Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: brake cable crimps crimper Swaging Ferrules

Post Thanks / Like

brake cable crimps crimper Swaging Ferrules

I had to cut my brake cables they were much too long. I had them given to me by a member here and i need to crimp swaging ferrules on them at the forward mustang equalizer. All my parts are non donor but in this instance they were much too long and didnt work together.

I need them to be like this. Is there a place you could recommend to buy a proper tool and swages for a proper fit using the cut down non donor kit cables?
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 04-02-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a cable swaging tool. These tools are around $100 for a decent one. Your best bet to save some money is to find a local aircraft mechanic as these are a common tool for them. I would imagine they would be willing to help.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    2nd an airframe mechanic, or another idea...
    See if there's a local outfit/supplier for commercial chain & cable - a place that sells lifting, rigging, hoisting supplies. Back in the day doing "Pro-Audio" I used to fab flying frames for loudspeakers - using wire-rope, thimbles, and swedge fittings (NicoPress was the tradename).
    I'd bet that if you brought in your cables all set up & measured you could have them "demo" a setting tool & ferrule for you (and a $10...)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine, over lapped them about 4 inches, and used three cable clamps on each to splice them back together.
    https://www.e-rigging.com/one-eighth...SABEgLBcfD_BwE
    Although I didn't need to, you may want to cut off some of you excess cable.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowe's Hdwe sells a swager for about $25 with single and double ferrules for sale. I used a single ferrule with some loctite under it. I am not on the road, nor using the brake cables yet, but it seems to be holding during testing. You can put 2 ferrules on the same cable or use the 2 cable ferrule with the cable looped back onto itself.
    Last edited by Railroad; 04-03-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all what thickness is the cables in the non donor cables from FFR? I cut them and removed a small part of the plastic for the swedge. They are installed so I don't want to pull them off the car. I'll go to Lowes today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention, I also removed the plastic coating. I used a bushing and sleeve retaining loctite on the cable. Red loctite would be better than nothing, IMO.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    1/8" would be a good bet.

Loctite or similar isn't necessary on a swaged cable stop or joiner. The soft material of the fitting literally melds into the twist of the wire rope - it ain't coming off.
    (a properly done fitting is stronger than the parent cable - the cable will fail before the fitting)

Yes on removing any vinyl coating or sleeving from the wire rope!
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, done this on every car I've built using ferrules and swager from Lowes.

Put a piece of cut off cable in the second hole so that the ferrule will clamp down tightly.

Correct, cables are 1/8" after stripping the vinyl coating.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff posted is what I used on mine when I did the "Fiero" Mod. Lowes sells a "crimper" like Jeff shows for about $30 and the ferrules are a dime-a-dozen (sorta).
    Did mine about four years ago and no issues to date . . .

Ditto on the scrape the nylon/vinyl jacket off before you crimp.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.