Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: From Stewart Delivery to my garage

Post Thanks / Like

From Stewart Delivery to my garage

ok, so I am down to my last 24 hours before delivery! Thanks for all the support along the way... next challenge is how to get the kit unloaded and into my garage (barn)?

So I have been in contact with the driver (hi Jim!) and my neighborhood road and driveway seems concerning to him. Even though its all straight and level, we're a bit crowded in with trees and small/narrow lanes.

I think he can get to my house ok, but then the next challenge is getting into the driveway and then down my gravel "path" to my barn.

Jim suggested I rent a flatbed trailer for the day... unfortunately none available to rent nearby. I did build a frame dolly based on Jazzman's design, but I dont know how well those casters will plow thru my gravel, so may have to get some plywood sheets, then figure out how to brake it or winch it down... It does look like Home Depot nearby has a 5' x 8' trailer with a ramp.

So, I figured I would check with everyone here for more ideas. Maybe call a tow company to see if they can get a flatbed out here for 30 minutes work?

The gravel path is not very long, probably 30 ft long and 5 ft down. I may add some pics if that helps.

Thanks in advance
    -Brian
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brian

Could be the same 'Jim' that I had last weekend to deliver my kit to San Diego. He expressed concerns that I had too many cul-de-sac roads in my neighborhood for his 53' trailer to navigate. I arranged to meet him a couple of miles away where he parked his trailer in a big dirt lot, then i drove him in my car to my house so he could see the roads and could plan his route. He got back into his truck and he managed to pull right up to my house. We then both unloaded the boxes and he used his crane, and big dolly to wheel the chassis/body up my driveway.

I would plan for the worst and get some form of flat bed truck, or something else just incase he can't get all the way to your house. My fallback plan was to get to home depot and rent one of their trucks, or go see Uhaul to rent a van.

Good luck and congrats on the delivery!! I've just now completed my inventory check, only 2 items missing ( impressive ). Now I'm planning my hoists to hoist up the body in my garage roof while I work underneath it.

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like

Overhead aerial view

Red box is the gravel downhill slope to the sport court where the garage to the barn is.

Fun
    -B
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    Brian

Could be the same 'Jim' that I had last weekend to deliver my kit to San Diego. He expressed concerns that I had too many cul-de-sac roads in my neighborhood for his 53' trailer to navigate. I arranged to meet him a couple of miles away where he parked his trailer in a big dirt lot, then i drove him in my car to my house so he could see the roads and could plan his route. He got back into his truck and he managed to pull right up to my house. We then both unloaded the boxes and he used his crane, and big dolly to wheel the chassis/body up my driveway.

I would plan for the worst and get some form of flat bed truck, or something else just incase he can't get all the way to your house. My fallback plan was to get to home depot and rent one of their trucks, or go see Uhaul to rent a van.

Good luck and congrats on the delivery!! I've just now completed my inventory check, only 2 items missing ( impressive ). Now I'm planning my hoists to hoist up the body in my garage roof while I work underneath it.

mark
    Hey Mark - I am sure it is the same driver. He told me you were on the start of his list and I am the final one in his route I think.

I have a few plan B's, including the tow truck and putting in my main garage via the frame dolly for now until i figure out the last 100 feet.

Thx
    -B
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool. He was headed to NM after me, then on to CO after that. He had 7 kits on the trailer
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    The dolly they had for my delivery had big pneumatic tires and was a breeze to pull up my very steep driveway.
    I have seen pictures of them being pulled down dirt roads with tractors to make deliveries, I don't think your path will be a problem for the cart.

Post Thanks / Like
    My street was too busy for us to unload on it, so I had to go to a close by empty parking lot and unload from the FFR trailer onto a flatbed tow truck and then then form tow truck into my garage. It was fine, but definitely more time consuming and costly (it will be more than 30 minutes).
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame/body assembly is not that heavy (couple of hundred pounds maybe?). Worst case, if Jim can get to the front of the house, you and a couple of friends/neighbors will be easily able to just carry the frame and boxes where they need to go. A couple of 2"x2" boards through the wheel wells and under the frame would make things easier.

But I'm betting Jim's dolly will have no problem.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any experience with this yet, however, I would think that the chassis dolly and some plywood panels should get you down the slope in a pinch. I am guessing you would be okay with three panels. After you get off the first panel, move it in front of the dolly and keep them rotating until you are at the sports court or in the garage. Good Luck.