Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone done a LS in a MK4 and used FFR side pipes?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone done a LS in a MK4 and used FFR side pipes?

I have a customer who is adamant about having a LS powered MK4. I know how to do everything except the exhaust. He wants the S/S FFR side pipes. Does anyone make headers or adapters for this purpose? Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom- Johnny at FFR built his with an Ls. He made his own headers but can tell you whatever you need to know.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are moving the engine forward a good bit, like I did for my SBC build, then you may be able to use Shoenfeld IMCA Adjustable headers as a starting point to save you some header fabrication aggravation.

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/imcaump-modified4.html

I know that the LS mounts are in the middle of the block so as long as the centerline is in line with the side pipe holes in the body then these headers may be of use to you. I've got their "Shorty SBC Version" on my car and used them to help me line up and set the driveline.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-24-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an LS in mine but built an undercar exhaust. You might be able to start with Ford 5.0 headers and put LS flanges on them. The port spacing is virtually the same. You have a lot of room to move an LS forward and back as it is very compact. Mine is sitting so the crank pulley is just behind the 4 inch crosstube. You will also need the right engine mounts and the very short Holley oil pan. My build thread has some pics. Using corvette pulley spacing helps as it is the most compact.
    LS1, TKO600, IRS, no scoop, undercar exhaust. Delivered June 14, 2017, First start December 31, 2017, Registered and Titled Sept 12, 2019.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked this question up on Google and Stainless Headers MFG. makes some. They can help me out. Thanks guys!

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/cobraheaders
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-24-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I looked this question up on Google and Stainless Headers MFG. makes some. They can help me out. Thanks guys!

Sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Pretty sure that business is now handled by GP Headers. When I went to buy some a couple years ago, found out they had the business now. Either their website is not up to date. Or something changed (again). https://www.gpheaders.com/products/cobra-kit-headers/. The headers I received from GP Headers are beautiful. Couldn't be happier with them. I know they do custom work so I'm sure could make something that meets your needs.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently built an MKIV with a 6.2L LS3 and FFR pipes. I called and talked to Stainless and yes, they are more than willing to build a set if your or your customer has the financial means. Based on what I saw and other's experience with them, worth every last penny for the super high quality construction.
    The challenge you'll find is there are no common engine mounts to put an LS into a FFR, therefore each set of pipes will be different depending on where the engine is mounted fore/aft AND up/down. So they're not using a common jig, you need to measure and they'll build you the pipes.
    Since I used homemade engine mounts I decided to build the pipes myself too. It is not hard, but is definitely very tedious. I used common tools, a chop saw, sander, cutoff wheel, etc... but spent most of my time with a protractor and angle finder.
    Check out this link if you want more info.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Custom-Headers

-TJ
    Last edited by Mountain-Metalworks; 03-24-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, There is a company that makes LS engine mounts to go on the Fox Body Mustangs that is adjustable fore and aft. I guess I will contact them when I get the drive train in and make whatever measurements are needed. I do not have a TIG machine or else I would make some. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, There is a company that makes LS engine mounts to go on the Fox Body Mustangs that is adjustable fore and aft. I guess I will contact them when I get the drive train in and make whatever measurements are needed. I do not have a TIG machine or else I would make some. Thanks again.
    Are you thinking Dirty Dingo mounts, BRP Hotrod, or some other? If you are thinking BRP, I have a set that I'll sell you. Installed but not used, I ended up building my own based on my tranny choice.

These are my homemade ones:

And these are the BRP Hotrod ones:

-TJ