Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pic Request: Gen 3 Coupe with a 9.5" deck small block

Post Thanks / Like

Pic Request: Gen 3 Coupe with a 9.5" deck small block

I am waiting on my kit to arrive and finishing up my engine build. I searched all over for pics of 351 based small blocks in Gen 3s, but I can't seem to find any. I would love some good engine bay shots to help me visualize where/how I want to route my EFI engine harness. Also would like to confirm accessories will fit where I have them.
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a 351, but a 302 based 347, also not EFI, but its close

20210926_192429.jpg

20210926_193454.jpg

20210926_193508.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those pics. They do help a little. Especially for understanding clearance behind the engine, as that should be identical. Looks like you're running a non-airgap Performer RPM intake. Any idea on hood clearance? If so, with what height filter and what engine mounts?

I have to laugh that the only response has been from someone with a short deck Windsor and right hand drive. I guess the Coyote platform is king around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of them are thing of beauty

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich is that white car a Comet or a Coronet.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes thanks for the pics. this answered some questions for me as well. GT Rich and I must be one of the few that are going old school, not going with a Coyote motor. Me being even older and going Carbureted Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    With my engine mounts and torquer 2 intake, snyper EFI with Holleys drop base 14" round air cleaner, a 408 barely fits under the hood. Shoot me and email and we can talk more about it.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunter View Post
    Rich is that white car a Comet or a Coronet.
    '62 Comet. It's a car I restored and race. I post a lot on Instagram @custom_comet. Summit featured it in 2020. Here's an article:
    https://www.summitracing.com/newsand...-mercury-comet

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tall deck 351 you have to use a drop base round air cleaner and then its still close to hitting the hood. A lot depends on your intake manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rich View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those pics. They do help a little. Especially for understanding clearance behind the engine, as that should be identical. Looks like you're running a non-airgap Performer RPM intake. Any idea on hood clearance? If so, with what height filter and what engine mounts?

I have to laugh that the only response has been from someone with a short deck Windsor and right hand drive. I guess the Coyote platform is king around here.
    Hi,

Yeah, the Coyotote certainly seems to be the engine of choice, for me I want the old school look, so had to be a carb setup on a ford small block.

I had to take the engine out before I got a chance to check for the bonnet clearance (different story) so not sure as yet what filter I will need, etc.

It is the air gap RPM intake with a Quick Fuel carb.

Would be interesting to hear how you get on, as I was advised not to use the 351 due ti the height, hence why I went with a stroked 302.

Im sure you will get there though, as it would have been done.

thanks
    Phil