Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: U-haul Auto Transport Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

U-haul Auto Transport Trailer

Has anyone had experience using a U-haul trailer? Concerned with contact during loading and the tie downs, contact with the front cowl, etc..!
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used one last year to haul my Roadster to the Texas Spring meet. I made extension ramps from 2x8 x4' to reduce the ramp inclinations.
    Rain was iffy, so I tried to wrap my car/interior with the Moving-Size saran wrap (it didn't work and removed it at the first gas stop).
    Other than that, it worked well. I also understand they rent an aluminum version, may be a little easier to pull.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had several cars delivered and picked up using them. Yes, the oil cooler scoop and side pipes are vulnerable but if you raise the tongue of the trailer to flatten out the breakover angle they work well. Leave the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle so that it can't roll when loading and unloading and use a floor jack under the hitch to raise the back of the tow vehicle/front of the trailer a few inches.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the info!

Jim
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the U Haul hauler many times before completion of my roadster. Jacking up the hitch point certainly helps. I hitch the trailer and then use the trailer jack to lift the hitch side. As stated earlier, be certain the trailer is properly hitched before loading.

Another thing to note. The hauler has straps to secure the front of the vehicle but nothing for the rear. My roadster moved on the rear on one haul and almost caused an issue. Get a set of straps and secure the rear if you can.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Have used one several times before I had my own trailer. Agree with the comments above. I didn't have to do anything special. Just be aware, if you aren't already, U-Haul is pretty picky about what tow vehicle they'll allow. Their website will let you describe your tow vehicle and load, and then tell you whether it's OK (for them...).
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a rental truck .

To unload we simply moved the car to the tailgate and then with cardboard under it have 1or 2 people grab the front of the car and slide it out. Then 2 people grab the rear wheel wells when it gets close to the edge and carry it off. We then set it on cardboard on the ground until getting the dollys in place to set it on.
    Note, if you back the truck up to a inclined driveway the back of the truck is low enough to the ground to do this without ramps.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    U-Haul is my #1 recommend for guys without trailers. Only once did we "almost" have a prob. It was on Blown50....we kinda forgot about the full front dam we added......we had to make a little work-a-round and all was well. ...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    If you dont have a jack with you, drive the truck rears up on some 2X's and you will get some tilt on the trailer!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint is finally done, picking up tomorrow with the U-Haul!!

IMG_1591.JPGIMG_1592.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    I used a rental truck .

To unload we simply moved the car to the tailgate and then with cardboard under it have 1or 2 people grab the front of the car and slide it out. Then 2 people grab the rear wheel wells when it gets close to the edge and carry it off. We then set it on cardboard on the ground until getting the dollys in place to set it on.
    Note, if you back the truck up to a inclined driveway the back of the truck is low enough to the ground to do this without ramps.
    You had 2 guys pick up your car? Who where they, the Hulk and Iron Man?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I'd let Iron Man anywhere near my Cobra.

https://youtu.be/M7Ew-kM9naQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    i don't think i'd let iron man anywhere near my cobra.

https://youtu.be/m7ew-km9naq
    yeah ! I remembar that !!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Late last year we used one to move my car up to my brothers home to keep it high and dry since we had a low-speed twister (Hurricane) in the Gulf coming to pay us a visit.
    It worked fine and the car was at ride height with the body on so my advice is to just be careful loading and unloading.
    We actually used a U-Haul to bring a really cool car home from Florida to Louisiana, but it was tough loading.
    My brother prized T/A was way tougher to load than my MK-4 since it is longer and is very, very low.
    Shown below is that very, very low car that has very, very low miles on it:

http://www.gm-efi.com/features/featu...kworks-mecham/

We've now purchased a trailer that will carry either car with less loading drama!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-07-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just rented one yesterday. Incredibly convenient and easy. I loaded in my driveway, that has an incline, without issue. When I dropped it off at the shop to get the front end alignment I noticed that the drivers side exhaust, which is a little too low in the rear, scrapped ever so slightly. The are mach up pipes, so it is not an issue, will be sure to get the Gas 'N Pipes right before it moves an inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Late last year we used one to move my car up to my brothers home to keep it high and dry since we had a low-speed twister (Hurricane) in the Gulf coming to pay us a visit.
    It worked fine and the car was at ride height with the body on so my advice is to just be careful loading and unloading.
    We actually used a U-Haul to bring a really cool car home from Florida to Louisiana, but it was tough loading.
    My brother prized T/A was way tougher to load than my MK-4 since it is longer and is very, very low.

We've now purchased a trailer that will carry either car with less loading drama!
    So GoDad, what did you purchase and what are you using to pull it?
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    You had 2 guys pick up your car? Who where they, the Hulk and Iron Man?
    No, It isn’t that increadable heavy.
    My neighbor on the front and my son and his friend on the rear. I moved the cardboard. : )

Probably just over 400lbs is all. 200+ per end. Not a finished car.
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    We picked up a 16-foot dovetailed car trailer from my pal Darrell who is the fellow that helped me set the car up for the SBC with ZF 6-Speed combo.
    The task of pulling it ends up behind brother's Suburban since all we have at Camp Go-Da-Go is a 1995 Corvette, 2000 Camaro, 2005 GMC Canyon & 2012 Dodge Challenger.
    Not The Best Stuff For Toting Big Stuff By Any Means!

Post Thanks / Like
    U-Haul trailer worked perfectly! Not having side pipes mounted certainly helped!

IMG_1609.JPG

21. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to tow my roadster 600 miles tomorrow on the Uhaul car carrier. The concern for me is rain. I bought a car cover and plan to rope it down enough so the cover doesn’t flap. It’s still gelcoat, so I’m not concerned about paint. Anyone had any problems with this?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the statement below about uHaul & the tow vehicle.

My 4X4 Ranger was a no-go & I had to use my 4X4 Expedition which has a tow package. Total weight of the tow can't be anymore then 80% of the tow vehicle. Be sure you have the 2" receiver. On loading the car mine went on the trailer both with & without the body with no issues. Some spotters help a lot. Might be a plan if you are worried about ground clearance to jack the car up on its coil-overs.

Covered the chassis with a blue tarp & bungee cords. Painted car was brought home bare with just a tonneau cover.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-14-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

24. Thanks GTBradley, WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Who’s doing your paint?
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I towed mine home 9 hours and 3 of them were in the rain and snow. No tarp, only gelcoat. The rain didn’t get in the cabin at all. The only thing was the sidepipes eventually rusted.

Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    I plan to tow my roadster 600 miles tomorrow on the Uhaul car carrier. The concern for me is rain. I bought a car cover and plan to rope it down enough so the cover doesn’t flap. It’s still gelcoat, so I’m not concerned about paint. Anyone had any problems with this?
    Last edited by RAMRobAZ; 06-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    Factory Five Racing Roadster MKIV -- #9196 -- 347ci, 475 HP, 5 Speed, Plymouth Prowler Orange Metallic

27. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    Who’s doing your paint?
    Bart Jones in Kansas City. He’s got some experience with FFR Roadsters and KC is my hometown.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.