Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: About to start a GTM Build in Dallas, TX

Post Thanks / Like

About to start a GTM Build in Dallas, TX

Hi!

I've been checking out these forums for a while, deciding if I'd actually do a GTM build. There's a lot of good info here, some of it makes me wary (I've never done body work), but I figure I'll deal with it when the time comes.

Only have mild experience, I've restored a 1974 Camaro (engine, transmission, brakes, interior, electrical, etc.) before. Definitely not to show-quality levels, but "good enough" for me. Sold it to make room for the GTM.
    I've got a Mech Eng master's degree, so that's my background. I do design work and project management - and I've got the excel charts and budget worked up for the GTM to prove it.

I'm almost done with upgrading the garage. I've laid down Racedeck Diamond floor tiles, in-process of adding 2 20-amp electrical circuits to the garage, and in-process of added compressed air lines to the garage. Then comes kit ordering time!

Should be fun? Yeah.. fun's the word I'll use...

Ryan

Edit: There are more people around me than I thought! I'm in central Plano
    Last edited by Perkster029; 03-29-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and there are several words I would use when building a car but some are not nice! Seriously it has been fun, challenging and educational! And once it is done it should be rewarding!!! I am in Lewisville but I am building a Roadster so I might not be much help with your GTM.

Roy

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum... I would love to help you with your GTM as I am thinking about doing one after I am done with the Hot Rod. At least make sure you make a build thread and keep it updated as you go along.

I am up in the Frisco area so if you need any help feel free to give me a yell.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome!
    Please keep us posted on your progress.
    What part of Dallas are you in?
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm over in Plano, didn't realize there would be people so close by!

And yes, I plan on being extraordinarily methodical with my building methods. I suspect I will be taking lots of pictures, and writing instructions for myself based off the installation "manual".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Welcome to the forum... I would love to help you with your GTM as I am thinking about doing one after I am done with the Hot Rod. At least make sure you make a build thread and keep it updated as you go along.

I am up in the Frisco area so if you need any help feel free to give me a yell.
    You're right down the road, then! Cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkster029 View Post
    You're right down the road, then! Cool!
    Yep and probably have more tools than you can shake a stick at. To include an engine lift if you don't have one.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep and probably have more tools than you can shake a stick at. To include an engine lift if you don't have one.

Hmm.. I may need to buy you a beer or ten. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about an engine lift. Last time, I bought a used one, installed the engine, then just sold it again!

I've started a build log on my website: gtm.perkinsons.com. Haven't done much but garage stuff so far, but interesting stuff will make it onto there soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkster029 View Post
    Hmm.. I may need to buy you a beer or ten. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about an engine lift. Last time, I bought a used one, installed the engine, then just sold it again!

I've started a build log on my website: gtm.perkinsons.com. Haven't done much but garage stuff so far, but interesting stuff will make it onto there soon enough.

Yep, you can use the lift. Just have to have a truck to get it there.

I think I will like your site. I have one as well at http://hotrod.sapp-family.com and keep it up to date as well. Just as an FYI thought I was unable to see any pictures you have on your site. I tried with both Opera and Firefox.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, you can use the lift. Just have to have a truck to get it there.

I think I will like your site. I have one as well at http://hotrod.sapp-family.com and keep it up to date as well. Just as an FYI thought I was unable to see any pictures you have on your site. I tried with both Opera and Firefox.
    Hmm. Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look when I get back in town. Probably some permissions issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I dought you will have any more problems than the rest of us gear heads. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gtaroger View Post
    Welcome! I dought you will have any more problems than the rest of us gear heads. Roger
    Ha! So I'll be overran with problems, but loving every minute of it!!