed and done. Will have to put a keeper to keep cable out of driveshaft. Otherwise works wonderfully. The side movement for up and down shift is real neat. Can't wait to wire that up and try it.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Converter news!

Using power brakes (I have the ABS electro hydraulic system), the frpp crate setup converter is perfect! Not too much brake force needed to keep the car stopped. Let off and car moves. I am very pleased. With no power brakes, though, you may consider a slightly looser converter.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like

Sport Shifter With Factory PCM

I've been following your build with much interest. Thanks for the 6R80 installation information. I too am installing a Coyote and 6R80 with Lokar shifter.

Were you successful getting the Lokar shifter sport shift mode to work with the factory PCM? If so, I'd appreciate some details.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't attempted that yet. Honestly, ive kinda gotten side tracked with a bathroom expansion and remodel and catching up around the house. Pressure washing, etc. The next step is to get the blower on and get it tuned right, then later on I'll make attempt at those. I make no promises when, but I will be playing with that later. I put that aside when I couldn't find a wreckes 2015-18 Mustang to steal a computer plug from and can't seem to find anyone who knows what pins I'd need to attain to plug into the harness properly. But when I do, I'll Def be posting that here.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like

Sport Shifter With Factory PCM

I have a lot to do before I tackle that task myself. I'll let you know if a get it figured out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please do. Thanks!
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also using a 2nd Gen Coyote with the 6R80, but in my case in a 1970 Mach 1 restomod. I contacted Ford Performance and obtained a pin out for their controls pack. Yes the controls pack for the 2nd Gen Coyote for use with the 6R80 supports the sport shift mode, or so they said.

5L mustang Paddle Shift0001.jpg5L mustang Paddle Shift0002.jpg
    Last edited by Alan_C; 10-08-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: reordered attachments

Certified Car Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    I am also using a 2nd Gen Coyote with the 6R80, but in my case in a 1970 Mach 1 restomod. I contacted Ford Performance and obtained a pin out for their controls pack. Yes the controls pack for the 2nd Gen Coyote for use with the 6R80 supports the sport shift mode, or so they said.

5L mustang Paddle Shift0001.jpg5L mustang Paddle Shift0002.jpg
    Thank you very much for this information! I'm using a 2012 PCM, so this may not work, but I'm going to give it a try. Please let us know if you are successful.

Post Thanks / Like
    You’re 2012 pcm pin out is very likely different.

I have the same pin out. Power by the hour has verified that it does and will work. I’m going to hook up the Lokar switches to those pins and use it as a back and forth down and up shift function. They said they aren’t sure if the true sport shift as in the mustangs will function (and ford hasn’t and won’t say which pins to actually put it into “s” mode).
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the OEM 6R80 shifter and can determine which wire in the shifter harness is for the "S" sport mode. I plan to buy a Mustang GT electrical diagram and will then trace back the wire path to the ECU. It is going to be a while before I get into my wiring, so if one of you figures out the sport shift wiring in full, please post.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the OEM 6R80 shifter and can determine which wire in the shifter harness is for the "S" sport mode. I plan to buy a Mustang GT electrical diagram and will then trace back the wire path to the ECU. It is going to be a while before I get into my wiring, so if one of you figures out the sport shift wiring in full, please post.

Alan
    Sport mode is not activated in the shifter. It moves the trans lever to a sport mode position and the signal is sent from the trans to the ecu to enter sport mode. It is done on a canbus communications system. Same with neutral safety switch. The people who knows say that you cannot force the controls pack ecu into a sport mode. One tuner has confirmed this with me. However, you can use the upshift and downshift function. Ford makes the pin out for the controls pack ecu available. I will be making this part of my Lokar shifter work. I plan on working on that soon. I have to get the pins to tap into the ecu plug

For those going down this path, I have learned that the stock mustang converter, which is supposed to stall at 2800ish rpm, is just too tight. I have confirmed this with one other person who has this setup in a very similar weight car to the hot rod and they had the same problem. I swapped to a 3400 advertised yank (brand) converter. A circle d is also a good bet and well known in the mustang world. And now the car acts perfectly. It’s even still a little tight when cold but after it warms up some, literally 1/4 mile down my street at almost an idle and still not the full weight installed in the car, it brakes and stops easily with manual brakes.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

29. Likes TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More 6r80 details!

Finished up the shifter mount. Welded two tabs to the trans crossmember and the mount brace bolts to those. It’s rock solid, out of the way of the driveshaft flange and the wiring will be easy to keep out of it also. Then I cut out the tunnel for it. Since this pic, I trimmed the cable stay down and gonna patch up the slit I cut in the tunnel. Now it sits slightly lower, the bracing and cable stay will now not need to be bezeled and trimmed around. Should make it look cleaner for the final assembly.

'33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

31. Likes TxMike64, JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here we go! Making the select shift of the frpp controls pack for 6r80 work.

I ordered the pins to add from power by the hour. It comes with the placement instructions. I soldered 3 wires colors to the pins and pigtails provided and shrink wrapped them.

Next, unplug the body harness from the ecu. This is the one that goes to the black box with relays and fuses. Looks like this from the plug side

Cut the tape and unwrap. Remove the strain relief cover by pinching the sides and popping out.

If you look at the back of the plug now, and look in the location 22 and 23, you can see the plastic plugs that have to come out. The plug is marked with the PIN numbers at the ends and you have to count over from there. Using a pick, gently pry the white front off the plug.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/riqV98O.jpg
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Next, use a pick from the front and push the plastic pins out of the back enough to grab them in the 3 positions noted in instructions. Then pull them on out.

Now, you insert the new pins in the same orientation that all the other pins are. The spring pressure tab should be facing the same way. Push each one in until it clicks. I think it’ll only go in one way. Finished, it looks like this and they should be flush with the front.

Reinstall the white front cover, the black strain relief in the back, running the new wires in the harness. Tape it all back up. You can then decide how to run the 3 new wires to your switches. I went along the body harness (I will put it in the harness when I pull it all out for paint) and will jump out where it goes into the car and run a new loomed leg to the switches. You can use any switches you want. Console mounted momentary buttons or even some sort of paddle on the wheel.

I fired it up and tested and seems it’s working great on the jack stands. One day I’ll go try it out in the street.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

34. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for sorting out the wiring to the ECM connector. I went on the PBH website and kept looking for the Select Shift Pin Out Kit. I finally found it under adapters and electrical parts. Now to start work on a shifter mount similar to yours.

https://pbhperformance.com/product-c...ctrical-parts/

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you made any drawings of the mounts for the transmission and shifter? Would you mind to share them?

Thanks
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    20200419_122543.jpg 20190830_150944.jpg 20200116_175326.jpg

In case you want some options, I went down a slightly different path. I used the FFR supplied transmission mount with a cut down piece of 2.5" steel angle. The 6R80 ended up at the correct -2° angle on the first try.

I went the erector set route for the shifter mount since I used the shifter that came with my Coyote Power Module. Sorry, no drawings available. If you want to go this way you can PM me and I'll take some measurements for you and/or send more photos.

Keith HR #894

38. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks likes a meccano box....
    Last edited by j33ptj; 10-07-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Svtfreak: You appear to be the furthest along of anyone using the 6R80. Can you tell me if the 6R80, engine harness, and controls pack have a neutral safety switch function built in? I have this question into Tom at Ford Performance, but no reply from them yet. Trying to determine if the neutral safety switch function is implemented by the transmission shift level position, like the sport shift function, or if Ford senses the position from the OEM shifter? There were wires going to the shifter assembly, so it is possible they did it in the shifter. Ford won't share the wire/signal list for the engine harness connector on the PCM, I have asked twice. The only wiring information they will share is the controls pack, body harness, connector data. FP did point out that the clutch bottom of travel switch and our Lokar shifter could be used to implement one, however I do not want to do something redundant to what may already be there.

Thanks,

Alan
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Svtfreak: You appear to be the furthest along of anyone using the 6R80. Can you tell me if the 6R80, engine harness, and controls pack have a neutral safety switch function built in? I have this question into Tom at Ford Performance, but no reply from them yet. Trying to determine if the neutral safety switch function is implemented by the transmission shift level position, like the sport shift function, or if Ford senses the position from the OEM shifter? There were wires going to the shifter assembly, so it is possible they did it in the shifter. Ford won't share the wire/signal list for the engine harness connector on the PCM, I have asked twice. The only wiring information they will share is the controls pack, body harness, connector data. FP did point out that the clutch bottom of travel switch and our Lokar shifter could be used to implement one, however I do not want to do something redundant to what may already be there.

Thanks,

Alan
    Hey Alan. Yessir, the 6r80 when connected to thr controls pack ecu does already have a neutral safety switch in it.

I tried to reply to your pm but getting an error. Please pm me your email address and I will email you directly.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster