Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Russ's Turn signal install- Not a question about wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Russ's Turn signal install- Not a question about wiring

Installed Russ's turn signal this morning, nice unit by the way. In order for it to not rub on the steering wheel, the steering shaft needed to slide out quite a bit. So much so, I exposed the belleville washer. Russ's unit is all the way flush with the frame. Now I could remove the mounting bracket on the turn signal and drill new holes which should provide me more clearance. However, before I do that I'm curious if anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
    Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, guess I'm the only one with this issue. Going to remove the mounting bracket so I can reposition the turn signal closer to the steering shaft bearing.

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    I've installed several of those and never had that problem. Maybe post a picture of the turn signal and steering wheel area? How far is your steering wheel from the dash? Don't know what vintage your kit is. FF made a change to the pillow mounting. Is yours the newer version? I know Russ had to change the design of his turn signal setup because of the change made by FF.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are having an issue with Russ' TS module or anything to do with its installation, I'd contact Russ - he's the best at following thru with any product he makes or sells. I'm sure he will be more than willing to correct any wrong parts or talk you thru the installation.

Like EdwardB stated, F5 made a change to the steering pillow block and positions recently, sounds like you might have the earlier version of Russ' TS and are putting it in a later version MKIV.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 04-08-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I did reach out to Russ before posting here. Like everyone else, Russ has never heard of this being an issue. He thought the steering bearing needed to be turned around because the turn signal is butted up against it. However, even if it were facing the other direction the bracket on the turn signal that mounts to the frame is flush. I did reverse the bearing regardless. The dash to the steering wheel (wood portion) is 4 3/4 at the 12 o'clock position. Sorry for the lack of a photo, my phone died.
    The only thing I can think of that would give me a shorter length is the steering column where it’s bolted could be just ¼ of an inch lower than most?

Thanks again for the help,
    Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dash to steering wheel is a little more than my Mk4, but not enough to make the kind of difference you're seeing. Just snapped this picture of the steering column in my Coupe build. 99% sure it's the same part. The locations for the Belleville washers are well inside the other part. If yours is similar to this, I'd be concerned it's not in far enough. Regardless of the turn signal situation.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ed,

The second dimple for the washer is well inside the shaft now so, no concerns. I only needed to move the bracket about ¼ inch. I drilled out the rivets and cut the angled bracket and welded it closer to the hub. This provided me the clearence needed to slide the unit closer to the dash. Found that this seemed like the easiest method. Reinstalled and works like a charm. It’s not that close to the dash than others I have looked at so, I should be good to go.

Love seeing your builds, what an inspiration!!!!

Appreciate the follow up and assistance.

Mick