Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help me make a GTM mod list?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Help me make a GTM mod list?

Hi all,

I've tried to start a list of mods beyond the basic kit that FFR ships out. I plan to drive this regularly on the street to/from work. Here's what I've got so far:

(EDIT: I will edit and update this list as the thread progresses)

FFR Mods
    Heating/AC
    Front Splitter
    Rocker Extension
    Spoiler
    Telescoping Steering - this is specific to your donor car's steering column
    Cold Air Intake - Removed
    Fender Louver - Removed

Questions: Answered
    Roof Scoop - does this provide cold air the the engine? Is it rally car style blowing into the cabin? Or is it purely aesthetic?
    Telescoping Steering - what does this offer?

Non FFR Mods
    Window Stops http://vraptorspeedworks.com/window-down-travel-stops/
    Stereo Panel http://vraptorspeedworks.com/stereo-close-out-panel-36/
    Skids http://www.norcal-cobras.com/store/r...e/gtm/gtm.html
    Window NACA Ducts http://vraptorspeedworks.com/wing-wi...ca-ducts-pair/
    Rear Body Vents http://vraptorspeedworks.com/custom-...dy-vents-pair/
    Both Louvered Belly Pans http://vraptorspeedworks.com/louvere...all-trapezoid/ and http://vraptorspeedworks.com/louvere...-narrow-panel/
    Rear Hatch Replacement http://vraptorspeedworks.com/rear-ha...acement-panel/
    Kooks exhaust http://vraptorspeedworks.com/complet...xhaust-system/

Some form of sound deadening

What else, what else??
    Last edited by Perkster029; 04-24-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Editing as thread progresses

Post Thanks / Like
    Roof Scoop - does this provide cold air the the engine? Is it rally car style blowing into the cabin? Or is it purely aesthetic?
    -You can make it run to an airbox for the engine, but I think you are on your own for that. You would could split lines out of it to either side if you wanted to keep the rear window. I would guess that most of the roof scoops are for aesthetics. The PDG GTM race car used the roof scoop to feed cool air to the cockpit, but I believed they sealed it up due to too much crap coming in.

Telescoping Steering - what does this offer?
    -I see this as additional ballast. I'd only do it if I was planning on having more than 1 routine driver with significantly different arm lengths. Set your wheel to where you want it. If you are big, you may want a removable wheel anyways.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    On the FFR cold air intake, that is only going to work if you are using an LS1/LS6 or if you are planning on not running a MAF sensor and going with a speed/density engine tune.

I have some good pricing on the same rear wing as well as a way to mount the wing direct to the chassis.

Telescoping steering....it does help to get a comfortable position for you, but as beeman said above, if you're going to be the only driver, you can set up the steering column/wheel position to suit yourself during the build, and then you really don't need the tele option.

The roof scoop is functional. FFR has you cut a slit in the roof so that the air from the roof scoop dumps into the engine bay. The more fresh air you can get into the engine bay, the better.

I'm not trying to sell parts, but I would very highly recommend that you look into as much "venting" of the engine bay as possible......hatch louvers, rear body louvers, side scoop louvers, diffuser louvers, quarter window scoops......you don't need ALL of those things, but I would recommend at least some of them. The perforated metal that comes with the kit flows virtually no air.....and the engine bay will get extremely hot...which will cause your cockpit to be extremely hot....no matter how much insulation you use. The best way to keep the engine bay and cockpit cool is to get as much fresh air into the engine bay as possible (roof scoop, quarter window scoops, side scoops, rear hatch glass replacement) and vent out as much heat as possible (hatch louvers, rear body louvers, diffuser louvers, louvered belly pans, hatch glass replacement). These products are not just for looks....there is a reason that they were all the very first products that I designed and began to sell.....because without them, the engine bay and cockpit temps are insane.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Shane mentioned, the FF Cold Air Intake will only work if you are to go with what he mentioned. BTW I have one for sale, 100% complete, never installed, and in the box from FF. I picked it up a while ago and then decided to go a different direction. Like this item for sale, if you keep an eye out for deals, you will find then and same some $$$ for other upgrades/extras.

I highly recommend you spend some time on Shane's (VRaptor SpeedWorks) Site. Not only will he provide answers to just about every GTM question out there, he has gone through and make many fixes that address known GTM issues. The main one dealing with heat management.

I put together a BOM (Bill of Materials) that I would be happy to share with the forum if you are interested. I started to plug and play all the items I want to buy, have bought, websites, general notes, and all kinds of notes for my entire build. It helps me keep track of what I have received and what I have paid for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've got my eye on an LS3, so I guess no FFR cold air intake.

@Shoeless

I'm not sure anyone would say no to sharing and reading more info! I'd enjoy seeing what you find important and noteworthy enough to take notes for.
    And I'll take another look at Shane's site. I looked through it before, but it's worth another look.

@Shane

Good info, thanks! I'm likely to hit you up when I get to the point of ordering a spoiler.
    I'll probably stick with the tele column, seems like a minor cost to avoid any issues down the road.

I see lots of info and options in your post

fresh air:
    roof scoop, quarter window scoops, side scoops, rear hatch glass replacement

venting:
    hatch louvers, rear body louvers, diffuser louvers, louvered belly pans, hatch glass replacement

Do any of these options require welding? I'm not against learning, but I currently do not have any experience beyond wielding a spot welder.

If you had to pick a couple of the these for the best (ease of install) to (effectiveness) ratio, what would you choose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good, I'll post a separate thread incase anyone else may be interested in my approach to planning, budgeting, and tracking of my parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess excel files are not allowed to be loaded. What a PITA. Shot me an email and I'll gladly send it to you.

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkster029 View Post
    Well, I've got my eye on an LS3, so I guess no FFR cold air intake.

@Shoeless

I'm not sure anyone would say no to sharing and reading more info! I'd enjoy seeing what you find important and noteworthy enough to take notes for.
    And I'll take another look at Shane's site. I looked through it before, but it's worth another look.

@Shane

Good info, thanks! I'm likely to hit you up when I get to the point of ordering a spoiler.
    I'll probably stick with the tele column, seems like a minor cost to avoid any issues down the road.

I see lots of info and options in your post

fresh air:
    roof scoop, quarter window scoops, side scoops, rear hatch glass replacement

venting:
    hatch louvers, rear body louvers, diffuser louvers, louvered belly pans, hatch glass replacement

Do any of these options require welding? I'm not against learning, but I currently do not have any experience beyond wielding a spot welder.

If you had to pick a couple of the these for the best (ease of install) to (effectiveness) ratio, what would you choose?
    None of the options listed above require welding. The only thing I can think of right now that I offer that requires welding is my Universal Wing Mount System.....that needs to be welded to the rear subframe of the car.

I'd say the effectiveness:ease ratio is probably best filled by the Rear Hatch Glass Replacement Panel since it serves double duty to bring in fresh air and also vent out the heat...and eases the labor of having to modify the body of the car for the rear hatch glass to fit the opening....but it is also by far the most expensive option.

For the less expensive options listed out there for bringing air in, I'd probably recommend the Side Scoop Louvers along with either the Wing Window NACA Ducts or the Quarter Window Scoops.....I'd give the NACA Ducts the advantage for ease of install over the Quarter Window Scoops....but again, those are also the more expensive option. For getting heat out, I'd recommend the Hatch Louvers and Rear Body Louvers. For keeping the cockpit cool, I'd definitely recommend the louvered belly pans...those do make a huge difference in tunnel temps.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    @Shane

That's good info, thank you! That rear hatch does have a higher first-cost, but the savings (time and possibly my sanity) during the build should easily be worth it from what I read about the glass fit-up.

Looks like I've got a few things to add to the list:

window naca ducts
    rear body vents
    both louvered belly pans
    rear hatch replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good! Just let me know when you're ready and we'll get you going.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan,

If you are planning on upgrading your exhaust and going with the Kooks set up you might want to call Shane today. They GTM systems are custom built by Kooks and they are only doing runs of 5 or more. Shane just posted that he is about to put in an order for them and it may be 2019 before he gets the next one going.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Tim

I'm on the list!