Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Deeper mellower side pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Deeper mellower side pipes.

At first I loved the loud powerful sounding pipes on my roadster. As many have said before me, as the miles rack up the loud pipes are loved less. I knew I wanted to change color of the pipes so I decided to try the quiet them. After ordering a new unpolished set my son inlaw and I decide to cut them open and make some alterations.
    We used 2 augers on each side. They were cut down to fit and welded together.
    0F912B78-3738-4A69-B13E-8BEE8EC9A828.jpeg

Welded a screen around the augers
    756A9F0D-86D7-43A5-9C8B-E98AD31907D6.jpeg

Wrapped the packing around the screen and welded it back together. Also rotated the exhaust tip down about 10%. Cleaned them up and had them ceramic coated black.
    450F773E-0367-4222-A414-F453C03804D2.jpeg
    E4DBC9BB-63E4-4B80-A007-1E33C3FADBBC.jpeg

I think the sound quieted enough to make my wife smile. While still loud enough to draw attention it has a deeper rumble to it. While it my cause some back pressure I have no noticeable drop in performance running through the gears.
    I did a field test with a meter before the change and will test these pipes soon to compare. I’ll post them soon.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good to me.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent - looking forward to the results. Do you know anyone that has tried the Flowmaster Slimlines? That's what we're going with, but I have yet to install them and star the car.

Link - https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/s...oderate-sound/
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea/work. Love the color/scheme of your car.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 04-07-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    Excellent - looking forward to the results. Do you know anyone that has tried the Flowmaster Slimlines? That's what we're going with, but I have yet to install them and star the car.

I have read in previous posts about others using them. Don’t know the results.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018

Post Thanks / Like

I used them. Love them. Some before and after sound videos with decibel readings in my build thread. Build thread is linked in my signature. Index in post #1 will direct you to the proper post.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    At first I loved the loud powerful sounding pipes on my roadster. As many have said before me, as the miles rack up the loud pipes are loved less. I knew I wanted to change color of the pipes so I decided to try the quiet them. After ordering a new unpolished set my son inlaw and I decide to cut them open and make some alterations.
    We used 2 augers on each side. They were cut down to fit and welded together.
    0F912B78-3738-4A69-B13E-8BEE8EC9A828.jpeg

Welded a screen around the augers
    756A9F0D-86D7-43A5-9C8B-E98AD31907D6.jpeg

Wrapped the packing around the screen and welded it back together. Also rotated the exhaust tip down about 10%. Cleaned them up and had them ceramic coated black.
    450F773E-0367-4222-A414-F453C03804D2.jpeg
    E4DBC9BB-63E4-4B80-A007-1E33C3FADBBC.jpeg

I think the sound quieted enough to make my wife smile. While still loud enough to draw attention it has a deeper rumble to it. While it my cause some back pressure I have no noticeable drop in performance running through the gears.
    I did a field test with a meter before the change and will test these pipes soon to compare. I’ll post them soon.
    Nice work!
    Any pictures of what was in there when you first cut them open?
    I dont really know what was in mine but like you grew to dislike them after about 1000 miles!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running CATS and Gas-N side pipes. Much lower tone rumble than other cars I've heard. You still know when I'm coming up the street but it's not an unpleasant sound. When I warm it up in the garage I can hardly hear it in the house (but I can feel it). Makes a world of difference.

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Switched to Gas-n's last summer. My welding skills are not quite up to snuff for this mod and they were running a deal at their booth at the LCS last year. Still not cheap, but way cheaper than hearing aids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I used them. Love them. Some before and after sound videos with decibel readings in my build thread. Build thread is linked in my signature. Index in post #1 will direct you to the proper post.
    Thanks for this! The roof on our Type-65 will help for sure, but this is a great vid for comparison.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Slim Line by FlowMaster

I called Flowmaster and discussed the two different Slimline mufflers they sell. They convinced me that they would provide they deeper quieter sound I was looking for. So I purchased the 24" designed for the Cobra. I had them fitted to FFR flanges and turn outs and was shocked when I started the engine. The bark and roar spun heads in the parking lot. These were louder than the blown out pipes I was replacing. I am running 4 into 4 headers with no cat. I was very disappointed. My search continued. I'll post later how I made my mind up to run with Quiet Pipes.
    Craig

Picked up April 2004, completed June 2006 - Ford Racing 351-W, Bored & Stroked to 392ci, 430HP - 475ft/lbs torque. Holley 750 D.P., Tremec 3550, 3-link, FFR 15 Wheels, Color: Indo Ink Pearl with Super White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this. I plan to do a variation of what you have done. In fact, I may copy it exactly.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Classic View Post
    I called Flowmaster and discussed the two different Slimline mufflers they sell. They convinced me that they would provide they deeper quieter sound I was looking for. So I purchased the 24" designed for the Cobra. I had them fitted to FFR flanges and turn outs and was shocked when I started the engine. The bark and roar spun heads in the parking lot. These were louder than the blown out pipes I was replacing. I am running 4 into 4 headers with no cat. I was very disappointed. My search continued. I'll post later how I made my mind up to run with Quiet Pipes.
    We're going with the 36" on our Type-65, maybe a larger case length will help. I've already purchased them, so now I'll have to just see (hear?) how it turns out.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! Just finished reading this thread when I found yours: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Sound-Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I plan to do a variation of what you have done. In fact, I may copy it exactly.

Mark
    I will post the sound result as soon as I get my car back. It’s in the hospital now getting it’s nose fixed. It was attacked by a rouge parking lot curb. The first part of the test was done parked standing 5, 15, 25 feet away and different RMP. Driving was done at different speeds and RPM. I am very anxious to find out the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Kooks sidepipes originally came with augers just like slpro pictured. They were horrible in every way possible. Lousy sound but more importantly they severely choked off the engine and had to resort to some very weird jetting to get it to run. When I finally cut them off the motor just came alive like never before.
    This is what came off.

In my experience this is the worst thing you could do to your car in an attempt to quiet it down. The performance killing back pressure is unbelievable.
    This may not be your solution but I switched to this.

I do however like the tone and volume of the Gas N Pipes however they wont work on my slip fit style headers.
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
    My Kooks sidepipes originally came with augers just like slpro pictured. They were horrible in every way possible. Lousy sound but more importantly they severely choked off the engine and had to resort to some very weird jetting to get it to run. When I finally cut them off the motor just came alive like never before.
    This is what came off.

In my experience this is the worst thing you could do to your car in an attempt to quiet it down. The performance killing back pressure is unbelievable.
    This may not be your solution but I switched to this.

I do however like the tone and volume of the Gas N Pipes however they wont work on my slip fit style headers.
    Frank
    I have yet to test the timed performance like 0 to 60 since I switched from the FFR polished pipes to these. I will do that as soon as I get the car back. I have however run it through the gears and haven’t noticed a difference in acceleration. Looking at your pictures I think the augers I installed might be smaller. My engine is producing around 575hp, so if I am losing some to back pressure I might not be able to tell. Will see what the GPS 0 to 60 tells us in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Nice work!
    Any pictures of what was in there when you first cut them open?
    I dont really know what was in mine but like you grew to dislike them after about 1000 miles!
    Here is what was inside. Was able to reuse half of the white fabric.

D3CAE03E-82AF-4510-9383-EDDFB8DAD5DA.jpeg
    1D342659-C80D-4BC4-8245-A77B6C5BE3C6.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 30" Slimline mufflers and love them. Much quieter than the FFR side pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
    I have the 30" Slimline mufflers and love them. Much quieter than the FFR side pipes.
    Excellent - I've already purchased them, looking forward to hearing them in the upcoming months.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this! The roof on our Type-65 will help for sure, but this is a great vid for comparison.
    On my roadster, it actually sounds louder inside with the top on.

I also have Slimlines. They knock the sound down significantly and take the harsh rasp out. They are still far from quiet, at least on my car.