Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Cruise control

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise control

Has anyone successfully installed cruise control on a Coyote build? I have a gen2 crate motor and ecm. I have done some research but have not found anything that stands out. I am looking for a stand alone system that will work with the DBW throttle.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interested in this as well. (Not as far along, haven’t ordered the coyote yet, but soon.)
    Have done a little research on Summit’s (etc) to see what’s available. Tried forum searches but found nothing of any substance.

Hoping to do some touring and traveling with the Cobra and thinking the cruise control would be helpful for fatigue and speed management.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen this one mentioned by several builders. Interfaces to the Coyote DBW setup. Still requires magnets to be installed on the driveshaft with a pickup though. http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...-classic-cars/.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed one and it works very well with the magnets on the drive shaft. I tried to use the transmission out put to control the cruise functions but the operation was some what erratic. I didn't use the pulse divider on the transmission output so that may have been the problem. I wanted to make sure it worked OK with the drive shaft magnets and never went back to try it with the pulse divided in the transmission circuit.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the DBW version of the system that I purchased. I too have the one with magnets on the driveshaft. But haven't been able to test yet to give an opinion. Just wanted to give you some info for you to research.

Cruise Control for Electronic Speedometers
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 250-1882 with dash pad, but have not drove car yet. The people at (the cruse control store)were very helpful.

7. Likes ChopperJustin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the responses and input. I will look at these.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    X2!

Many thanks all.

10. Thanks Anonymoose thanked for this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice! adding this to research!

surprised you zip-tie magnets to the driveshaft works... is there no more permanent method?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    nice! adding this to research!

surprised you zip-tie magnets to the driveshaft works... is there no more permanent method?
    Toadster , you could epoxy the magnets to the drive shaft. Just need a clan surface on the drive shaft.

13. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should ask, I just installed one on my Mk4 with Gen2 Coyote and I love it. I finished it yesterday and drove 45 min on I70 to the autocross track this morning and back. It works beautifully! Like Paul said, the 250-1882 is what you need as it is for hotrod builds. There is a drop down menu that asks if you want the pedal interface harness for the coyote drive by wire. It is part number 250-2761 and it saves you a bunch of cut and solder work. Then there is another drop down menu for the controller. I chose the dash pad because I wanted it mounted out of sight under the dash. Part number: 250-3593 Universal Cruise Control Switch Dash Mount Without Engage light.

The magnets get epoxied to the drive shaft and a zip tie just holds them in place until it dries. I mounted the magnet coil sensor to my drive shaft safety loop. It takes a while to install the whole thing and is a little confusing at first, but if you call with questions they are very helpful and knowledgeable at the Cruise Control Store.
    Last edited by GTBradley; 04-17-2022 at 09:34 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a manual gearbox, why not just use a signal from engine ignition (rpm)?

My ‘87 4Runner has a crude cruise control unit that was installed somewhere between boat and dealer lot and that’s how it works — little vampire coil on #4 plug wire for speed sensor function.

The big “gotcha” is you need a disengage switch in the clutch arm as well as the brake arm, which you should have anyway.