BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5 speed oil leve?

Post Thanks / Like

5 speed oil leve?

how much oil is everyone able to get in there 5 speed trans? I have the car level and put in 2 qts and it says is over full? any one else have this issue?
    Last edited by Lumpyguy; 03-24-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the FFR manual 3.7 quarts if I remember right. That is the amount I put in the trans and remarked the dipstick. I believe there are a few who add added just to the full mark on the dipstick and burned down the transmission. I have not had any trans issues on my track car.

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission is not on the same plane in the 818 as in the car. For example the first time you go up a steep grade close to a half guart runs into the now hollowed out rear case and does not run back because of the case lip. Put in the whole 3.7/3.8 quarts then remark the dip stick to the new level. At least this was my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    how far up the dipstick should the mark be, just so I have an idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi: Chad re-marked the dipstick. Fluid was changed a few months ago by Yimisport. They said the same thing - put in the 3.7 quarts. Many track days on my car and no issues other than the trans runs warm when driven hard because there is no cooling on the 5 MT. I am doing 20 - 30 minute sessions.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is nearly 2" over the full mark when you put the correct amount of oil in it.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    you guys rock, Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that with the frame level? I was going to use a bubble level on either the transmission itself or the frame and use that as my standard for checking fluids unless folks have a better idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    It is nearly 2" over the full mark when you put the correct amount of oil in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    Is that with the frame level? I was going to use a bubble level on either the transmission itself or the frame and use that as my standard for checking fluids unless folks have a better idea?
    I remade the trans mount and lowered it by almost an inch. With that done, car on hoist, dash frame showed zero bubble,
    frame showed 1/4 bubble lower in rear, trans showed zero bubble and the trans with WP suggested level of 3.65 quarts
    showed about 2 in above fill. WP suggested overfilling anyway since engine is still tilted, just not as much. Zero bubble on trans is just a reference since you are measuring on casting. It was 1.6 deg before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I lost 5th gear I think for lack of oil, overfill is better than underfill.
    -Steve

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Partial hi-jack but still along the lines of this thread ...

That big empty container - the back carrier without gears - bugs me. Holds oil as mentioned more than once, for no reason other than it is there. I've been contemplating filling that box with expanding urethane foam (two part mix type), some of which I've read is gasoline, oil impervious (or at least resistant). Seems like a reasonable way to end worries about oil slopping back there and not getting back to the main casing quickly.

Thoughts anyone ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    Partial hi-jack but still along the lines of this thread ...

That big empty container - the back carrier without gears - bugs me. Holds oil as mentioned more than once, for no reason other than it is there. I've been contemplating filling that box with expanding urethane foam (two part mix type), some of which I've read is gasoline, oil impervious (or at least resistant). Seems like a reasonable way to end worries about oil slopping back there and not getting back to the main casing quickly.

Thoughts anyone ?
    I used a plug made by Subarugears to prevent oil from going into the rear diff housing.
    subaplug.jpg

http://www.subarugears.com/Pricing/Pricing.html

I also filled the drain back hole with RTV.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread