Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flimsy vs. Solid Doors...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
    My doors were installed and adjusted by Da Bat, they close with a solid "clunk". They have no insulation. I've had more than a few people open them, then close them just to hear the "clunk". They are amazed that it's a "kit car".

John
    Have to agree with this. Its all about the care & skill in mounting them properly. One thing I farmed out with the painting was to have Whitby mount the body onto the chassis. Made for a very easy build.

I trucked the body to Whitby's about 4 months after I got the kit. This allowed me to continue to build the chassis to go-cart status while the body was being prepped. Trailered the go-cart down when I was done & picked up the finished car a month later.

Total elapsed time 13 months delivery to license plates.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Have to agree with this. Its all about the care & skill in mounting them properly. One thing I farmed out with the painting was to have Whitby mount the body onto the chassis. Made for a very easy build.

I trucked the body to Whitby's about 4 months after I got the kit. This allowed me to continue to build the chassis to go-cart status while the body was being prepped. Trailered the go-cart down when I was done & picked up the finished car a month later.

Total elapsed time 13 months delivery to license plates.
    I hope to move at that speed! Let me ask you this. Do the doors need any type of body work before being fitted or is it just a matter of getting them aligned correctly when installing? I had planned to maybe try my hand at bodywork, but not sure at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I hope to move at that speed! Let me ask you this. Do the doors need any type of body work before being fitted or is it just a matter of getting them aligned correctly when installing? I had planned to maybe try my hand at bodywork, but not sure at this point.
    Doors are oversized & need body work to custom fit to the specific body.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Do the doors need any type of body work before being fitted or is it just a matter of getting them aligned correctly when installing?....
    OMG! Thanks for that...I needed a good laugh today!

Hey Miller! Want to hear a good one?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    OMG! Thanks for that...I needed a good laugh today!

Hey Miller! Want to hear a good one?

Jeff
    No problem. I'll be here all week...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an area where it depends on who will paint your car and how much you expect him to do. Also important how perfect you want to make your car. The doors, hood and trunk need massaging to fit nicely. If you have a painter in mind, but he doesn't do FFRs, you can do a lot of this yourself. And probably should. Do you want your doors to fit the opening, and open and close properly? Not too hard, just takes time, and you can do it. Now, if you want to be able to hold a yard stick against the door and the front fender, to check if those parts are in one perfect line from the top to the bottom, this is what takes some experience, and is why Jeff was laughing. There are several good body work threads which will give you ideas of what all is involved. This is kind of like the old saying, speed costs money so how fast can you afford to go. FFR body work perfection costs money so how perfect do you want it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    This is an area where it depends on who will paint your car and how much you expect him to do. Also important how perfect you want to make your car. The doors, hood and trunk need massaging to fit nicely. If you have a painter in mind, but he doesn't do FFRs, you can do a lot of this yourself. And probably should. Do you want your doors to fit the opening, and open and close properly? Not too hard, just takes time, and you can do it. Now, if you want to be able to hold a yard stick against the door and the front fender, to check if those parts are in one perfect line from the top to the bottom, this is what takes some experience, and is why Jeff was laughing. There are several good body work threads which will give you ideas of what all is involved. This is kind of like the old saying, speed costs money so how fast can you afford to go. FFR body work perfection costs money so how perfect do you want it.
    Can't deal with doors that are not flush to the body. I'll check out Jeff's body work thread. In the meantime, I'll look to see if there are any painters who have done FFR bodies before in my area. Are their any lists on the forum? I'd like to be able to do the bulk of the bodywork myself, but I know that some painters will not warranty the paint job if they don't do the blocking and sanding themselves. I get that and will need to check around before making a decision. Thanks.
    Last edited by cv2065; 03-25-2018 at 05:52 PM.