Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How Far Has the 818 Come Since Release?

Post Thanks / Like

How Far Has the 818 Come Since Release?

I was on the original waiting list, but ended up getting cold feet and never completed the purchase.

But it's been about 5 years now, I've got my Corvette up for sale, and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 818R. I really like the new front design (headlights were one of my only complaints before).

I've watched the GRM YouTube videos, read some of the build threads, but I'm just curious about what has changed in the last 5 years? Has Factory Five been making gradual improvements to the 818? Has the build process become less finicky? Has anything else improved? Anything gotten worse?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'd be better off to ask someone at FFR since us mushrooms on the outside don't know what's coming down the pipeline. As with any product, incremental improvements have been implemented, however it still won't be a snap-together kit by any means. Read the thread entitled "why has everybody sold their 818?".

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that most of the improvements to the design have been created by 818 builders. I wont be surprised to see numerous builder contributed improvements become part of the new 818 update, whenever that happens. I hope it does happen, and I further hope that new 818s have at least some factory improvements that can be retro-fitted to first gen 818s. It is a fun kit to build and the car can be made to look awesome, but as with most things, it will take a lot of blood sweat and tears to get there. I strongly suggest you know whether you are a builder or not and if not, I am might suggest you consider another car kit that is more plug and play (if one exists). For the money, I dont think you can get anything on the market that is better than the 818 (assuming mid-engine sports cars are your thing).

Good luck with your decision! I also suggest visiting an 818 in progress if possible, You will see what a 'real' one looks like up close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plan on spending minimum $35k, not including labor to have an 818R. There are still issues FFR has not addressed. The builders are just fixing them on their dime and time.

I sold mine and bought a NP01 Prototype. Best decision ever.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly, I've never looked into the R beyond the forum posts. What class/organization does it run in, and is it a competitive option? More of a track-day car?

Post Thanks / Like
    In NASA it runs in ST 1, 2 or 3 depending on power level. My car is built to ST2 spec, I have not raced it yet but do have a bunch of laps on it here and run laps that are more than competitive at NCM. I can race the car with SCCA in regional events.
    If someone is looking for a fun fast track day car for what I am into my car it is hard to beat IMO.
    DSR 3 do know Dave Arkin, he may still be racing a DSR and is from the San Jose area. He was my SCCA drivers school instructor in the mid seventy's.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 04-08-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at the R as a track day car, autocross, and just general fun driving. It will be street registered but mostly just so I can drive it to local autocross events.

I'm curious why the minimum build cost would be $35k.

I've already got a donor, 2002 WRX 5-spd with body damage all over it, 150k miles on it, but everything I need is good to go. Although of course I'll do basic refresh on the engine. I bought it for $3300. I'm not going much over stock power, just a basic tune will be fine for a long time.

I was thinking more like $25k, to get it on the road and reliable, but if it goes over that, no problem. I'm not a kid living paycheck to paycheck or anything. I was planning on spending around $30k for a fun track car anyways, Lotus Elise was the top contender, but I would want to do a Lotus 211 lookalike, which would put me way over that mark.

I'm looking forward to it as a grandfather, father, son, daughter project that we can do over the next year or two on the weekends.

Oh, I have ridden in a 818S (pre-facelift) with a local guy. I was pretty pleased overall with it. The R is more my style, I just like the old Can-Am style cars, I've also considered the much more expensive RCR Lola T70 kit as well.
    Last edited by bnr32jason; 04-08-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am right at $36K for my R build, could have been less but I opted for AP Brakes, Willwood pedal assembly, fuel cell, Iwire harness, AIM Dash +++.
    I am running a stock 2L with a JDM VF37 twinscroll turbo with 2 mild tunes 14 PSI boost 265hp and 18psi boost 285hp. My car is 1816# right at 2000# with me I did spend a good bit of time looking for weight savings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have a very early kit, #25, I've seen many more improvements than some of the guys with higher numbers. Also, I previously built a Factory Five Mk3 roadster so I've seen how FFR makes improvements. My Mk3 had lots of improvements over the Mk1 and Mk2, yet the later Mk3.1 and Mk4 were further evolved. From my limited point of view, it appears to me that FFR gets a lot of their improvement ideas from builders, as it should. Then, in-house engineering refines changes to the basic kit, designs accessories, or secures outside sources.

For the 818, I've seen FFR make running changes to the hood pin mount and the A pillar, but there are probably other running changes to later kits that I didn't see, since they are unannounced improvements. FFR improved the front of the body with a complete redesign that included new headlights, grill and frame supports, using the original hood, thus a running change to new kits and a retro-fit for older kits. FFR designed a splitter, spoiler, rocker extensions, wiper kit, aluminum shifter, S trunk, rear diffuser, front canards, side air scoops, harness bar and steering wheel adapter. FFR also created a hard top that included power door windows, a new door frame, outside door handles and interior window wall. They also sourced Wilwood brakes, a soft top, wheels and padded interior panels and dash. I wish a lot of those improvements were available to me but as an early adopter I liked being a pioneer. Will there be future improvements? Based on the evolution of the Roadster from Mk1 to Mk4 in about 20 years, I think the 818 has shown good progress and will keep evolving along with the other FFR models.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    In NASA it runs in ST 1, 2 or 3 depending on power level. My car is built to ST2 spec, I have not raced it yet but do have a bunch of laps on it here and run laps that are more than competitive at NCM. I can race the car with SCCA in regional events.
    If someone is looking for a fun fast track day car for what I am into my car it is hard to beat IMO.
    DSR 3 do know Dave Arkin, he may still be racing a DSR and is from the San Jose area. He was my SCCA drivers school instructor in the mid seventy's.
    Thanks for the info. It seems that NASA has a home for about everything- nice that even different build levels fit in different classes.
    Dave Arken- yea, I've known Dave, Ted, and most of the Nor-Cal group since I started looking to move from Formula Ford to DSR. He was a big part of the AMAC DSR's, and I built one of the last ones. Dave's still racing- not sure about instructing. He's a great guy and has helped many racers with many things over the many years.LS-T2_.jpg Here we are dueling at Laguna Seca- I do miss it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in the East Bay, Castro Valley, left California in 1990. Still consider Sears Point and Laguna Seca my home tracks. I will be driving my buddy Larry Oka's IMSA GTU 240Z at the Monterey Reunion this year, I am really excited to get back to laguna.
    If you cross paths with Dave say hello for me.